What do you call the world of A Song of Ice and Fire?

Archmaester Drew

GRRth took me a while...At first sight seems the n-th novel of this genre GRRM wrote..

Once I got it I must admit that is nice though

I saw always referred as Planetos on this forum, but o course I am just an inexperienced child with no knowing of the good old times here :)

I hadn't heard Earthos before this thread, I don't think. Not really a fan. GRRTH is so infinitely superior that any vowel would only slow it down. Anyway, the movement of the tongue between G and R simulates the vowel ''E'' anyway, so you're all good. Well, it's a schwa.

That's why I didn't get at first sight!

Please write it with the schwa qametz eyc

Earth. We've seen the characters refer to it as 'earth' too many times.

Examples:

Men were not meant to leave the earth. Spend too much time in the clouds and you never want to come back down again. I know skinchangers who’ve tried hawks, owls, ravens. Even in their own skins, they sit moony, staring up at the bloody blue.”

“That, and windy. You learn to walk well away from the edge. Men have been blown off. Still. The Wall is like nothing else on earth. You may never have another chance to see it.”

It just seems like 'earth' is simplest. If they call it by another name at some point, I will change my opinion, but I see no reason to make up a name and attach it to a made-up planet simply because we don't have a name for it.

• 5 months later...

^ Too many examples but I'll name a few

"no creature on earth as terrifying as a truly just man." Varys

"we call ourselves those who sing the song of the earth." Leaf

something about looking down at the earth - Bran's sickbed dream.

If you have a kindle/ebook and a search function, type in earth. be warned though. search functions lead to tinfoil theories. ;)

"Still. The Wall is like nothing else on earth." - Jon to Tycho Nestoris

Planetos. GRRTH is silly, Earth is totally what the people of Westeros calls it but needs to be distinguished from the Earth of the real world, and Earthos is okay but it makes me want to pronounce it as "EAR-those" and that's just wrong. Planetos 1) is distinct from our real planet, 2) is easy to pronounce and in keeping with GRRMstyle (Westeros, Essos, Ulthos, etc), and last but certainly not least, 3) PLANET-Os, THE CEREAL WHERE YOU EITHER EAT, OR YOU DIE. Secret Targaryen hidden in every box~!

Archived