The Growing Gap Between ASOIAF and GOT (Book Spoilers)

Sword of the Morgan

I'm always surprised when I read people saying things like this or that was merely shit filler, or what horrible writers D&D are.

Until we know how it all ends, we can't really determine what is or isn't filler. Sure, some of it is, I'd guess, but I'd bet not all of it is. This is, of course, only my opinon, and I know there are many different opinions.

As to people talking about what horrible writers D&D are, sure, some of the writing is not what I'd condiser great, and a bit of it not even that good. However, I would guess at least most of the people who deride the work D&D are doing have no experience of what it is to adapt something from page to screen. I would ask those people if they think they could do a better, or even as good of a job.

I've done some adapting, although what I was adapting was already in dialogue form (plays) and needed to be truncated for time (usually a 3+ hour play adapted down to about an hour...this was for youth theatre programs). I know how difficult just that is. I can't imagine taking so much material and condensing it down to less than 70 hours of screen time. Add to that the intricacies of the story, it become that much more daunting of a prospect.

Well I think we can all agree that purist book readers prefer season one.

I think we can agree that many fans like different seasons better.And if book purists believe Season 1 was best, at least some of that might be because it was the only season to come out before all of the new fans came crashing in....

I'm always surprised when I read people saying things like this or that was merely shit filler, or what horrible writers D&D are.

Until we know how it all ends, we can't really determine what is or isn't filler. Sure, some of it is, I'd guess, but I'd bet not all of it is. This is, of course, only my opinon, and I know there are many different opinions.

As to people talking about what horrible writers D&D are, sure, some of the writing is not what I'd condiser great, and a bit of it not even that good. However, I would guess at least most of the people who deride the work D&D are doing have no experience of what it is to adapt something from page to screen. I would ask those people if they think they could do a better, or even as good of a job.

I've done some adapting, although what I was adapting was already in dialogue form (plays) and needed to be truncated for time (usually a 3+ hour play adapted down to about an hour...this was for youth theatre programs). I know how difficult just that is. I can't imagine taking so much material and condensing it down to less than 70 hours of screen time. Add to that the intricacies of the story, it become that much more daunting of a prospect.

Beetles monologue while no Tysha reveal=pointless shit filler...

Beetles monologue while no Tysha reveal=pointless shit filler...

No it wasn't. He was trying to figure out the point to all of this violence and death....

It was a very good scene. If that scene was in the books first, people would be saying how great it was in the show.

No it wasn't. He was trying to figure out the point to all of this violence and death....

It was a very good scene. If that scene was in the books first, people would be saying how great it was in the show.

It may have been good if it hadn't gone for so long. At least in the book, that wouldn't have been such a problem, GRRM can make his books as long as he wants to - though I'm sure many would mention it as an example of GRRM being too verbose and repetitive, the whole thing could have been conveyed if Tyrion had stopped after 25% of his speech. But in a show where they are constantly saying that they don't have enough time for everything, with just 10 episodes per season, it gets annoying when he just goes on and on saying basically the same thing and you keep waiting when he would finish.

It may have been good if it hadn't gone for so long. At least in the book, that wouldn't have been such a problem, GRRM can make his books as long as he wants to - though I'm sure many would mention it as an example of GRRM being too verbose and repetitive, the whole thing could have been conveyed if Tyrion had stopped after 25% of his speech. But in a show where they are constantly saying that they don't have enough time for everything, with just 10 episodes per season, it gets annoying when he just goes on and on saying basically the same thing and you keep waiting when he would finish.

:agree: :bowdown:

This has always really bothered me.

I'm not saying it was awful, but I agree with AS that it was too long. And the Tysha reveal is fucking important. Very important. Without it it seems odd that Tyrion would go up to Tywin's chambers. Jamie's reveal sets Tyrion into a tail spin, in which he rejects his family and is consumed by hate, especially for Tywin.

Hell, it could have been fine if Tyrion was talking about it in Essos. But where they placed it, along with what time it took away from other things in the show, was not effective, for me.

My personal problem with this scene is that it exists and everybody remembers it well while at the same time, show runners have said that they avoid many explanations and plots because they don't really think that the audience will understand long explanations.

Fuck them.

My personal problem with this scene is that it exists and everybody remembers it well while at the same time, show runners have said that they avoid many explanations and plots because they don't really think that the audience will understand long explanations.

Fuck them.

...what you said makes absolutely no sense. Tyrion wasn't 'explaining' anything. It was a thematic conversation.

It was two people talking to each other.

For HBO, two people can't talk to each other and explain or expose things unless they're banging each other.

:lmao: :cheers:

Fuck them

I don't think there was a single instance of "sexposition" in s4. Sure there was sex and there was exposition but I'm hard-pressed to recall them being paired at all this year.

Homer's sentiment matches my own:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PU8KCBZtpEk

It was two people talking to each other.

For HBO, two people can't talk to each other and explain or expose things unless they're banging each other.

It wasn't explaining any thing, it was exploring one of the overall themes of the show. The conversation was a metaphor, not an explanation of anything. There's a HUGE difference between the two.

You don't have the like the conversation. But you are trying to make it out to be something it never was in the first place (a long explanation) and then say that D&D are guilty of breaking their own rules. It's nonsense.

Boo or no boo, Arya's Lord Commander, there wasn't any in s4 (that I can recall). Prove me wrong if you care to.

I'm not saying that I care for the show's many sex scenes, just that unlike in s1 the "sexposition" technique wasn't utilized. It has a very specific definition and shouldn't be applied when that is not meant.

Boo or no boo, Arya's Lord Commander, there wasn't any in s4 (that I can recall). Prove me wrong if you care to.

I'm not saying that I care for the show's many sex scenes, just that unlike in s1 the "sexposition" technique wasn't utilized.

I'm booing cause there wasn't any.

And I see what you did there with my name. My Queen can change her face. She might be right behind you as you read this....

I'm not saying that I care for the show's many sex scenes, just that unlike in s1 the "sexposition" technique wasn't utilized.

There wasn't. All of the times that we had sex (or rape) on the screen, no one was explaining any sort of plot thread.

With Littlefinger no longer in the brothel, we seem to get much less of that.

I actually thought Viserys and Doreah was a good scene, so I don't disdain the technique altogether. LF, Ros and Aremca however is quite the grating scene.

I'm honestly shocked that we didn't get LF droning on about power and chaos while we heard him banging Lysa XD

Of course, I'm totally picturing it in my head now and laughing my ass off XD

I'm honestly shocked that we didn't get LF droning on about power and chaos while we heard him banging Lysa XD

Of course, I'm totally picturing it in my head now and laughing my ass off XD

Now I can't get Lumbergh out of my head:

http://uploadsociety.com/video_v100031

The bathtub scene with Viserys and Doreah remains to this day one of my favourite scenes in the whole show. I's go as far as to say it's the only "original" scene in the show I like so far.

I consider "sexposition" to be a improvement over the complete random gratuity we got this season. (Myranda, anyone?)

Archived