Why did Aerys want Robert's head?

It-was-koff-the-Pie-koff

Maester Walys has "reported" the Stark/Baratheon plans to move against the Targaryen

->Rickard was dumb(typicall Stark) enough to bring him to King's Landing

Walys was only exiled (thank's to his ally Varys and uncle Gerold) for his involvement in Rickard's "plans" and he joined the Golden Company as Haldon Halfmaester

->Luwin was send north to replace Walys in Winterfell

Walys was only exiled (thank's to his ally Varys and uncle Gerold) for his involvement in Rickard's "plans" and he joined the Golden Company as Haldon Halfmaester

->Luwin was send north to replace Walys in Winterfell

Why would Walys be exiled? It's not like everyone knows his involvement on the conspiracy (or the fact that there's a conspiracy at all!), it was only Lady Dustin who found out because she was such a Brandon fangirl. And even if someone found out, advising your liege lord is not a crime punishable by exile.

Also, Haldon is on the side who wants to bring dragons back to Westeros, so it doesn't add up. I do wonder what happened to Walys, though

The Southron ambitions conspiracy web was there for everyone to see. Aerys had it right when he went to the tourney at Harrenhall and offered Jaime a White Cloak. He screwed up by denying Rickard a proper trial.

I also wonder when was Jon Arryn's nephew, and the Northern hostages, killed. It's one thing to ask Jon Arryn for the heads of his wards while Jon Arryn's nephew is a hostage and another to kill said hostage and then demand fealty.

Aerys should have handled the situation better, but it's not paranoia if they are really after you.

What did he have to do with anything? I know he was crazy and everything, but why would he do this?

We're not given a detailed account of what happened at that time but we can assume that either someone from Rickard's party spoke of treasonous intentions on Robert's or Ned's behalf or Varys invented/found out something similar and used it to weaken the Targaryen rule, the letter is likelier. As for being crazy, I have my doubts. Something or someone was clearly working against him. Whether it was the Southern Conspiracy or just Rhaegar I don't know yet.

Yeah, what's even more confusing is he asked Jon Arryn to give the heads. Jon Arryn's heir had ridden to kingslanding with brandon, and been murdered.. Really shows you how useless a small council could be when the king is mad. Aerys literally just offered the Vale and the North an ally for them to get their revenge

Archived