If you were the sellsword in Varys' riddle whom would you obey?

Faydra

I put one of my knives in the ground, tell the three that if they want each other dead they're gonna have to do it themselves, and leave.

Also, the point of the riddle is that it's a trick question. Doesn't matter who the sellsword sides with. Varys just uses however you answer to segue into an explanation of the nature of power.

I guess I would kill them all and take the gold.

If I had to take a side I would go with the priest. A hero exalted by the faith is quickly turned into a semi-god protected by the zealots of the faith and the fanaticism of everyone. The allies of the king and the catspaws of the rich man will surely think it twice to touch me. Also I could live from the people, always willing to help someone who's a harbinger of the gods.

I would kill all if I could get away from the room and escape fast, with the gold. All I think is:

Its pretty obvious that whoever you kill for, once you kill for them they will have you killed and blame you entirely for the two deaths. So you can't rely on allying yourself with any of them.

And, IMO, there is no correct answer, the answer simply shows who you are as a person.

Of course. The solution is that the sellsword is who matters. Nobody else.

These responses are quite common. And they are quite wrong.

There is a correct answer to the problem. And it is: The Rich Man.

Simply because: The man is stated to be a SELLsword. This means he values wealth over feudal loyalty or religious fervor.

If the riddle had been stated as 'A religious fanatic' instead of 'a sellsword', would not the answer be obvious?

These responses are quite common. And they are quite wrong.

There is a correct answer to the problem. And it is: The Rich Man.

Simply because: The man is stated to be a SELLsword. This means he values wealth over feudal loyalty or religious fervor.

If the riddle had been stated as 'A religious fanatic' instead of 'a sellsword', would not the answer be obvious?

Nope. That is just his profession.

I say King.

The King exercises hard power while the other to only have soft power. Soft power can be a mighty force, but not in this context. Neither a merchant nor a septon would dare kill a king because his heir would be bound by honor to avenge the old king. Soft power would bribe or manipulate the king, maybe kill him covertly, not assassinate him in broad daylight with your fingerprints all over it.

Only the king can protect you from the wrath of the other 2.

p.s. it's disappointing how GRRM assigned the issuance of such an un-profound riddle to someone who is supposed to be a master schemer, and the (unreasonably slow) answering of it to Tyrion, who should be at least as clever as Varys.

The riddle was not intended to be answered in terms of the presented possibilities.

The riddle is really a rhetorical question dressed up as a story. Varys was making a point, specifically that power lies where people think it lies. Power is tied to belief, and the various reasons given (loyalty to King, Gods, or wealth) are merely attempts to create belief.

The King.

If your true 'ruler' gives you a command, you could not be persecuted for that action, even if it is the killing of a holy man.

In the other 2 scenarios, you're effectively committing murder.

You mean unless the holy man raises the masses in rebellion, and declares all those who stand by the king godless criminals.

Or unless the rich man hires an army and otherthrows the king and then all those who followed his commands are traitors

The King.

If your true 'ruler' gives you a command, you could not be persecuted for that action, even if it is the killing of a holy man.

In the other 2 scenarios, you're effectively committing murder.

There are more than three scenarios:

1. Obey the King.

2. Obey the Priest.

3. Obey the Rich Man.

4. Kill all three.

5. Kill only the King.

6. Kill only the Priest.

7. Kill only the Rich Man.

8. Do nothing (includes Sellsword killing himself).

It would depend who they were. If the king was Mad Aerys and the rich man Tywin Lannister then I would listen to the rich man.

But in general I would obey the king. The priest offers me nothing, the rich man offers me more money then I've ever had on my life but then I could just blow it all on a gold cyvasse set, which then gets stolen from me and I'm no better off then I am before. But if I get in with a king, he could give me land and titles, or cut off my fingers and make me his Hand.

Context and who the man is matters but all being equal. The king has the lawful, legitimate authority, kingslaying is a more notorious crime and I am reminded of Roman emperors who benefited from assassinations of the previous Roman Emperors and where glad it happened yet they hunted down the assassins nevertheless. They did use their own killers to kill their enemies but assassinating an emperor was taboo. While eliminating random rich men (or nobles) probably is likelier for me to get away with it. Killing the priest might suck though but the king as the ultimate strongman might appoint another priest who shuts up about it. Or no And I might get a reward for my services as kings do need people who do dirty work. Or I am betrayed. Or he is a weak king.

Anyway while it can also go wrong, I would obey the king.

Archived