Benjen Stark, how long a NW man?

Poppa Chase

We know he is first ranger. We know he was in winterfell during the rebellion. We know he never met Mance Rayder. We know he was sent out to find missing rangers and hasn't returned.

So did he fight in the Greyjoy rebellion?

Did he know theon for a few years before joining?

He obviously knows the stark kids well enough, unless he is allowed to visit whenever.

He didn't recognize Mance in WF so he can't have too much knowledge on the king beyond the wall and former brother of his watch.

So I ask. In what year did Benjen join the watch?

robb was in winterfell before ned came back from KL so when he saw that ned now also had a bastard that he could legitimize he probably got sad and went to the wall

There's also the idea that Benjen knew more about Lyanna's kidnapping than he let on, and his guilt at staying silent pushed him to take the black, triggered to action by finding out about Jon's origins.

But there's a few holes in that theory so I don't put much stock in it.

Given how he tried to dissuade Jon from joining at such a young age, I imagine Benjen was of pretty similar years when he took the black (14-15). I personally buy into the "guilty over Lyanna" theory, as leaving your only living relative alone with only an infant son as his heir doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

robb was in winterfell before ned came back from KL so when he saw that ned now also had a bastard that he could legitimize he probably got sad and went to the wall

Benjen showed interest in the Night's Watch before that, at the Tourney of Harrenhal, irrc.

It makes sense at a young age to think about it because at that time, he was third born son and stood heir to nothing.

But we know he was in winterfell for the rebellion so he stood to take Ned's place. Go off and marry some high lords daughter, to stand a chance to inherit their lands, or be given his own lands and marry a local lords daughter to improve relations.

Given how he tried to dissuade Jon from joining at such a young age, I imagine Benjen was of pretty similar years when he took the black (14-15). I personally buy into the "guilty over Lyanna" theory, as leaving your only living relative alone with only an infant son as his heir doesn't seem to make a lot of sense.

Yeah. I don't remember any indication that Benjen waited until Bran was born to join the Watch; none of the kids seem to remember him before he joined the Watch. So the entire Stark line of succession was Ned; Ned's infant son who has a decent chance of dying to childhood illnesses, possibly an infant daughter or two, and Ned's infant bastard. And Ned's new Southron wife with the wrong religion isn't exactly a confidence-inspiring regent for baby Robb.

Especially since with Ned married to Catelyn, Benjen was the last hope for any of the northern lords to intermarry with the Stark family in that generation. And Rickard Stark didn't seem to have any siblings and hadn't married a woman from a prominent northern house either. Lady Dustin can't have been the only grumpy noble about that.

Benjen had a clear duty to marry a prominent northern house and be a credible heir for Ned until Robb came of age. I agree that he must have abandoned that duty because he felt deeply guilty about something and was something of an impetuous teenager.

Benjen joined in either 283AC or 284AC, depending on when in the year Ned exactly returned, and how one defines "a few months".

6) When, specifically, did Benjen join the NW? Was it a couple of years after Ned returned, or immediately?

It was within a few months of Ned's returning. The reason being that there always was a Stark at Winterfell, so he had to stay there until Ned returned. GRRM refused to say the reason why Benjen had to join the NW.

Source!

So no, Benjen did not fight in the Greyjoy Rebellion. He was allowed to visit Winterfell (we see him do that), and wouldn't have known Mance, because Mance lived at the Shadow Tower, and Benjen at Castle Black.

Obviously, as he was no longer at Winterfell at the Greyjoy Rebellion, he did not know Theon before joining the NW.

I'm sure Benjen knows about Lyanna being Jon's mother. After all, he was her brother too. He had the right to know the truth, even if he didn't know Lyanna's motivations, which I think he didn't. Benjen wouldn't tell others because Jon is also his blood and he would want to protect him.

But indeed, as many has said, guilt doesn't seem to be the reason for him to join. Looks like he really likes being at the Wall.

Benjen joined in either 283AC or 284AC, depending on when in the year Ned exactly returned, and how one defines "a few months".

Source!

So no, Benjen did not fight in the Greyjoy Rebellion. He was allowed to visit Winterfell (we see him do that), and wouldn't have known Mance, because Mance lived at the Shadow Tower, and Benjen at Castle Black.

Obviously, as he was no longer at Winterfell at the Greyjoy Rebellion, he did not know Theon before joining the NW.

Thanks for the solid answers!

I'm sure Benjen knows about Lyanna being Jon's mother. After all, he was her brother too. He had the right to know the truth, even if he didn't know Lyanna's motivations, which I think he didn't. Benjen wouldn't tell others because Jon is also his blood and he would want to protect him.

But indeed, as many has said, guilt doesn't seem to be the reason for him to join. Looks like he really likes being at the Wall.

Hmm.. I always figured that Benjen had planned to go to the Wall anyways (the app states thay Benjen took the plea of the Black Brother at Harrenhal's Tourney to hearth, so perhaps there this dream began), but that the events from the Rebellion had caused Benjen to join at a younger age than he had planned to.

The circumstances are additionally strange, as Benjen left his house to join the NW, where he would forever give up all claims to Winterfell, during a time where the inheritance of Winterfell wasn't all that certain. There was only Ned, and an infant child (and an infant bastard). You'd think that Benjen would stick around for a few years, until Ned has more children, and then join the Wall, now that Winterfell is safely where the inheritance is concerned. But no, Benjen joins within months of Ned's return.. Which makes me wonder whether guilt isn't playing a part here.

