Lawnmower Beer

Eddiey

I thought I'd dedicate a thread to appreciate the cheap lawnmower beers that get us through lazy afternoons where we have nothing to do but aren't happy to do nothing, at least not without a little lubrication. An hour ago I headed over to the local supermarket and dropped 12$ that guaranteed I'd be entertained for the rest of the day doing as little as possible. If I were a beer snob I'd snub something as pedestrian as Budweiser but luckily I'm more democratic in my tastes and feel that if it wasn't for weak, tasteless beers then the those with a pedigree wouldn't have anything to look down on. So I'd like to hear your thoughts and opinions on the cheap, always available, omnipresent beers that get us through the weekend. For the record I like them.

I was hoping this was going to be about drinking while being on a rider lawnmower and whether that was illegal provided one did it on their own lawn.

:lol:

Yeah, I thought the same thing, even though I'm quite familiar with the phrase "lawnmower beer" as a handle for cheap, easy-drinking fizzy yellow beers.

My favorite of those is Genesee Cream Ale. It's the first beer I ever tasted (back in 5th or 6th grade, when my parents let me have a sip), it was the beer I snuck out of the refrigerator on occasion in high school, and I still think it's a good no-frills beer.

Xray and I found it on tap at a local bar (which is pretty unusual -- it's very easy to find, but is offered almost exclusively in cans) a couple years ago. We ordered a pint of that and a pint of Founder's Breakfast Stout. Our bartender was amused.

I occasionally purchase Coors Light, Budweiser, Lone Star, Modelo, or Tecate.

I like the premium stuff as much as the next guy but I've always got room for lawnmower beers in my life. If it is a tailgate, backyard BBQ, or just a scorching hot day, you need a healthy stock of these types of beers. I have been known to day drink or pool drink on the occasional weekend and you definitely want something where you can buy a whole bunch of them for under $20 and then really get in there put a major dent into the case. You want them cold and often and you want to have enough that you can give a lot of them away.

Now, when it comes to particular brands of lawnmower beers I personally don't like Miller beers or Yeungling. But if either are offered for free and are cold, I will accept and consume with gratitude.

I occasionally purchase Coors Light, Budweiser, Lone Star, Modelo, or Tecate.

I like the premium stuff as much as the next guy but I've always got room for lawnmower beers in my life. If it is a tailgate, backyard BBQ, or just a scorching hot day, you need a healthy stock of these types of beers. I have been known to day drink or pool drink on the occasional weekend and you definitely want something where you can buy a whole bunch of them for under $20 and then really get in there put a major dent into the case. You want them cold and often and you want to have enough that you can give a lot of them away.

Now, when it comes to particular brands of lawnmower beers I personally don't like Miller beers or Yeungling. But if either are offered for free and are cold, I will accept and consume with gratitude.

That was beautiful. For a moment there I thought I'd stumbled into the poetry thread.

My go-to's have been pbr, gennesse (when I was in college there were two flavors of genessee, "mint" and "barbecue" better known as the cream ale and red lager, respectively), Busch heavies, and nattie light if I'm going for hydration beers.

Trisk, they don't put drink holders on riding lawnmowers fer nuthin'! ;) :cheers:

Oh yeah. My riding mower's beverage holder has had some good usage. My lawn is sequestered from the road by nice mature woods. No worries about unwanted spectators considering the legality of my actions.

Oh yeah. My riding mower's beverage holder has had some good usage. My lawn is sequestered from the road by nice mature woods. No worries about unwanted spectators considering the legality of my actions.

its actually none of their fucking business. for extra points may i suggest you put up some targets around your property and shoot them with a pistol while drinking a beer and mowing the lawn.

:lol:

Yeah, I thought the same thing, even though I'm quite familiar with the phrase "lawnmower beer" as a handle for cheap, easy-drinking fizzy yellow beers.

My favorite of those is Genesee Cream Ale. It's the first beer I ever tasted (back in 5th or 6th grade, when my parents let me have a sip), it was the beer I snuck out of the refrigerator on occasion in high school, and I still think it's a good no-frills beer.

Xray and I found it on tap at a local bar (which is pretty unusual -- it's very easy to find, but is offered almost exclusively in cans) a couple years ago. We ordered a pint of that and a pint of Founder's Breakfast Stout. Our bartender was amused.

Dammit, Mr. X! I had never heard of Genessee Cream Ale and wanted to try it. So I checked and, of course, it is not available anywhere near me. Ah well, maybe we'll take the bull by the horns and brew a clone sometime? I'll have to check into it. We've brewed some cream ale every spring for the last few years to enjoy during the summer anyway :dunno:

Mine, too! Ironically, our new zero-turn mower has a built in drink holder but it is driven with levers, which is awesome in almost every way, but one drawback is that it's not really conducive to enjoying a beverage while operating it because you have to stop to take a drink. On the flip side, our older riding mower did not have a drink holder so I simply mounted one of those older-style hard styro-foam can coozies on the rear fender right next to the seat - works like a charm! :cheers:

its actually none of their fucking business. for extra points may i suggest you put up some targets around your property and shoot them with a pistol while drinking a beer and mowing the lawn.

Excellent! I didn't know we got extra points for that! I was just doing it for fun anyway! :P

Archived