How will they condense FFC and DWD into Season 5? (book spoilers)

tblackjacks

God damn D and D if they replace so many great characters. Clearly their fan fiction sucks for the most part for example the casters keep stuff from season 4 was just contrived and terrible. Season 5 will be a train wreck if they fuck with GRRM material to such extent. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

...glad you're so optimistic about the whole thing.

God damn D and D if they replace so many great characters. Clearly their fan fiction sucks for the most part for example the casters keep stuff from season 4 was just contrived and terrible. Season 5 will be a train wreck if they fuck with GRRM material to such extent. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

What great characters are you referring to?

Have you read this thread at all what's to be optimistic about exactly? Sorry that I enjoy the new characters and want to see them on the show.

I've commented on this thread for a while, actually. I have absolutely no problem with the show taking this approach because IMO, Martin was wrong to add so many in the first place. I'm optimistic that the show will get us closer to the story we SHOULD have gotten in the books, if only Martin hadn't decided to put his main characters on the back burner to go traipsing around Westeros with every minor character imaginable.

So yeah, I'm quite optimistic to see what the show gives us.

Just the same characters that have been mentioned, Vic, Euron, Aegon, Jon con, Adrianne, Quentyn, LS. Granted maybe they're not everyone's favorite characters but they're important to the plot that is unless the plot is completely changed.

To be honest, Manderly and Aegon are the only two I really want to see. I never really connected with any of the Martells or Greyjoys, and I only want Aegon because I believe it establishes Varys as more of a player. But to each his own.

I can see your point, but this huge universe he's created shouldn't be limited to the original characters IMO. Did you dislike the last two books? Interesting stuff happened with these characters while the main characters also had great moments, I found it to be enjoyable.

I don't like AFFC very much at all. I thought ADWD was a definite improvement, but it still suffered from being too drawn out in some places.

If I had to pick the characters I wanted to see the most in the next season, it would be Manderly, Aegon, JonCon and Doran. If I don't get them or only get some version of them, I'm fine with that. Personally, though, I think the story is much stronger when it revolves around the established main characters and their storylines rather than introducing us to a bunch of new characters or promoting minor characters to POVs and following them.

If I were Martin and I were writing this story, I would have probably stuck with the POV characters from the first two books throughout the story. I would have also 'expanded' my universe with short stories or stories or histories or whatever. I just think ASoIaF expands too much after ASoS, and it desperately needs to be reigned back in in order to make sense to a tv audience.

I can see your point, but this huge universe he's created shouldn't be limited to the original characters IMO. Did you dislike the last two books? Interesting stuff happened with these characters while the main characters also had great moments, I found it to be enjoyable.

I didn't like Feast all that much for the same reasons other people have mentioned. After Storm of Swords, I felt like the plot didn't really move anywhere and I felt he added too many new pov characters when I wanted to know what happened to the ones I've already connected with. Dance was better and I could actually feel it building towards something big, but then it just stopped, with Jon Snow's fate ending on a cliffhanger. I was a little bitter knowing that I probably wouldn't find out what happened to him for 3-4 years, if we're lucky. But I only read both of the books once, and I've heard several people say they're better on a reread, so I'll give them another shot, eventually. I understand what you're saying about how the universe Martin created should include more of his characters, but I'm grateful that at least they've added characters from each of the main Houses: Lannister, Stark, Greyjoy, Martell, Tyrell, Tully, Baratheon, Arryn.

I would have probably stuck with the POV characters from the first two books throughout the story.

I liked the patern of two more PoV characters for books 2 and 3 (Theon / Davos, Jaime / Sam) and would have liked if it continued this way...

That being said, I loved AFFC, but mostly because, I think, I read the five books in a row and finished Feast like two days after Dance was released. Reading the story this way was great and I loved all the new characters (except maybe the uselesness of the Arys Oakheart chapter).

actually, i hate all the Greyjoy stuff. While reading it i was just like "goddammit Martin, why are you setting this up? I thought u want to be done after 7 books???"

the Martell stuff is at least contributing to Danys and Aegons storylines. But that greyjoy stuff...i mean, there is so much going on already, did we really need one more faction of violent idiots that want to conquer the world?

actually, i hate all the Greyjoy stuff. While reading it i was just like "goddammit Martin, why are you setting this up? I thought u want to be done after 7 books???"

the Martell stuff is at least contributing to Danys and Aegons storylines. But that greyjoy stuff...i mean, there is so much going on already, did we really need one more faction of violent idiots that want to conquer the world?

Yes.

Some of the cast members can keep their appearence in the show in shadows. For example last season we had no idea that Peter Vaughan was going to return as maester Aemon.

Exactly, so there's still a chance we may see him. I really hope we do, i find Manderly a very interesting character and i'd be disappointed if he didn't appear in next season.

Vaughan was a returning castmember, not a new casting, so that's not quite the same thing (he also had only one scene).

It seems like the Northern plotline has a lot left to film, though, so I'd wait a bit longer before conclusively foreclosing on the matter. I wouldn't say it looks great, though.

Archived