Under the spoiler tag, I explain my thoughts on a possible scenario for Benjen and his possible guilt. Simply spoilertagged it because it is a bit OT. :)

I've once theorized that it is possible that Benjen might have received a message from Lyanna, stating that she had gone with Rhaegar out of free will, but that Benjen failed to get the message through to Rickard and Brandon in time, causing Brandon to reach KL, be arrested, for Rickard to be summoned, and for both of them to die.

Tied into that, would be Ned arriving at Winterfell to call his banners. There, he would find Benjen, the Stark at Winterfell, who would tell him about Lyanna's message. Ned would have no choice to fight in the war, as the war is not about Lyanna's disappearance, but about the murders of Rickard, Brandon, Brandons friends, their fathers, and Rickards 200 men, in addition to the demand of the heads of innocent Ned and Robert. Ned, knowing that Lyanna went with Rhaegar willingly, would have to spend a big part of the war listening to Robert being furious at Rhaegar for kidnapping Lyanna, raping her, etc.

And imagine Ned's horror, when he discovers the bodies of Rhaegars children, or, what is left of them, and, what's even worse, how little Robert cares about what happened to those children, and how relieved Robert seems to be. Ned rode out in anger the next day.. Was it only in anger? Or also in fear? Fear because Ned can count to 9, and suspects that Lyanna and Rhaegar would have had time enough to get Lyanna pregnant.. Fear, because someone else might try and succeed to find Lyanna, and discover a child, before Ned can reach her.

Now, this would mean that Benjens role in everything wasn't all too big. He simply failed to get a message through. That could range from having send the raven too late (waiting days before sending the message to Rickard), or from feeling guilt about not choosing the best way to get the message across (he could have send a raven to Riverrun, where Rickard and Brandon were going, but the raven got lossed), or from feeling that he should have, could have, must have acted faster, even though it might not have been possible at all to get the message to Rickard and Brandon in time (If Lyanna send a message, Brandon might still have learned about her "kidnapping" before the message reached Benjen at Winterfell. In that scenario, even if Benjen had send a raven out immediately, Aerys' demand for Rickard to go to KL might still have reached Rickard before Benjens letter could).

There's some more to say about this, but as it's getting really OT, I think I'll stop here :)

Hmm.. I always figured that Benjen had planned to go to the Wall anyways (the app states thay Benjen took the plea of the Black Brother at Harrenhal's Tourney to hearth, so perhaps there this dream began), but that the events from the Rebellion had caused Benjen to join at a younger age than he had planned to.

The circumstances are additionally strange, as Benjen left his house to join the NW, where he would forever give up all claims to Winterfell, during a time where the inheritance of Winterfell wasn't all that certain. There was only Ned, and an infant child (and an infant bastard). You'd think that Benjen would stick around for a few years, until Ned has more children, and then join the Wall, now that Winterfell is safely where the inheritance is concerned. But no, Benjen joins within months of Ned's return.. Which makes me wonder whether guilt isn't playing a part here.

Under the spoiler tag, I explain my thoughts on a possible scenario for Benjen and his possible guilt. Simply spoilertagged it because it is a bit OT. :)

I've once theorized that it is possible that Benjen might have received a message from Lyanna, stating that she had gone with Rhaegar out of free will, but that Benjen failed to get the message through to Rickard and Brandon in time, causing Brandon to reach KL, be arrested, for Rickard to be summoned, and for both of them to die.

Tied into that, would be Ned arriving at Winterfell to call his banners. There, he would find Benjen, the Stark at Winterfell, who would tell him about Lyanna's message. Ned would have no choice to fight in the war, as the war is not about Lyanna's disappearance, but about the murders of Rickard, Brandon, Brandons friends, their fathers, and Rickards 200 men, in addition to the demand of the heads of innocent Ned and Robert. Ned, knowing that Lyanna went with Rhaegar willingly, would have to spend a big part of the war listening to Robert being furious at Rhaegar for kidnapping Lyanna, raping her, etc.

And imagine Ned's horror, when he discovers the bodies of Rhaegars children, or, what is left of them, and, what's even worse, how little Robert cares about what happened to those children, and how relieved Robert seems to be. Ned rode out in anger the next day.. Was it only in anger? Or also in fear? Fear because Ned can count to 9, and suspects that Lyanna and Rhaegar would have had time enough to get Lyanna pregnant.. Fear, because someone else might try and succeed to find Lyanna, and discover a child, before Ned can reach her.

Now, this would mean that Benjens role in everything wasn't all too big. He simply failed to get a message through. That could range from having send the raven too late (waiting days before sending the message to Rickard), or from feeling guilt about not choosing the best way to get the message across (he could have send a raven to Riverrun, where Rickard and Brandon were going, but the raven got lossed), or from feeling that he should have, could have, must have acted faster, even though it might not have been possible at all to get the message to Rickard and Brandon in time (If Lyanna send a message, Brandon might still have learned about her "kidnapping" before the message reached Benjen at Winterfell. In that scenario, even if Benjen had send a raven out immediately, Aerys' demand for Rickard to go to KL might still have reached Rickard before Benjens letter could).

There's some more to say about this, but as it's getting really OT, I think I'll stop here :)

Maybe it's more simple. Maybe he saw Lyanna leaving with Rhaegar and she made him promise not to tell. And he didn't. Which has haunted him because she, Rickard and Brandon all died as a result.

Archived