NFL Regular Season- Where Preseason hopes go to die...

Trebla

If i want to watch decent human beings paid for being decent human beings.... I can watch cops or soldiers--notably not only I don't want to watch them nobody else does either... not many endorsement deals for decent human beings... i am pretty sure the peace corps is unpaid.

You weren't watching the Ferguson riots?

They are paid because they make the owners and the league more money than they are paid. Once that stops the pay stops.

If i want to watch decent human beings paid for being decent human beings.... I can watch cops or soldiers--notably not only I don't want to watch them nobody else does either... not many endorsement deals for decent human beings... i am pretty sure the peace corps is unpaid.

Society clearly does not reward good conduct... to allow it to claim that it makes any attempt to do so is to endorse its hypocrisy. So long as a man wearing a helmet defending a football makes more money than a man wearing a helmet defending his country.... society has no place to talk about minimum standards of conduct.

Society has laws for minimal standards of conduct. If one does not meet them, he or she is put in jail. If a society's laws allow for the person to remain free it is asinine to restrict that person's employment.

Anyhow, RR was not that good number 30 in rushing yards last year with 4 touchdowns... Losing him was not exactly the end of the world for the Ravens. Great Job at taking a stand against a player that really was not worth standing for.

Come to think of it... drafting him was not such a good idea after all..darned silly player rankings...

Get a real job. Then go knock a woman out. See how long it takes you to get fired. (Hint: it will be about 5 minutes after your employer finds out.)

They are paid because they make the owners and the league more money than they are paid. Once that stops the pay stops.

This is a ridiculous oversimplification. The NFL is entertainment, it is a product. The NFL has player standards beyond merely what is illegal because when people think of "their team", nobody wants to associate that with a bunch of criminals. Hence a player conduct policy. This is actually really similar to virtually any other occupation. Even if you are the best electrician or garbage man or secretary in your state, if you get in trouble with the law and it makes your company look bad, you will be fired. Immediately.

Oh, the 'should athletes be role models?' debate. This is always a worthwhile discussion which frequently sees people changing their opinions on the subject when someone on the other side presents new information.

I don't think that's the argument. More like is there a basic level of human decency that you should have to achieve to be allowed to play in the NFL.

This is a ridiculous oversimplification. The NFL is entertainment, it is a product. The NFL has player standards beyond merely what is illegal because when people think of "their team", nobody wants to associate that with a bunch of criminals. Hence a player conduct policy. This is actually really similar to virtually any other occupation. Even if you are the best electrician or garbage man or secretary in your state, if you get in trouble with the law and it makes your company look bad, you will be fired. Immediately.

If they cease being profitable... they cease being paid...

You were kind enough to point out how one goes about becoming unprofitable.

If the NFL could make more money with RR on the field... they would. It's business. not civics or charity. The NFL is smart enough to see making a dime sometimes is losing a dollar.

If the NFL could make more money with RR on the field... they would. It's business. not civics or charity. The NFL is smart enough to see making a dime sometimes is losing a dollar.

Well yeah. We don't have to go to some crazy hypothetical "would the NFL let Ray Rice play if not for the PR hit?" We already saw what the NFL would do without public pressure. They gave Rice a little slap on the wrist and said "see you in week 3". Then when the second video came out the NFL acts like OMG we had no idea that Ray Rice PUNCHED his fiancee in the elevator and THAT'S why he was seen dragging her unconscious body on video moments later!

Of course the NFL is a lying, soulless, money-grubbing corporation. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just being hopelessly naive.

You're describing a societal minimal conduct standard here.

You're describing a societal minimal conduct standard here.

I am describing the hypocrisy of the NFL citing standards of conduct...

Hypocrite--a person who claims or pretends to have certain beliefs about what is right but who behaves in a way that disagrees with those beliefs

The NFL suspended RR because it was profitable (or avoided loss) not because of their professed concern over player conduct or outrage at the video evidence.

Well yeah. We don't have to go to some crazy hypothetical "would the NFL let Ray Rice play if not for the PR hit?" We already saw what the NFL would do without public pressure. They gave Rice a little slap on the wrist and said "see you in week 3". Then when the second video came out the NFL acts like OMG we had no idea that Ray Rice PUNCHED his fiancee in the elevator and THAT'S why he was seen dragging her unconscious body on video moments later!

Of course the NFL is a lying, soulless, money-grubbing corporation. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just being hopelessly naive.

I actually respect the soulless money-grubbing part... the lies on the other hand. I cannot.

I'm not sure what you're arguing. I thought you were arguing against the significance of an athlete's conduct on public opinion or public opinion on NFl action, but you seem to stipulate both points. So what are you arguing?

I'm not sure what you're arguing. I thought you were arguing against the significance of an athlete's conduct on public opinion or public opinion on NFl action, but you seem to stipulate both points. So what are you arguing?

Same argument slightly different angle...

Not only do I not care about player conduct... The NFL does not either...

I also argued that the public opinion on player conduct is not valid. The story came in to being because RR played football, RR no longer is playing football, it is no longer a story.

That was more of a hope we could drop the issue than an argument against the significance an athlete's conduct should have on public opinion.

The argument that we watch football because the players are good on the field was.... would you watch a game between the humanitarians and the Jets?

The humanitarians are a team i just invented... they never get in trouble, help old ladies across the street. and are the most marvelous people you will ever meet. Making the roster is not based on skill or talent. it is based on character alone. All player salaries for the humanitarians are donated to charity, and the team picks up the litter in the parking lot at the end of the game and adopts a puppy from the shelter....No they have never and will never win a game...

The ratings of the games would be awful... even if you chose to watch.

We watch football... put the best players on the field.. if you want to watch morality, spend your Sunday at church or a homeless shelter.

---on a side note, if there are not any "bad guys" in football... there can't be any "good guys" either.

Jesus Christ, Mexal! You're never going to give up the moral high ground on this one :P

But for serious, you've mentioned that a few times and it gets me right in the heart bone every time. :bawl: Absolutely classy. Where can I find this guy's jersey?

Jesus Christ, Mexal! You're never going to give up the moral high ground on this one :P

But for serious, you've mentioned that a few times and it gets me right in the heart bone every time. :bawl: Absolutely classy. Where can I find this guy's jersey?

This is just the next step and the response has been incredible. So proud of the organization and Devon Still. Looks like it's only being sold through the Bengals store so go to Bengals.com and I reckon you can find out where.

Archived