Which is really bloodier and more violent- Game of Thrones or Harry Potter?

Pod The Rod

No, i've read both series', and asoiaf is much more violent, there is much more blood and gore, a lot more. Graphic description of swords and axes cutting through human flesh, dismemberment, disembowelment, castration (Theon) graphic description of torture (again, Theon) people being birned alive and torture techniques such as flaying. In Harry Potter, pretty much all deaths (excepts Snape's) is pointing a wand and saying Avada Kedavra, not that i'm complaining. Harry Potter's parents die before the series begins, so you don't get a chance to get invested in their characters. In Harry Potter, it's a boy wizard going on new adventures every year and, although sometimes losing people, defeats evil every time, and comes back laughing next year. Game of Thrones just isn't that. You get very emotionally invested in the very few decent people in a world full of genuinely horrible people who do horrible things to people (massacres,torture, rape etc.) and the good, moral people die (Ned, Robb, Pre- red god magic Cat, Oberyn, Maester Luwin, Cressen, Benjen Stark, Qhoring Halfhand, ), Brienne having her face bitten off, the Stark kids pretty much getting screwed over in life, while Walder Frey gets to live to 90 in a big castle with 100 wives.

Arthur Dayne was mentioned by Joffrey, I wouldn't blame anyone who drowns him out when he starts talking :lol:

LOL Jack's Joff is enough to make me cringe, in a good way, I suppose, and not listen to a damn thing he has to say. :lmao:

ETA: Although, I did notice him mentioning Ser Duncan the Tall.

Also another point. The characters in ASOIAF are 90% grey characters meaning they don't fit squarly into the good or bad stereotype. Harry Potter on the other hand has mostly these good or bad indentities. At one point you might think Jaime is an asshole who you hope dies then a book later you are cheering for him the most. Unlike any of the major HP characters whom you believe are good or bad characters from the start and finish the series the same way. The only exceptions I can really see are Snape, Quirrel, Malfoy (kind of), Sirius, Gilderoy Lockhart.

Sorry but ASOIAF is way bloodier and ruthless.

the whitewashing here is astounding.

Why not pose this question to the 163 baby gorillas Harry crucified in Book 5? Or the noble heroes at Azkaban, who were forcefully imprisoned and fed their own body parts piece by piece by Neville Longbottom, sick fuck he is?

Snarky: Well put. The grey characters are what set these two apart mainly. Grey is the best because that makes them less predictable and more human. The PoV aspect is another major difference as well. We're privy to the inner monologue of a good bit of characters. Concerning violence, it's not even close, really. The majority of violence in Harry Potter novels happens in the climax chapters, and at the battle of Hogwarts in DH. There's consistent violence throughout ASoIaF; not just in the last few chapters. You did make another good point about how the violence is inflicted too. In thrones, axe and swords through body part, and in HP, a spell which automatically kills someone without a trace of blood.

JCRB: :cheers:

HP will always have a special place in my heart cuz I was a kid when those books were coming out and the anticipation of their release was unreal, but Ice and Fire is my favorite series due to being able to understand adult content and realistic characters.

ASOIAF by far, and one is generally far more affected by the deaths than in Harry Potter. But, it's not really a fair comparison.

If Martin had written Harry Potter, Hermione would have been revealed towards the end as having worked for Voldemort all along, and would have killed Ron and Ginny Weasley.

ASOIAF by far, and one is generally far more affected by the deaths than in Harry Potter. But, it's not really a fair comparison.

If Martin had written Harry Potter, Hermione would have been revealed towards the end as having worked for Voldemort all along, and would have killed Ron and Ginny Weasley.

Hermione would be the one with responsive nipples.

And I'm still affected by Sirius' death =´(

Ron would have incestuos relationships with Ginny and Woldemort would be secret Potter :D

Damn, need new topic "If GRRM would have written Hary Potter"

Hermione would be the one with responsive nipples.

And I'm still affected by Sirius' death =´(

Hermione would have had slept with Bellatrix, and explored her Azkabani Swamp.

Sirius' death didn't affect me that much. I was more sorry about Snape. The death of Charity Burbidge and Nagini's emergence out of Bathilda's body were both pretty horrifying and well done.

Archived