Football LXXXIV - Expecting League champions vs runners-up match tonight

baxus

I guess the best group Liverpool could hope for would be Benfica, Basel and Ludogorets (though Maribor, APOEL, BATE or Malmö would be ok, I guess).

Or go for the toughest opponents out there - Real/Bayern, Borussia/PSG and Roma.

Either way, fun times ahead!

I got the best of both worlds :)

The Pantheon is in Paris.

There's one in Paris, but THE Pantheon is in Rome.

Got a sneaky feeling that Liverpool's defence will let them down in the Champion's League. Every single time its been tested so far its been found wanting. Don't see why this will be different.

Liverpool's defense is almost completely overhauled and will require time to sync and adapt, that's true.

On the other hand, judging them by conceding 3 goals against the champion of the world's toughest national league is a bit harsh.

Basel and especially Ludogorec are simply not on the same level as Liverpool's Premiership opposition.

As far as Real Madrid is concerned, I'm fairly confident that those won't be blowouts though I must admit that counting on points from those matches would definitely be optimistic.

I'm judging them more on the players they have rather than the game against us. It's a long term trend, not a new discovery, that Liverpool's defence is a significant weakness.

I'm judging them more on the players they have rather than the game against us. It's a long term trend, not a new discovery, that Liverpool's defence is a significant weakness.

I'll agree with you that defense is definitely the weaker part of the team and is not good enough for Liverpool to be major contenders in the Champions League.

Still, since 3/4 defenders that are supposed to be starting games have been signed in the last month, I must say that there is a lot of room for improvement and it's not unimaginable that they will improve over the next few weeks.

Either way, they should be good enough against Basel and Ludogorec. I don't mean to offend or look down on those clubs but either one of them advancing to the knockout stage would be so sensational that match-fixing stories would start popping up.

Bit harsh on Basel, that. They aren't a bad team at all and if Liverpool go into the game with an attitude like that they may well lose. Don't forget that Basel are extremely experienced at this level. Taking them lightly will be something 'Pool will come to regret IMO.

Anyway, nothing on this life would give me more pleasure than Yaya walking out in Moscow in front of those racist dickheads and doing this

So, as my favourite team isn't going to make it to the CL anytime soon, I'm going to root for Paris since I was still kinda born there.

Anyway, not a bad draw for the PSG, even with Barcelona who honestly, is a better draw than Madrid, City or Munich. Amsterdam hasn't been a serious contender for quite a number of years now, and I think points taken against the APOEL wouldn't be too much of a stretch (I'd rather not assume anything, because suprises are a thing in the CL haha).

Hope they'll make it past the quarter-finals this year.

Bit harsh on Basel, that. They aren't a bad team at all and if Liverpool go into the game with an attitude like that they may well lose. Don't forget that Basel are extremely experienced at this level. Taking them lightly will be something 'Pool will come to regret IMO.

I know they have experience, they even knocked United a couple of years ago (I still remember Vidic's leg twisting in a direction human knee is not supposed to bend).

It is very clear that they could pose a problem for Liverpool, but if Liverpool go into those matches 100% focused I'm certain they can get 6 points. I'm not saying Liverpool are guaranteed 6 points but that those 6 points can be won with serious approach and disciplined play.

Ludogorec is a second-tier team at best. They've played against Partizan Belgrade this year and barely made it through on away goals. Any team from the top half of the Championship table would be a tougher opponent. Of course, Liverpool won't have the luxury of dismissing any opponent like that but are way ahead on talent, fitness and tactical ability so anything less than 6 points from those two matches would be a massive disappointment.

EDIT:

Also, I'm a fan not a club official, player or staff member.

I can get all cocky and expect the club to win those 4 matches because I'm not the one who has to work for it ;)

I know they have experience, they even knocked United a couple of years ago (I still remember Vidic's leg twisting in a direction human knee is not supposed to bend).

It is very clear that they could pose a problem for Liverpool, but if Liverpool go into those matches 100% focused I'm certain they can get 6 points. I'm not saying Liverpool are guaranteed 6 points but that those 6 points can be won with serious approach and disciplined play.

Ludogorec is a second-tier team at best. They've played against Partizan Belgrade this year and barely made it through on away goals. Any team from the top half of the Championship table would be a tougher opponent. Of course, Liverpool won't have the luxury of dismissing any opponent like that but are way ahead on talent, fitness and tactical ability so anything less than 6 points from those two matches would be a massive disappointment.

