How about a thread for local heroes?

Littlefingers In The Air

We discuss everything around these parts, from feminism to current events to our beloved asoiaf series. I thought we could have something dedicated to the every day people you'll never hear about who do extraordinary things in our own communities. I'll start it off, of course.

A local Akronite was killed while rescuing a girl from a rolling bus.

She sacrificed her own life to save the life of this 10-year-old girl, said Akron police Lt. Rick Edwards.

We don't have a name for this hero, but she'll likely receive a candle light vigil around these parts. Rest in peace, ma'am. A child has life because you did not fear death.

Share tells of local heroism for all to read.

The UK boarders will have heard of this already, but when Manchester Dog's Home was set on fire last week, these two guys spent the time before the fire service arrived running in and out, getting as many dogs out as they could before the whole place went up.
It's obviously a horrible story all round, but hooray for those chaps.

The UK boarders will have heard of this already, but when Manchester Dog's Home was set on fire last week, these two guys spent the time before the fire service arrived running in and out, getting as many dogs out as they could before the whole place went up.

So awful. I've also heard that donations have been pouring in, and they've raised loads of money to rebuild. It's nice to see good people coming out and helping others, it's just a shame that such a tragedy had to happen.

This has made me so upset and I don't understand what sort of person would want to do this but those guys rock.

I've got a friend that is a police sgt in a small town. His chief wanted him to run the animal shelter because the police department was going to take it over. He said he would but only if he could run it on his terms. No kill. It has a better "survival" rate than any SPCA. He's really a hero.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bTBigjuNd2Q

Archived