Which is really bloodier and more violent- Game of Thrones or Harry Potter?

Pod The Rod

So, I've gotten a little tired of people talking about Game of Thrones as if it's eternally depressing, the good guys always lose and die, and the baddies always win. Upon a recent Harry Potter reread, I thought I'd set the record straight.

Good Guys dead in Game of Thrones (Important characters):

Eddard Stark

Robb Stark

Lady Catelyn (only half-dead)

Oberyn Martell

Quentyn Martell

Final Tally:4.5

Good Guys dead in Harry Potter (Important characters):

Cedric Diggory

Barty Crouch Sr.

Sirius Black

Albus Dumbledore

Alastor Moody

Remus Lupin

Nymphadora Tonks

Dobby

Hedwig

Fred Weasley

Final Tally: 10

Bad Guys dead in Game of Thrones

Tywin Lannister

Gregor Clegane

Vargo Hoat

Amory Lorch

The Tickler

Polliver

Raff The Sweetling

Astapori Slavers (Generic but important, they collectively count as one)

Freys at White Harbor (same as Astapori Slavers)

Final Tally: 10

Bad Guys dead in Harry Potter:

Bellatrix Lestrange

Lord Voldemort

Final Tally: 2

The evidence is conclusive.

Ah, Harry Potter. Its depressing when you realize the same Death Eaters have been cursing and killing since the first Wizarding War while the good guys drop like flies. Not only did Harry lose his real parents, he lost his surrogate ones too.

ASOIAF is more violent and bloody but Harry Potter is bleak in its own way... Once you overthink it, that is :lol:.

When JK Rowling writes a graphic torture scene or anything on par with the Red Wedding, we can talk about this. Until then, no, HP is not even close to being bloody or violent.

considering i never read, never will consider to read, or even acknowledge, harry potter, id say Game Of Thrones is more violent as well ;)

So, I've gotten a little tired of people talking about Game of Thrones as if it's eternally depressing, the good guys always lose and die, and the baddies always win. Upon a recent Harry Potter reread, I thought I'd set the record straight.

[snip]

Interesting topic but I think your list is really subjective because who is an "important character?" You're leaving out quite a few like Bright Blue Eyes pointed out that would count toward "good" guys but are maybe less important.

ETA: also, consider the three main characters of HP : Harry, Ron and Hermione. All are alive, married, and have children by series end. Do we really think "the big three" of ASOIAF are going to end that way (if we assume Jon, Dany and Tyrion are the big 3?) At the very least, they might all be alive but rather depressed and miserable because of their losses.

considering i never read, never will consider to read, or even acknowledge, harry potter, id say Game Of Thrones is more violent as well ;)

I mean no offense here but if you have never read Harry Potter then you are not qualified to give an opinion on it. Apologies if that does causes any offense

As to the original question. ASOIAF is much more violent. It's not even close. HP has violent moments and lots of sad moments but nothing within it compares to the RW and that is just 1 chapter in ASOIAF.

Surely if you count Hedwig as an important character, you should also have Lady and Grey Wind on there? Also, your list includes only good and bad characters. What about characters that some might consider grey? Robert Baratheon, Khal Drogo, Rickard Karstark? Shouldn't these be on the list somewhere?

Interesting topic but I think your list is really subjective because who is an "important character?" You're leaving out quite a few like Bright Blue Eyes pointed out that would count toward "good" guys but are maybe less important.

ETA: also, consider the three main characters of HP : Harry, Ron and Hermione. All are alive, married, and have children by series end. Do we really think "the big three" of ASOIAF are going to end that way (if we assume Jon, Dany and Tyrion are the big 3?) At the very least, they might all be alive but rather depressed and miserable because of their losses.

This.

When JK Rowling writes a graphic torture scene or anything on par with the Red Wedding, we can talk about this. Until then, no, HP is not even close to being bloody or violent.

Considering JKR's target, I'd say there are pretty gruesome scenes. We have LV's resurrection, which involves a man cutting his arm; a werewolf biting half of a man's face; a snake "warging" a dead woman and a woman tortured and then fed to that same snake. In the movies, some scenes are quite graphic as well, specially this one: http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111019232913/harrypotter/images/f/f9/Voldemort%27s_mutilated_soul.jpg

I would give Dolores Umbridge an special mention. Spoilers because Lord Blazfemur hasn't read HP

She's teacher. A witch, yes, but her cruelty has nothing to do with magic, except that bit when she physically tortured students with a magical quill that use the blood of the user as ink while they write

I swear I hate Umbridge more than I hated Voldemort.

I mean no offense here but if you have never read Harry Potter then you are not qualified to give an opinion on it. Apologies if that does causes any offense

As to the original question. ASOIAF is much more violent. It's not even close. HP has violent moments and lots of sad moments but nothing within it compares to the RW and that is just 1 chapter in ASOIAF.

not in the slightest, and in essence, you are correct. whats ironic and hypocritical, is that ive always hated everything that becomes so mainstream and obsessive with mainstream media (harry potter, twilight, hunger games, etc), and yet, Game Of Thrones has actually become one of them. It used to be where only people, like us, would watch/read, and now every dumb ass and their brother thinks they have a say in this series lmao.

my only logical rebuttal, would be HP is in fact "young adult" confirmed, and obviously ASOIAF is adult-oriented. Logically, ASOIAF would in fact be more violent.

Considering JKR's target, I'd say there are pretty gruesome scenes. We have LV's resurrection, which involves a man cutting his arm; a werewolf biting half of a man's face; a snake "warging" a dead woman and a woman tortured and then fed to that same snake. In the movies, some scenes are quite graphic as well, specially this one: http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111019232913/harrypotter/images/f/f9/Voldemort%27s_mutilated_soul.jpg

I would give Dolores Umbridge an special mention. Spoilers because Lord Blazfemur hasn't read HP

She's teacher. A witch, yes, but her cruelty has nothing to do with magic, except that bit when she physically tortured students with a magical quill that use the blood of the user as ink while they write

I swear I hate Umbridge more than I hated Voldemort.

uh, hello?! SPOILERS?! lmao nah jk ill never touch that series.

not in the slightest, and in essence, you are correct. whats ironic and hypocritical, is that ive always hated everything that becomes so mainstream and obsessive with mainstream media (harry potter, twilight, hunger games, etc), and yet, Game Of Thrones has actually become one of them. It used to be where only people, like us, would watch/read, and now every dumb ass and their brother thinks they have a say in this series lmao.

my only logical rebuttal, would be HP is in fact "young adult" confirmed, and obviously ASOIAF is adult-oriented. Logically, ASOIAF would in fact be more violent.

You can't put HP, Twilight or Hunger Games in the same bag, although I kinda blame JKR for their existence, tbh, and the world would be a better place without "Vampires for fangirls" and "Dystopia for fangirls"..

Especially with the last book, the Harry Potter books would be seen as a lot darker if it wasn't for the standard happy ending.

I didn't know ASOIAF had hipsters!

Archived