How did Maegor die?

Poppa Chase

How did Maegor die? Much like Tywin it would seem. Up for debate (he was poisoned, it was a fluke, he was murdered).

Actually, didn't Balerion live past Jaehaerys reign? I thought there were other people who rode him.

He died during Jaehaerys. But it's not listed if anyone rode him after Maegor. Just that Jaehaeys rode a different dragon his whole life, and said dragon would not accept another rider until he was tamed by a random son of a blacksmith in the dance.

How did Maegor die? Much like Tywin it would seem. Up for debate (he was poisoned, it was a fluke, he was murdered).

Actually, didn't Balerion live past Jaehaerys reign? I thought there were other people who rode him.

Balerion died in 94AC ;), during Jaehaerys' reign.

There are a few possibilities for Maegor's death. Perhaps it was one of his wives, one of his KG, one of the lords still at court. Perhaps he killed himself whilst sitting on his throne.

There is not yet enough info on this to make a good guess.

He died during Jaehaerys. But it's not listed if anyone rode him after Maegor. Just that Jaehaeys rode a different dragon his whole life, and said dragon would not accept another rider until he was tamed by a random son of a blacksmith in the dance.

Balerion died in 94AC ;), during Jaehaerys' reign.

I have not read the Rouge Prince but I thought there was a mention that Viserys the first rode the dragon.

I have not read the Rouge Prince but I thought there was a mention that Viserys the first rode the dragon.

Yeah, Aegon rode Balerion from before the Conquest, until 37AC, Maegor from 37AC until 48AC, and Viserys I from an unknown time, until Balerions death in 94AC. Whether someone rode Balerion between Maegor and Viserys is currently unknown.

It's said that the iron throne killed him. But did the faith kill him for being a tyrant and all around dick?

ding! ding! ding! ding! ding!

Although, I think the myth of the throne "killing" or hurting unworthy Kings started there. Because that's, obviously, a myth. We know the throne has still sharp blades, if a King carefully sits there, nothing happens. But, if a King is all stressed, anxious, paranoid and unruly, then, there are more chances of him to get cut.

Maegor was the one who had all those secret passages built into the Red Keep and then murdered all the builders.

One has to wonder if he managed to get every single last one of the people who cared about one or more of those builders, or if one managed to exact some revenge.

i consider much of early Targaryan history to be deliberately misleading and euphemistic.

Maegor's brother's death is unknown too, as is why Maegor assumed the IT ahead of Aenys' son. You could almost argue a case that a system of brotherly throne-sharing and "disappearancing" was in place to maintain harmony, labelled "death" to legitimise the following ruler. Were they really killed? Did they really die? Well if the history accounts are fully accurate, many of Maegors' ancestors never officially died. It's hard to shake the idea that some at least were beyond death through ageing and "stood down" for the next generation, going into exile to avoid suspicion, perhaps to some wintry wasteland, or to pop up later under a new Targ identity to take their turn as a "son".

Also, there's practically nothing currently known about the Kingsguard during Maegor's rule.

Maybe Jaime wasn't the first, and maybe it wasn't just one of them but all of them (think of it as an homage to Agatha Christie).

Or it's more like a retroactive foreshadowing (?!) of Aerys' KG trying to take down, if not only Dayne and Whent were involved. They didn't openly defy Aerys, quite the contrary.

i consider much of early Targaryan history to be deliberately misleading and euphemistic.

Maegor's brother's death is unknown too, as is why Maegor assumed the IT ahead of Aenys' son. You could almost argue a case that a system of brotherly throne-sharing and "disappearancing" was in place to maintain harmony, labelled "death" to legitimise the following ruler. Were they really killed? Did they really die? Well if the history accounts are fully accurate, many of Maegors' ancestors never officially died. It's hard to shake the idea that some at least were beyond death through ageing and "stood down" for the next generation, going into exile to avoid suspicion, perhaps to some wintry wasteland, or to pop up later under a new Targ identity to take their turn as a "son".

Whut? :blink:

At the end of his life, Aenys was sick. Visenya send the maesters away and cared for Aenys personally. He was dead within days. Visenya then left on Vhagar, and returned with Maegor, who, by the time of Aenys' death, had been exiled for three years already.

With the knowledge that Visenya went to get Maegor out of exile immediately upon Aenys' death, combined with the knowledge that Maegor would later on fight against Aenys' children, I think it can be stated with rather a big amount of certainty that Maegor's ascension onto the throne was by force, not because everyone had agreed upon it.

And you say

Well if the history accounts are fully accurate, many of Maegors' ancestors never officially died.

Do tell, who did not die officially?

I heard that he (Maegor I Targaryen) cut himself the throne and it was deep cut!

Rumours are that it was the throne that killed him. That most likely means that Maegor was found dead on the Iron Throne, and that it was bloody.

Which basically rules out poison, as that wouldn't leave much for rumours about the throne.

But how exactly Maegor died (killed, suicide, accident) is unknown. I assume we will learn at least something in the world book, that will help make the picture clearer (though honestly I don't expect a clear answer on the question "how did Maegor I die?").

Archived