Benjen Stark, how long a NW man?

Poppa Chase

Maybe it's more simple. Maybe he saw Lyanna leaving with Rhaegar and she made him promise not to tell. And he didn't. Which has haunted him because she, Rickard and Brandon all died as a result.

That is also possible, though I have to admit, I am convinced that Benjen was at Winterfell at that time, and Lyanna wasn't, so that scenario wouldn't work ;)

Actually, Benjen was 15-16 when he joined the Watch, if you believe he did that just after the RR.

Benjen joined within a few month after Ned returned (and Ned would have returned a few months after war's end), that is a known fact ;) I quoted the SSM earlier.

Benjen would have been about 15 years old, perhap just turned 16, at the oldest. We have no idea whether he was only one year younger than Lyanna, or two, or three...

Benjen should never have joined the NW before Robb came of age in case Ned died, which is exactly what happened and we see how that ended. Think how different things would have been if Benjen had never joined the NW. So I think he must have had a very good reason for joining. The only reason I can think of is that he had to join because he had done something: committed some crime, done something dishonourable, kept certain information secret, whatever. The fact that GRRM has refused to say supports this theory. Hopefully we'll find out in the next two books.

That is also possible, though I have to admit, I am convinced that Benjen was at Winterfell at that time, and Lyanna wasn't, so that scenario wouldn't work ;)

Benjen joined within a few month after Ned returned (and Ned would have returned a few months after war's end), that is a known fact ;) I quoted the SSM earlier.

Benjen would have been about 15 years old, perhap just turned 16, at the oldest. We have no idea whether he was only one year younger than Lyanna, or two, or three...

Where was she?

Where was she?

That is, as of yet, still unknown, but I personally doubt that she was at Winterfell.. travelling from Winterfell to KL would mean Rhaegar passed Brandon and Rickard on the road at least once, as they were travelling from Winterfell to Riverrun, and the kingsroad takes a while before it splits into different directions.

Also, the fact that Brandon went south, not north, could support that theory.

robb was in winterfell before ned came back from KL so when he saw that ned now also had a bastard that he could legitimize he probably got sad and went to the wall

Actually, it was the other way around. Catelyn and Robb arrive at Winterfell after Ned and Jon, which is just insult on injury,

Actually, it was the other way around. Catelyn and Robb arrive at Winterfell after Ned and Jon, which is just insult on injury,

Was Ned there as well? Jon and his wetnurse were at Winterfell, definitly. But didn't Ned go to get Catelyn (either directly from KL, thereby sending Jon ahead, or from Winterfell, having dropped Jon off, and then went south again to Riverrun)?

high rank in the Night's Watch is a birthright for younger sons and Stark bastards. Remember when Sam recounts the list of LCs and all the ones young as or younger than Jon were Starks or stark by-blows. If you think about it in a feudal sense, 14-15 is the age for high ranking nobles to receive knighthood and a living from land, I.e., holdfast, castle, or garrison command. If a plum spot isn't open, and Benjen expressed interest I. The NW, it would be consented to and probably blest.

high rank in the Night's Watch is a birthright for younger sons and Stark bastards. Remember when Sam recounts the list of LCs and all the ones young as or younger than Jon were Starks or stark by-blows. If you think about it in a feudal sense, 14-15 is the age for high ranking nobles to receive knighthood and a living from land, I.e., holdfast, castle, or garrison command. If a plum spot isn't open, and Benjen expressed interest I. The NW, it would be consented to and probably blest.

I've no doubts Benjen was interested in the Watch from before partially because of the long Stark affiliation with the Wall. That said, his family had just gone through major upheaval and were not in the same political position as before. There had to have been an impetus that prevented him from waiting a few years until Robb lived past infancy.

Archived