The Hound vs. The Mountain?

Septa Mordane

I like this. I like to think that Sandor has finally found peace, so I don't like the notion of him coming forth to just kill his undead brother....but tying it to the vision Bran had to protect/rescue Sansa...I like it A LOT....it makes sense. We have seen other characters that are of dubious honor in the beginning of the series step up and gain/re-gain their honor.....Sandor would fit perfect IMHO.

The only thing that kinda underminds that theory is that Sandor's shadow had the terrible face of a hound... And the Hound is supposed to be dead.

Crazy thought here; could the golden shadow possibly be Brienne?

ive thought that before. if you read between the lines of maggys prophecy it doesnt actually say that a younger, more beautiful queen will take everything she holds dear. it just says someone whos younger and more beautiful. brienne was hideous before she got half her face bitten off but is seen as a beautiful person, just not physically. its not ridiculous to think that brienne and the hound are the two people from maggys prophecy and brans dream.

Most people assume it's another queen or future queen since that person will take Cersei's crown (I think it's safe to say that the iron throne is part of stuff that Cersei holds dear), granted that that person could take the crown only to bestow it on someone else, in which case it won't have to be another queen.

The problem with Brienne being that another is that she had absolutely nothing to do with Joffrey's murder, and Joff was definitely part of "everything you hold dear." So really our Another is a person that had something to do with Joff's murder and is younger than Cersei so that pretty much leaves Sansa and Margaery since Olenna, Dontos and LF are older, dead, and definitely not "more beautiful" in any way shape or form than Cersei.... unless what we got ourselves here is An-Other that would reanimate Joff :P .

Anyways we are getting a bit off topic here; back to Cleganebowl! :D

If Cleganebowl does happen, and if the theory that Sandor is the brother that was promised (the valonquar) then Sandor shall be victorious. Dunno how that will happen... maybe we'll get a trial by Seven, then Sandor could get some help so the lame leg wouldn't be an automatic death sentence here.

Bran's detailed vision seems to hint that Sandor will team up with the Golden Armored one to fight Gregorstein. My vote is Jaime. Two gimps, one Simp.

Not 2 on 1, 7 on 7, and Jaime takes down 5.

Beneath the patter of the rain and Dog's barking, she could hear the faint clink of swords and mail from beneath their cloaks. She counted them as they came. Two, four, six, seven. Some of them were wounded, judging from the way they rode. The last man was massive and hulking, as big as two of the others. His horse was blown and bloody, staggering beneath his weight, All the riders had their hoods up against the lashing rain, save him alone. His face was broad and hairless, maggot white, his round cheeks covered with weeping sores.

Brienne sucked in her breath and drew Oathkeeper.

Seven, Brienne thought again, despairing.

She could not fight seven, not alone, even if one or two were wounded.

"I learned from Ser Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning, who could have slain all five of you with his left hand while he was taking a piss with the right."

The Knight of Flowers had been so mad with grief for Renly that he had cut down two of his own Sworn Brothers, but it had never occurred to Jaime to do the same with the five who had failed Joffrey. He was my son, my secret son ... What am I, if I do not lift the hand I have left to avenge mine own blood and seed? He ought to kill Ser Boros at least, just to be rid of him.

Most people assume it's another queen or future queen since that person will take Cersei's crown (I think it's safe to say that the iron throne is part of stuff that Cersei holds dear), granted that that person could take the crown only to bestow it on someone else, in which case it won't have to be another queen.

The problem with Brienne being that another is that she had absolutely nothing to do with Joffrey's murder, and Joff was definitely part of "everything you hold dear." So really our Another is a person that had something to do with Joff's murder and is younger than Cersei so that pretty much leaves Sansa and Margaery since Olenna, Dontos and LF are older, dead, and definitely not "more beautiful" in any way shape or form than Cersei.... unless what we got ourselves here is An-Other that would reanimate Joff :P .

