US Politics: Common Ground Between Democrats and Republicans

Tywin Manderly

Only halfway through that article, but:

We also find that one of the favorite policies advocated by conservatives to prevent voter fraud appears strikingly ineffective. Nearly three quarters of the non-citizens who indicated they were asked to provide photo identification at the polls claimed to have subsequently voted.

And we should let non-citizen permanent resident vote anyway. But that's an entirely different discussion.

Sigh. This should go without saying if you read the article but that's not at all the take away given sample size and the limitations the authors fully admit. There has also been a follow up showing why CCES is not the appropriate data for testing such claims. What do studies from legit sources such as Stanford say on the topic? Next.

So Commodore, any comments on your previous "examples" that were debunked or is this were you disappear again?

Couple years old but good RS article on the GOP's efforts to suppress the vote.

As the nation gears up for the 2012 presidential election, Republican officials have launched an unprecedented, centrally coordinated campaign to suppress the elements of the Democratic vote that elected Barack Obama in 2008. Just as Dixiecrats once used poll taxes and literacy tests to bar black Southerners from voting, a new crop of GOP governors and state legislators has passed a series of seemingly disconnected measures that could prevent millions of students, minorities, immigrants, ex-convicts and the elderly from casting ballots. "What has happened this year is the most significant setback to voting rights in this country in a century," says Judith Browne-Dianis, who monitors barriers to voting as co-director of the Advancement Project, a civil rights organization based in Washington, D.C.

Republicans have long tried to drive Democratic voters away from the polls. "I don't want everybody to vote," the influential conservative activist Paul Weyrich told a gathering of evangelical leaders in 1980. "As a matter of fact, our leverage in the elections quite candidly goes up as the voting populace goes down." But since the 2010 election, thanks to a conservative advocacy group founded by Weyrich, the GOP's effort to disrupt voting rights has been more widespread and effective than ever. In a systematic campaign orchestrated by the American Legislative Exchange Council – and funded in part by David and Charles Koch, the billionaire brothers who bankrolled the Tea Party – 38 states introduced legislation this year designed to impede voters at every step of the electoral process.

Only halfway through that article, but:

And we should let non-citizen permanent resident vote anyway. But that's an entirely different discussion.

The entire idea of letting someone stay permanently but not be a citizen is fucking bonkers.

You want to ban guns and let non-citizen permanent residents vote???

*facepalm*

As TrueMetis pointed out, optimally they should really be granted citizenship, given that they're living here permanently anyway. As it stands, I see no reason to give some permanent residents the ability to vote while keeping that right from others.

The entire idea of letting someone stay permanently but not be a citizen is fucking bonkers.

Some people may not want citizenship even though they have permanent residency (I have family members who did that), though I think they should be able to obtain citizenship if they wanted.

Oh, look. NRA lobbies to kill a bill in Pennsylvania that would ban the slaughter of dogs and cats for food because it contained a provision to ban pigeon shoots as well.

Just totally devoted to the second amendment and nothing else, that group.

Also, did anyone else see Chris Christie's response to the nurse he had quarantined? "It's not my job to represent her." I swear, that should be his campaign slogan now.

You want to ban guns and let non-citizen permanent residents vote???

*facepalm*

Yes, taxpayers with the legal right to permanently reside in the United States should be able to vote and have a say in their government. No taxation without representation and all that. Should be common sense, really.

Yes, taxpayers with the legal right to permanently reside in the United States should be able to vote and have a say in their government. No taxation without representation and all that. Should be common sense, really.

That all well and good, but if you BAN GUNS how can they exercise the most basic, core right of all Americans; to carry their rifle into a fast food franchise? I mean, priorities, man.

At work I have been delivering little placard type deals to various folks with their voting record on them for the past couple of years. Things like 2010: Did not vote; 2012: voted absentee. The ones getting these little gems are also the ones that get lots of right wing literature. These are cards, not envelopes, with the names and addresses right next to this info. I find this a tad spooky, and wonder about the ethics.

It would be interesting to hear your opinion on this if they vote against your party. If they are here illegally, they absolutely can not and should not be allowed to vote. No brainer. One again, your logic is mystifying

I read it as her quite rightly calling out supply side/trickle down voodoo for what it is. It's been thoroughly debunked at this point so I'm not sure what is so controversial? I mean I guess if you remove all context(maybe this is the new approach from the right given twtp bizarre comments earlier) but it's clear given the whole piece where she was going.

&

Given the economic benefits of a boost in minimum wage is widely accepted by economists where are you taking this argument?

So let's make the minimum wage $100 an hour, I mean don't let anyone tell you it kills jobs!

I'm sorry are you the mystical employer who hired people without sufficient demand to sustain them? Are you hiring people just because? Cause if so I don't think you're going to last very long.

Da hell you talking about? The quote was that businesses don't create jobs, that through some alchemy it's really the government that creates them by moving money from one pocket to another. Anyway yes I'm hiring people, I'm giving them a wage from my bank account paid for with my money so in the universe I live in I'm creating jobs. If Clinton was trying to make some comment on supply side economics versus Keynesianism she did a shit poor job of it, on the surface her statement comes across as batshit.

Bolded for emphasis prince.

So let's make the minimum wage $100 an hour, I mean don't let anyone tell you it kills jobs!

Da hell you talking about? The quote was that businesses don't create jobs, that through some alchemy it's really the government that creates them by moving money from one pocket to another. Anyway yes I'm hiring people, I'm giving them a wage from my bank account paid for with my money so in the universe I live in I'm creating jobs. If Clinton was trying to make some comment on supply side economics versus Keynesianism she did a shit poor job of it, on the surface her statement comes across as batshit.

The fuck? Did we read different articles or something?

I'm giving them a wage from my bank account paid for with my money so in the universe I live in I'm creating jobs.

Oh I'm sorry I didn't realize that you were independently wealthy. Cause that the only way this makes sense, other wise the money comes from demand on whatever it is your business is supplying. Yes it's your money, from selling a product or service that has demand. Without that demand, no jobs no business.

It would be interesting to hear your opinion on this if they vote against your party. If they are here illegally, they absolutely can not and should not be allowed to vote. No brainer. One again, your logic is mystifying

Your grasp on the issue at hand leaves something to be desired. Do you know what permanent resident status is?

Screw you creepo referred to non citizen permanent residents. Do you know what non citizen means!? http://m.townhall.com/tipsheet/guybenson/2014/10/27/voter-fraud-study-n1909814 educate yourself

Screw you creepo referred to my post referring to non-citizen permanent residents. Non-citizen means not a citizen, it does not mean someone is here illegally. Permanent residency is a legal status that allows a person to legally dwell in the United States permanently, but does not grant them full citizenship. You can consider yourself slightly more educated now.

Archived