Which is really bloodier and more violent- Game of Thrones or Harry Potter?

Pod The Rod

Especially with the last book, the Harry Potter books would be seen as a lot darker if it wasn't for the standard happy ending.

I didn't know ASOIAF had hipsters!

dude, come on, you have people like us, that rip every fragment of symbolism and analogy/metaphor apart TO THE DETAIL, and then you have people show-only and think Daenerys' real name is KHALEESI. dude, the series belongs to US. If this makes me a hipster, i fully endorse it. I fully acknowledge elitism.

dude, come on, you have people like us, that rip every fragment of symbolism and analogy/metaphor apart TO THE DETAIL, and then you have people show-only and think Daenerys' real name is KHALEESI. dude, the series belongs to US. If this makes me a hipster, i fully endorse it. I fully acknowledge elitism.

"Jim, the judgmental guy who has only read the books. We all have a Jim in our lives."

I went through that phase with HP :lol: With GoT... I gave up because Fuck you, HBO.

But I get your point, jokes aside. There is nothing more frustrating than reading a book, analyse such book, identifying with the characters, making parallels, even feeling that it can teach you something useful for your life... and then, it's all mainstream and everything "new fans" care about is if Character X is going to hook up with Character Y (bonus if X and Y are both hot straight males).

Neither are as violent as the children's animated movie Cars. Oh sure, it's just a bunch of cars, right? But the cars are personified. Imagine if they were actually people. They're torn to shreds, disemboweled, tortured, gruesomely killed, etc. One day someone will remake it with people, and it will be terrifying.

"Jim, the judgmental guy who has only read the books. We all have a Jim in our lives."

Nyeeeeh.... Thats not how it happened in the book.... *pushes up glasses*

I went through that phase with HP :lol: With GoT... I gave up because Fuck you, HBO.

But I get your point, jokes aside. There is nothing more frustrating than reading a book, analyse such book, identifying with the characters, making parallels, even feeling that it can teach you something useful for your life... and then, it's all mainstream and everything "new fans" care about is if Character X is going to hook up with Character Y (bonus if X and Y are both hot straight males).

This series is so developed... On first read-through, yeah, it was all POV characters, their perspective, will Daenerys make it to westeros. 2nd read through? you ask more in depth questions like, was the ghost of high heart telling rhaeger the secrets that made him depressed because he used to bring his harp to summerhall and play and she charges for her prophecies in song?

these feebleminded fools will NEVER amount to US!

....and then HBO just GIVES this to them. at 3/10's of the impact this series SHOULD have. and it's ACCEPTED?!

Neither are as violent as the children's animated movie Cars. Oh sure, it's just a bunch of cars, right? But the cars are personified. Imagine if they were actually people. They're torn to shreds, disemboweled, tortured, gruesomely killed, etc. One day someone will remake it with people, and it will be terrifying.

Please read some children's stories. The "original" ones, not the disneyfied version. It's worse than anything I ever read in adult stories.

But that's ok, it's just a story for children. :dunno:

If they're enjoying it, I don't see the problem, not everyone is an obsessive. It's ok to have a casual interest in something. The show is great, it's not only great television but it's got way more people reading the books (including me). You say you hate it being mainstream, but I'd say I want as many people as possible to enjoy it. I knowing being cliquey about things can give you more of an identity, and everyone likes to belong, but isn't it better that more people recognise and enjoy something that's great? It isn't like anyone's stopping us geeking out on here.

Please read some children's stories. The "original" ones, not the disneyfied version. It's worse than anything I ever read in adult stories.

But that's ok, it's just a story for children. :dunno:

I tried to explain to my daughter that the little mermaid turns into sea foam after cutting out her tongue and contemplating murder. She would have none of it.

it's all mainstream and everything "new fans" care about is if Character X is going to hook up with Character Y (bonus if X and Y are both hot straight males).

If you're into anime, you'll become numb to it after a while.

I got into ASOIAF because of GoT so I'm not going to badmouth it (at least not until I surpass it), but reading the books it does make me a little sad some of the stuff that they cut off in the show, like Ned's dream of the Tower of Joy which is one of my favorite moments.

If they're enjoying it, I don't see the problem, not everyone is an obsessive. It's ok to have a casual interest in something. The show is great, it's not only great television but it's got way more people reading the books (including me). You say you hate it being mainstream, but I'd say I want as many people as possible to enjoy it. I knowing being cliquey about things can give you more of an identity, and everyone likes to belong, but isn't it better that more people recognise and enjoy something that's great? It isn't like anyone's stopping us geeking out on here.

NO! Youre WRONG! ;)

Admittedly, while i watch the show with friends around (who dont read it), it's frustrating because you have to handicap your knowledge to whatever moment has appeared that very second on tv. You know? And then when "that old due killed the mother, it was TERRIBLE!" Or, "yeah, that little girl with the Hound is going to be bad ass." "Wait, WHO just died?"

it's first world frustrations, i know.

