Honest opinions on these names - updated

Lady Winter Rose

Is Lachlan an uncommon first name in America? It's very common in Australia. Dustin, on the other hand, seems like a quintessentially American name, I've never heard of it from any other country.

http://www.ssa.gov/cgi-bin/babyname.cgi

Very uncommon. It only just (2013) broke into the top 1000 names for babies.

If neither Maximilian nor Maximus nor Maxwell cuts the mustard, and you're desperate for a 'Max', you could try Maxentius. Or Maximian. Or Maximinus. (Thank you, fourth century Rome). Here's what Eusebius says about Maximinus:

And he went to such an excess of folly and drunkenness that his mind was deranged and crazed in his carousals; and he gave commands when intoxicated of which he repented afterward when sober. He suffered no one to surpass him in debauchery and profligacy, but made himself an instructor in wickedness to those about him, both rulers and subjects.<...>Why need we relate the licentious, shameless deeds of the man, or enumerate the multitude with whom he committed adultery? For he could not pass through a city without continually corrupting women and ravishing virgins.

Incidentally, I've noticed that 33.3% of all UK German shepherds are called Max. The others are called Sam or Rocky.

Just going off the first thing that pops into my mind:

Wesley Crusher

Rufus the Red

Breccan

Lachlan

Don't know these two names

Calvin and Hobbs

Dustin--this one is ok

Hugo-not a fan, sounds more like a pet

Casper the friendly ghost

Cormac--also ok

Maxwell House--good to the last drop

Morcar--the dark lord

Maximus--too much

Is Lachlan an uncommon first name in America? It's very common in Australia. Dustin, on the other hand, seems like a quintessentially American name, I've never heard of it from any other country.

Yes, Lachlan is very uncommon in the United States. 2013 was the very first time it even made the top 1000 names for newborn boys in the USA, and its rank then was #991. I expect it will take some Australian celebrity with the name becoming famous in the USA before it really takes off here.

Incidentally, I've noticed that 33.3% of all UK German shepherds are called Max. The others are called Sam or Rocky.

I used to work in an animal shelter. There was one particular day when a lady came in and said we'd called her because we had her lost yellow Labrador Max, and I had to tell her that we currently had two yellow Labs and a yellow Lab X waiting to be picked up by their owners and they were all called Max.

I used to work in an animal shelter. There was one particular day when a lady came in and said we'd called her because we had her lost yellow Labrador Max, and I had to tell her that we currently had two yellow Labs and a yellow Lab X waiting to be picked up by their owners and they were all called Max.

Did she manage to get her lab back or did she just accept one of your Maxes as a kind of consolation prize?

Well it was like a lucky dip, she closed her eyes and we spun her around twice and then told her to grab a leash...

Or, y'know, we took her back into the kennels and showed her the Maxes so she could tell us which one was hers.

Oh, but that's no fun!

Anyway, if the name Max is good enough for x million dogs, it should be good enough for one baby. Go with Maximilian, OP!

It depends also on the surname I think. The pair should be harmonious.

For instance, Maximilian is nice and long, in this case the surname shouldn't be very long, nor alliterating.

Oh I dunno... Maximilian Von Hoffenbasch would be an amazing baby name

Because in that case both name and surname carry a "noble" connotation.

Maximilian Strumpfelpeter is less amazing I guess...

It is not only the length of alliteration or rhyme..it's a quest in of harmony I guess.

Jeanne is a lovely name, provided that the surname is not Darc for instance..

Strumpfelpeter is an amazing name

LOL!!!!;

I just invented it because I couldn't think of a long ridiculous name in English, whereas I know many sad name combinations in my language...

Maybe in English is more difficult to have a bad name- surname combination.

Thank you anyway, you really made me laugh with the last post.

Archived