Honest opinions on these names - updated

Lady Winter Rose

I think it depends on the country of origin. Calvin and Dustin are the only ones that I've really run into in the U.S. Maybe one of the 'Max' variants, though those I knew always went by the nickname. I know some people hate their "typical" name, but given that name discrimination is a thing, it may have helped them in ways they never knew.

Maxwell

yes it is I have a friend named Mawell whose grandfather has the same name.

Of these name I like most of them my favorites would be Hugo and Cormac awesome names.

Wesley and Rufus, meh I really don;t like these at all.

I think it depends on the country of origin. Calvin and Dustin are the only ones that I've really run into in the U.S. Maybe one of the 'Max' variants, though those I knew always went by the nickname. I know some people hate their "typical" name, but given that name discrimination is a thing, it may have helped them in ways they never knew.

If you must call someone Max, and the short form is out-of-the-question, at least go with Maximiliam.

I like Breccan. Its different. Though you might want to consider alternate modern spellings of the name. http://www.onceuponatimebabynames.com/2012/02/breccan.html

And no, we can never have enough of these threads. Each new life is a new opportunity and deserves its own thread :)

I just love Cormac. Especially because the nickname "Mac" is ver cool and different. I like the Max names too but Mac just gives the nickname a little bit of a unique punch where Max is more common. I might actually still Cormac for my next doggy. LOL :)

Keep in mind, I'm American, so these are what I think from an American POV

Wesley - easy to spell, not too common but not unheard of
Rufus - dog's name
Breccan - would never be spelled right or pronounced correctly where I'm from, but I guess it depends on the country you are in
Lachlan - very scottish, I guess? But sounds like a last name more than a first
Calvin - okay-ish- inoffensive, but a bit bland
Dustin - I knew a Dustin once. Not a bad name
Hugo - sounds like a last name to me...reminds me of the author
Casper - ...the friendly ghost
Cormac - sounds like a seasoning
Maxwell - sounds rich, snobby
Morcar - no clue, never heard of this one
Maximus - actually thought about this as a middle name for my son for a while; didn't go with it, but liked it

For human man.

Just for reference, I went with "Jonathan" for my son's name, and we call him Jack.

One of those is my middle name, and I'm a fan of it. I'm not telling which one though, I don't want to taint the criticism.

I will say, its not Calvin, but I like that name a lot; probably mostly due to fond memories of reading Calvin & Hobbes though.

Our son is Maximus, so that rocks. We just call him Max. My wife really wanted Max after her grandfather who was Max. His full name was Maximillian, which he hated and never wanted anyone to have his full name. Despite Galactus displeasure from Maximus, we both really like it.

I like Lachlan as well (don't know that I have heard that before), some others are o.k. I think those are the only two we would even consider on your list.

IMO your worst two are Rufus and Wesley (no offense anyone named Rufus or Wesley). Might be an american thing, but Wesley is a total skinny nerd who could not stop his little sister from giving him a wedgie. My brother is named Dustin. I can't stand when people call him Dusty.

Archived