EDIT:

Also, I'm a fan not a club official, player or staff member.

I can get all cocky and expect the club to win those 4 matches because I'm not the one who has to work for it ;)

Oh god I'd forgotten about that. Was truly horrible :(

Really? I agree it is a weakness but you literally just said...

Got a sneaky feeling that Liverpool's defence will let them down in the Champion's League. Every single time its been tested so far its been found wanting. Don't see why this will be different.

So that means one of three things. You are judging them off of one game against City. You are judging them off last season, which means you didn't pay attention at all (I know this is not the case). OR you are over exaggerating to prove your point and go on a little wind up like you are want to do sometimes ;-)...

I'm not falling for it Alex!!!

I am judging them off last season... There's a strong argument that Liverpool only lost the title because the defence was composed mainly of frauds. I don't really see your argument here...? It was a slight over exaggeration on my part, but the overall point stands - Liverpool won't be able to just outscore everyone in the Champion's League. Good luck to them, but I can't see it happening

As to the going on a wind up art - how dare you! I am always 100% serious on here! (Kind of)

On a different note, the most obvious disaster to come out of the European draws so far (and no, I'm not referring to Liverpool being a part of it), is the following:

Arsenal and Spurs fans are both in Istanbul at the same time (The games are on the 1st and 2nd October respectively).

Besiktas and Glatasary fans will be in London at the same time (9th and 11th December respectively).

This should end well. Can't see any potential problems here.

Arsenal twitter is going to mental because a tweet about Falcao from a fake Ornstein account ended up on the BBC website. It's pretty hilarious. I wish we could have skipped the last month of the transfer window and just get to these few days. This is cracking me up.

I am judging them off last season... There's a strong argument that Liverpool only lost the title because the defence was composed mainly of frauds. I don't really see your argument here...? It was a slight over exaggeration on my part, but the overall point stands - Liverpool won't be able to just outscore everyone in the Champion's League. Good luck to them, but I can't see it happening

As to the going on a wind up art - how dare you! I am always 100% serious on here! (Kind of)

Ha I don't want to flood the board with images but I'm inclined to put up a link to the jokers why so serious? picture. Well like I said the defense was obviously shaky at best but I can rattle off a number of strong performances from last year if you like (4-0 Man U, 9-0 Tottenham agg. as well as Arse and Everton games come to mind) to show that they could get up to it last year if needed.

That being said as Baxus has stated before our backline is greatly changed this year. In fact if you include Sakho seeing as how his injury prevented him from getting too many minutes, I have a very good feeling you will see 4 players line up in the back that have not been mainstays in Liverpool's defense of late lining up on Sunday. Manquillo for the useless Johnson, and Sakho in for an injured Skrtel.

So my point was that while you have a decent basis to your argument of pools defense not being up to snuff, my argument is just as valid. While our defense is not our strong point, there will be any "sneaky" let downs. If there is a let down it will be expected as obviously the back four have been in need (and have gotten this summer) of a tuning up and going against the likes of RM is no easy task.

In other news, I watched the Arsenal v Besiktas match last night and have to say, I was proud of the way Arsenal played. I thought they had a lot of opportunities to score and didn't really face that much danger (Szczesny didn't really have to make a save) even though Besiktas had some possession. I'm impressed with the defense (especially Debuchy and Monreal) and really liked what I saw out of Wilshere even though he still gives the ball away too much. Once Arsenal starts adapting to Sanchez, they should be pretty dangerous (players holding the ball too long instead of playing it through to Sanchez). We still need that DM but if we start playing counter attacking football with Sanchez, Ox, Campbell, Podolski and Walcott, we can be really dangerous.

Realistically, Liverpool's defense will continue to be weak so long as we use a deep play-maker rather than a true DM. There are trade-offs and pros and cons but our midfield provides too little shielding.

Ah I almost wanted to touch on this, but I couldn't agree more. I am beginning to fear even more as now we have true attacking fullbacks. It was no surprise that a lot of our better defensive showings came with flannagan at the back. Can't wait until he is back.

Ha I don't want to flood the board with images but I'm inclined to put up a link to the jokers why so serious? picture.

Honestly man, I'm rarely that serious on here, especially when talking about Liverpool

Archived