Heresy 130

Black Crow

OK so I'm happy to concede that wights can be eaten, but there's still absolutely nothing in the text to suggest that Craster's boys are shepherds and that they are not using the wights as cannon fodder but as children fodder.

Well, my two cents worth is that with the heavy fae references, the morlock hints, the sickly and morbid changling nods, the Beowolf similarities, and the directness of Gendels hungry children, etc, etc, it sure seems like there's something living underground that wants to eat things...

Now with regards these human skulls in the cave. BR is on his last legs but yet has a root growing through his eye socket. I was under the impression that if you were a greenseer and became one with the tree then you remained in your Weirwood throne even after death as part of the Weirwood network. Could be wrong but I thought that the bones littered around the cave were the bones of sacrifices where the Weirwood drinks the blood aka the last vision in Brans Weirwood flash backs. A bit macabre I know but there are too many bones in that cave for them all to have been greenseers.

The bones, to me, were of animals that the singers had eaten.

wolfmaid7 brought up an interesting theory that the singers are collecting "songs" of other races, and the skulls would be their trophies of that race. The human skulls in their collection could be past human greenseers, that the singers think are worthy enough to be displayed in their collection.

OK so I'm happy to concede that wights can be eaten, but there's still absolutely nothing in the text to suggest that Craster's boys are shepherds and that they are not using the wights as cannon fodder but as children fodder.

I think their are several subtle hints that indicate they are and to add there's no evidence that the wws are using them as canon fodder.We only have what people believe,but you nor i have yet to see wws leading wights "to attack humans".But lead them they can,i still think there's something in that Gendel story.Plus i really think this is cyclical and predates men.

Its between the lines if you think about the make up of the COTF,everything about their physical make up and coloring says they are canivorous,nocturnal and warm blooded.So what happens when it gets so cold it freezes the balls off a brass monkey and the aforementioned above can't go outside to hunt because it's clearly not their time to be above ground?

I think the little cheese,a goat and blind fish once in a while can only do so much.The relationship is seen in nature as "Commensalism" one species benefits while the other is not helped or harmed.

I think the Children eat the wights.<snip>

:agree:

Well, my two cents worth is that with the heavy fae references, the morlock hints, the sickly and morbid changling nods, the Beowolf similarities, and the directness of Gendels hungry children, etc, etc, it sure seems like there's something living underground that wants to eat things...

:agree: totally

The bones, to me, were of animals that the singers had eaten.

wolfmaid7 brought up an interesting theory that the singers are collecting "songs" of other races, and the skulls would be their trophies of that race. The human skulls in their collection could be past human greenseers, that the singers think are worthy enough to be displayed in their collection.

I think that's what the ones in the niche are for,they had songs and are held in regard.The bones on the ground i think were remnants of food.

I'd hesitate to introduce red priests, as such, way back when, but we've talked before about magic being magic and its only how you use it or dress it up that's different. The power to work this particular magic may have been around from the start, but worked in different ways. What after all is a kiss if not a touch.

True true. Maybe not the red lot after all but something similar. There are a few variations of the living dead. If I remember correctly these people are on the eastern coast. Probably worshiping old gods or others besides the ones of the North, and they are closer to Essos. So these strange talking heads magic could of come from anywhere. It is weird that it is only the head.

But, I think it may still tie into the red lot in someway. If this ki$$ is true then it could have traveled east instead of west.

I think the Children eat the wights.

As discussed upthread, I think the CotF will eat just about anything meaty, which like Summer, might include wights in times of necessity. However, I doubt that the wights' purpose, their raison d'être, is to be eaten by the CotF (though I'm not sure if that's actually what you and wolfmaid are implying).

As discussed upthread, I think the CotF will eat just about anything meaty, which like Summer, might include wights in times of necessity. However, I doubt that the wights' purpose, their raison d'être, is to be eaten by the CotF (though I'm not sure if that's actually what you and wolfmaid are implying).

Agree

Based on Sam's thoughts I think they led the attack on the Fist.

agree

He certainly didn't want to think about it, and the very fact that they were in his thoughts in the first place is significant.

and agree

I noticed that Skinchaning Sweetrobin has a new video series regarding the Tower of Joy, which we spent a great deal of time on last thread. I would recommend at least the beginning of the video, where he mocks all of the R+L=J fantasies that Jon and Daenerys will unite the realm into utter harmony.

No not what i'm saying atlease not so 'dry",in the totality its about balance. The COTF can't hunt during Winter,they didn't evolve for that environment.Again Commensalism type relationship with the WWs.

Agree

agree and agree

Disagree based on text

Based on Sam's thoughts I think they led the attack on the Fist.

Um these thoughts?

"I'm cold," said Barmen. "Please. I'm cold.,,

For all the heat and smoke in Craster's hall, Sam felt cold himself. And

tired, so tired. He needed sleep, but whenever he closed his eyes he dreamed

of blowing snow and dead men shambling toward him with black hands and bright

blue eyes.ASOS Sam 240

"Do you think the Wights will be back?"

"They only come when it's cold."

"Yes," said Sam, "but is it the cold that brings the wights, or the wights

that bring the cold?"

"Who cares?" Grenn's axe sent wood chips flying. "They come together, that's

what matters. Hey, now that we know that dragonglass kills them, maybe they

won't come at all. Maybe they're frightened of us now!"

Sam wished he could believe that, but it seemed to him that when you were

dead, fear had no more meaning than pain or love or duty. He wrapped his hands

around his legs, sweating under his layers of wool and leather and fur. The

dragonglass dagger had melted the pale thing in the woods, true ... but Grenn

was talking like it would do the same to the wights. We don't know that, he

thought. We don't know anything, really

(indicating the Pale thing in the woods aka Ser Puddles was the First time he saw a thing that looked like that else why only mention him and not what the suppoosed wws were actually doing on the Fist)

"He emerged beneath a sky the color of white lead. A snow sky, Sam thought, squinting up. The

prospect made him uneasy. He remembered that night on the Fist of the First Men when the

wights and the snows had come together.(affc sam chpt 5).

Or this one that you all claim is fact:

He was still shrieking for quarter as the wight lifted him in the air by the throat and near ripped the head off him. The dead have no mercy left in them, and the Others... no, I mustn’t think of that, don’t think, don’t remember, just walk, just walk, just walk(ASOS,Sam).

In light of the above mentioned clear cut quotes,this is Sam imagining what in his mind is the worst that could happen.And the worst that could happen based on the stories of legend is the WWs.As my friend Snowfyre Chorus rigthfully put it,Sam was seeing Wights and "thinking" WWs.Why because that's what the stories led everyone to believe.

Come on now guys,come on, really?

Come on now guys,come on, really?

It's pretty clearly implied that the Others were there. You don't struggle to not think about things you've never seen before.

ETA: Not a double, but a triple negative in the second sentence. Is there a prize for that?

Archived