If you're into anime, you'll become numb to it after a while.

I got into ASOIAF because of GoT so I'm not going to badmouth it (at least not until I surpass it), but reading the books it does make me a little sad some of the stuff that they cut off in the show, like Ned's dream of the Tower of Joy which is one of my favorite moments.

This. Ghost Of High Heart. Tower Of Joy. There's like ZERO reference to blue roses, or jon's heritage. NO ONE WILL KNOW WHO LYANNA EVEN IS when she's revealed. No one even knows what the hell the tower of joy, or even Arthur Dayne, is. I mean are you kidding me?!

dont get me wrong, i love GoT and theyre doing a great job with it, and i understand with budget, and timing limited to 10 episodes per season, that you cant include EVERYTHING. they cut CH (and it's been mentioned to death), theres 80% chance theyre cutting The Lady, and yet, everyone's complaining that the show will surpass the books.

...if you took more time, including MORE of the actual story, it'd take longer to catch up to george. granted, ratings would lower slightly, because not all the extra info is action-packed, but still, youd maximize your time output by including more story.

The thing is, Ned and Catelyn (Ok, maybe not Cat) were main characters. And they died.

In HP Harry, Ron, Hermione, Neville, Luna, and Ginny are all alive, and Dumbledore was perhaps the only main character that died.

Also, we only have 5 books in ASOIAF but we have all 7 books in HP. How many main characters died before THBP and TDH? Just Sirius.

Also, you're forgetting Qhorin Halfhand, Ygritte, Donal Noye, everyone killed in the RW, Benjen, Beric Dondarrion, Syrio Phorel, everyone in Ned's household, Maesters Luwin and Cressen, Will, and a bunch of other characters.

Let's not forget than in HP torture is the Crusiatus Curse, a red streak of light that "inflicts pain". While in ASOIAF has old fashion physical torture.

Even the dragons. In HP a full grown dragon can be subdued by a group people but in ASOIAF a single grown dragon can defeat an entire fortress.

This. Ghost Of High Heart. Tower Of Joy. There's like ZERO reference to blue roses, or jon's heritage. NO ONE WILL KNOW WHO LYANNA EVEN IS when she's revealed. No one even knows what the hell the tower of joy, or even Arthur Dayne, is. I mean are you kidding me?!

Blue roses and Arthur Dayne were mentioned this past season. Are you even paying attention ;)?

The thing is, Ned and Catelyn (Ok, maybe not Cat) were main characters. And they died.

In HP Harry, Ron, Hermione, Neville, Luna, and Ginny are all alive, and Dumbledore was perhaps the only main character that died.

Also, we only have 5 books in ASOIAF but we have all 7 books in HP. How many main characters died before THBP and TDH? Just Sirius.

Also, you're forgetting Qhorin Halfhand, Ygritte, Donal Noye, everyone killed in the RW, Benjen, Beric Dondarrion, Syrio Phorel, everyone in Ned's household, Maesters Luwin and Cressen, Will, and a bunch of other characters.

Dude, come on, Snape, best character in the series, definitely would fit in in ASOIAF as well. Plus Voldemort. With Dumbledore, that's the three most important adult characters in the series, they all die.

The main difference is really the realism of the violence. While the crucio curse is apparantly the worst torture around, we can't relate to a wand curse like someone raping and mutilating.

So, I've gotten a little tired of people talking about Game of Thrones as if it's eternally depressing, the good guys always lose and die, and the baddies always win. Upon a recent Harry Potter reread, I thought I'd set the record straight.

Good Guys dead in Game of Thrones (Important characters):

Eddard Stark

Robb Stark

Lady Catelyn (only half-dead)

Oberyn Martell

Quentyn Martell

Final Tally:4.5

Good Guys dead in Harry Potter (Important characters):

Cedric Diggory

Barty Crouch Sr.

Sirius Black

Albus Dumbledore

Alastor Moody

Remus Lupin

Nymphadora Tonks

Dobby

Hedwig

Fred Weasley

Final Tally: 10

Bad Guys dead in Game of Thrones

Tywin Lannister

Gregor Clegane

Vargo Hoat

Amory Lorch

The Tickler

Polliver

Raff The Sweetling

Astapori Slavers (Generic but important, they collectively count as one)

Freys at White Harbor (same as Astapori Slavers)

Final Tally: 10

Bad Guys dead in Harry Potter:

Bellatrix Lestrange

Lord Voldemort

Final Tally: 2

The evidence is conclusive.

Wow talk about picking and choosing. The characters you listed from Harry Potter are accurate because the field of character is much slimer (not saying it's any worse, just that it doesn't have as many characters). On the other hand you've left out at least twenty names from ASOIAF just off the top of my head.

Archived