Anyways we are getting a bit off topic here; back to Cleganebowl! :D

If Cleganebowl does happen, and if the theory that Sandor is the brother that was promised (the valonquar) then Sandor shall be victorious. Dunno how that will happen... maybe we'll get a trial by Seven, then Sandor could get some help so the lame leg wouldn't be an automatic death sentence here.

Could be that they fight on horse back, either in a trial by seven or one on one.

In the Hedge Knight Ser Humfrey Hardyng fights with a broken leg in the trial by seven and in the Mystery Knight fireballs bastard rides a tilt against the Fiddler despite having been badly tortured first.

Near the kennels a group of men-at-arms were fighting a pair of dogs. Tyrion stopped long enough to see the smaller dog tear half the face off the larger one, and earned a few coarse laughs by observing that the loser now resembled Sandor Clegane.

Tyrion II, Storm

I suppose this foreshadows the eventual showdown between the brothers Clegane. It looks like Sandor will lose, but perhaps expose Gregor for the undead monster that he has become.

And there is this where Sandor tells us about his intention to kill Gregor...

"Gregor never knew what he had, did he? He couldn't have, or he would have dragged you back kicking and screaming to King's Landing and dumped you in Cersei's lap. Oh, that's bloody sweet. I'll be sure and tell him that, before I cut his heart out."

Arya IX, Storm

UnGregor will slay Sandor because Sandor has no intention of killing his brother and thus he will lose the eventual showdown...

It all happened so fast. The Knight of Flowers was shouting for his own sword as Ser Gregor knocked his squire aside and made a grab for the reins of his horse. The mare scented blood and reared. Loras Tyrell kept his seat, but barely. Ser Gregor swung his sword, a savage two-handed blow that took the boy in the chest and knocked him from the saddle. The courser dashed away in panic as Ser Loras lay stunned in the dirt. But as Gregor lifted his sword for the killing blow, a rasping voice warned, "Leave him be," and a steel-clad hand wrenched him away from the boy.

The Mountain pivoted in wordless fury, swinging his longsword in a killing arc with all his massive strength behind it, but the Hound caught the blow and turned it, and for what seemed an eternity the two brothers stood hammering at each other as a dazed Loras Tyrell was helped to safety. Thrice Ned saw Ser Gregor aim savage blows at the hound's-head helmet, yet not once did Sandor send a cut at his brother's unprotected face.

It was the king's voice that put an end to it . . . the king's voice and twenty swords. Jon Arryn had told them that a commander needs a good battlefield voice, and Robert had proved the truth of that on the Trident. He used that voice now. "STOP THIS MADNESS," he boomed, "IN THE NAME OF YOUR KING!"

The Hound went to one knee. Ser Gregor's blow cut air, and at last he came to his senses. He dropped his sword and glared at Robert, surrounded by his Kingsguard and a dozen other knights and guardsmen. Wordlessly, he turned and strode off, shoving past Barristan Selmy. "Let him go," Robert said, and as quickly as that, it was over.

Eddard VII, Game

Sandor actively avoided trying to kill his brother at his own peril in Eddard VII, Game. He expressed an intention to kill his brother in Arya IX, Storm. But nothing changed in their relation in the interim. Sandor had no more reason to kill Gregor than when he actively avoided trying to kill his brother.

My secret fantasy: the gravedigger aka Hound faces his bother. Qyburn claims that no man can withstand Ser Robert but this is a reanimated man we are talking about here. Some would call him a wight. The Hound faces him with a flaming sword, much like he himself faced Lord Beric who wielded a flaming sword. The beauty of it: The Hound defeats the Mountain with fire. The irony of it. I'd like that to happen :cool4:

Well why not? The show kinda veered off the book course last season so anything goes now.

Too far off track. I understand we're bot gonna get Arianne seducing Arys, and we're not getting the Myrish Swamp either, are we? God damnit but we better get the Royal Teats!

Too far off track. I understand we're bot gonna get Arianne seducing Arys, and we're not getting the Myrish Swamp either, are we? God damnit but we better get the Royal Teats!

