Is it possible to redeem Arya?

I think it doesn't matter in the sense of it doesn't factor into why she killed him. She never bothered to inquire why he was sent to the Wall. But beyond that yes one can ask whether it says something larger about the system if he was in fact innocent.

Yes, only in the context of Arya killing him, not in general, of course. It's a legit point that he may have been innocent.

I think if she were a boy no one would be saying he needed a good woman to come along and love him, take care of him and forcibly change him if needed.

No kidding! OP has a misogynist tone to it.

Arya doesn't need a redemption because she's a good person and is a fucking hero.

I agree 100%.

What Arya Stark needs is not redemption, but hope.

I so very much agree.

Accused by a man part of an oppressive regime with all the reasons to want to get rid of him, yes.

He was an innocent man who fled first chance he got, that's rather unfortunate for Sam, Aemon, and Gilly, but I don't blame him for it. It isn't as if he had stolen from them either, or actively impeded their progress, he just stopped supporting them.

I'm late to the party but how in the world can you possibly be saying that Dareon is an innocent man? He stole money and resources from Sam and Aemon and promised to use his talents to provide them with food and support so that Aemon could recover and they could all buy passage to Old Town. Instead, he used his talents to drink and fuck whores and dress as a flamboyant dandy all the while ignoring the needs and comforts of his companions.

She knows he's guilty of breaking his vows, which requires the death penalty. I mean, if being attacked by ice zombies and fleeing for your life isn't grounds for leniency, I don't think anything is.

Agreed. Dareon abandoned his Oath to the Watch in a far more spectacular and selfish way than Gared did.

Lords of Winterfell and Wardens of the North have been doing that. The fact those people have been Starks has nothing to do with it.

So the answer would be the Warden of the North.

The current Warden of the North has no right to be called such. The Starks are the real rulers of the North, and Arya will never subject to Bolton's authority. As, supposedly, the last Stark, she is carrying out the duty that she learned from her father. Dareon deserted. Therefore, as far as she's concerned, his fate was sealed.

Lords of Winterfell and Wardens of the North have been doing that. The fact those people have been Starks has nothing to do with it.

So the answer would be the Warden of the North.

Why is a Greyjoy-stan going all Stannis for the letter of the law?

We don't know much about Meris' backstory, except it was pretty awful. Meris was raped and mutilated. Arya hasn't been, but she's been repeatedly threatened with both, witnessed such things, and seen her father, mother, and brother murdered, and the bodies of the last two desecrated. Her life has been a nightmare. I think she will finish up cruel, cold, and remorseless, like Meris.

Arya actually didn't witness her brother and mother murdered or mutilated. That happened in the show, not in the books.... :devil:

That said, she cannot be "just fine" coming out of the horror she has seen....

He basically let Maester Aemon die and abandoned a scared girl with a new-born on her hands because he found them annoying and would rather like the good life. I don't remember if Arya actually knows this, but it's certainly the reason why he gets zero sympathy from me as a reader. The guy's a douche.

Actually Dareon supported them for weeks while Sam sat on his ass and did nothing. Sam's idiocy got them stuck in Braavos in the first place. Aemon died because he was freaking old, nothing to do with Dareon's action.

I think Arya has pretty much gone off the rails. I certainly understand why she did, deeply sympathize with her, and remain extremely fond of her, but I would not call her a good person. Sorry.

It's very possible for her to redeem herself, but I doubt she will. I think she is, at bottom, a horror story of what being exposed to too much evil can do to a good person's heart.

I think Arya has pretty much gone off the rails. I certainly understand why she did, deeply sympathize with her, and remain extremely fond of her, but I would not call her a good person. Sorry.

It's very possible for her to redeem herself, but I doubt she will. I think she is, at bottom, a horror story of what being exposed to too much evil can do to a good person's heart.

What do you think about P.o.w's and war survivors I have to ask?

Archived