I don't even think we're getting the Frey Pies. :crying:

Sorry to get off topic, but I think the TV show might have Brienne defeat the Mountain (robert Strong)

I think that setting up the Hound-Brienne fight on the show was needed because they cut out the LS leading the BwB angle. In the book Brienne is looking for Sansa which brings her to the BwB after she defeats the fake Hound. My suspicion is that Sandor leaves the QI to kill "the Hound" (not knowing that he is already dead) which brings him to the BwB and there meets Brienne with the information that Arya is alive. So the fight on the show was just a vehicle to get that information to Brienne without burning up precious screen time and needing to hire yet more actors. We'll actually know for sure if the Hound returns this year as the show will have to cast the actor in S6 before the book comes out. I would wage money with good odds that Sandor comes back for both the book and the show.

brings him to the BwB and there meets Brienne with the information that Arya is alive. So the fight on the show was just a vehicle to get that information to Brienne without burning up precious screen time and needing to hire yet more actors. We'll actually know for sure if the Hound returns this year as the show will have to cast the actor in S6 before the book comes out. I would wage money with good odds that Sandor comes back for both the book and the show.

I'm a bit confused here, doesn't Brienne know that Arya's alive; she fought the Hound to get her. That being said, the season 5 trailer seems to hint that Brienne is heading towards the Vale with Pod.

I'm a bit confused here, doesn't Brienne know that Arya's alive; she fought the Hound to get her. That being said, the season 5 trailer seems to hint that Brienne is heading towards the Vale with Pod.

Well Brienne never fought The Hound in the books. To my knowledge, Brienne hasn't really concerned herself at all with Arya, only with finding Sansa.

Well Brienne never fought The Hound in the books. To my knowledge, Brienne hasn't really concerned herself at all with Arya, only with finding Sansa.

Yes I know that. But Minuteman has suggested a reason for creating that scene in the show which I don't quite get.

Yes, in the show but not in the book. The show needs to wrap up the rest of aDwD in 10 episodes. They still have Stannis/Jon/the Boltons in the North, Arya in Braavos, a little bit of Dany in Mereen, KL with Cersei as ruler, and the entire Dornish plot which I now understand will have Jaime in lieu of Arys Oakhart. Based on the story arc in the show and how it diverges from the book I surmise that it becomes important for Brienne to learn that Arya is still alive and Sandor and Brienne to have knowledge of each other. One way to do that without introducing LS/BwB (just not enough time for this) would be to have the two fight over Arya as they have done and a wounded Sandor to head for the QI for some R&R. GRRM has actually tipped some of the future (book) story by how the show is developing - minor points but we can presume that LS isn't important to how the Sansa/Arya search shakes out so she will be short lived once Brienne takes Jaime to see her. Also, in the show Sansa reveals herself to the Lords of the Vale which she has not done in the book. So here we can presume that come WoW that Sansa being incognito isn't important. In the show Brienne may head for the Vale or for Dorne (my guess is the Vale) and show up in Dorne to bring Jaime into the Stark girls search at the end of the season. Perhaps the Lords of the Vale will declare for the Starks (by aiding Stannis) only if they first have a Lannister hostage (in the show - the book will probably be a LF manipulation to get the Vale into the GoT).

Actually, let me amend how Brienne may end the season. Presuming she goes to the Vale she will find Sansa there. Sansa will presumably inherit Brienne's loyalty that was first granted to Catelyn. Sansa could order Brienne to find Arya which would lead her to learn that Sandor didn't die in the Vale where she left him. So Brienne could end up on the QI at the end of the season staring at the gravedigger quizzically after EB informs her that "the Hound" is dead which puts her near where she was at the end of aDwD (absent the BwB which, again, I think they simply don't have sufficient screen time to cover). Regardless, I think that it is important to how the story (book and show) progresses that Brienne learn of Arya being alive and meeting Sandor. In the book this will happen through the BwB. In the show it has already happened.

Archived