Bran Stark won't appear in season 5 (confirmed)

Brandon the Wise

We usually have more commercial breaks than that in the US, on most channels. There are a few special channels like PBS (Public Broadcasting Service, broadcast) or Turner Classic Movies (basic cable) without commercials, and the subscription channels like HBO (premium cable). In the (usually) short breaks between shows, they promote their own stuff.

Was hoping he'd appear in a dream sequence with Arya or Jon, just to keep him in the audience minds and show how strong the connection between the Stark siblings is.

Upside is this will give them more time to flesh out other storylines.

• 4 weeks later...

Professional writer doesn't necessarily mean good writer. Seems right now they have a plan of telling and not showing. What works better, Howland Reed showing up and dictating what he saw or Ned seeing it and feeling it in his dream? Mel's visions are blurry and unreliable and she doesn't tend to get things about the past, more about the future.

he is the "best" hope

Agree, not sure how fully confident I am in these writers given they conjured up some disjointed outcomes

This is a visual medium, you can't get the viewer invested simply by "telling" or referring to an invent like a book where you can go into their emotions, they have to show it. Best way to do that in terms of the show now is Bran. Best way int he books too it seems, I have highly enjoyed his chapters, Knight of laughing tree etc

I think their decision can be considered understandable from a practical budget perspective. Artistically it might be tricky, unless they are planning to show a big jump/change in him for season 6. Could be they are just waiting for GRRM to further flesh out his WoW chapters

*AND the crow was so 'nice' and friendly old wizard looking.

Hated it.

Yeah what a screw up that was, predictably gave rise to Gamdalf jokes

Really needed to put the make-up effort required to make him the one-eyed rotted corpse conjoined to a tree that BR now is to really set him apart

I can understand these make-up issues are problematic and a distraction, eg Tyrions scar is good, but with BR they needed to make the effort, it's not like he's going to be in THAT many scenes. If anything he's more likely to be a VoiceOver in Brans head IMO

Given how much the past two seasons have relied on padding out certain storylines, I'm still rather surprised that Bran was cut.

That said - I agree that Bran's ADwD material would be rather uncinematic, if you were to film it literally, and that it's not much to work with. Few good scenes could have been made of it.

THAT said - a few good scenes would have been better than none IMO.Just two or three moments, spaced out over the season, would have been all it took to keep Bran in the show in an effective way.

@Elessar: because you obviously only read and/or watch stuff from "professional writers" (whatever your definition is because last I heard Benioff wrote the 25th Hour and City of Thieves, both of which were very well-received so if that's not a professional writer....). By that standard you can pretty much give up on watching and/or liking Hollywood films and tv altogether. Breaking Bad had that awful episode with the fly in it and it didn't even need to please fans of a pre-existing work and it was still awful. If that was the only episode of that show I'd seen I wouldn't recommend it to others as a show at all so it's fair to say people write better or worse depending on their mood and commitment level that day or depending on how invested they still are in telling their story. You don't just write a great book and then everything you write after that is automatically THE.BEST.THING.EVAH. I think we all know that AFFC and ADWD aren't halfway as good as ASOS so if I had to look at the series right now I'd say the good still outweighs the bad but of TWOW doesn't deliver I'd have to reassess Martin's skills as a writer as well. You know there is no objective standard to this.

As for Bran not reappearing in season 5 I think it's so that the new status quo for him will be all that more surprising to people.

This was a lose-lose situation in my oppinion.

If Bran had reached the Three-Eyed Raven at the end of season 5, that would have meant we would have watched him being dragged north for 3 whole seasons. Even if he'd made fewer appearances in that time, it would still have been repetitive.

But the current situation is no better, excluding him from the show just as his story finally starts picking up steam. His storyline could not move forward (I'm assuming) because other people's storylines are too far behind still for him to interact with them.

This was a lose-lose situation in my oppinion.

If Bran had reached the Three-Eyed Raven at the end of season 5, that would have meant we would have watched him being dragged north for 3 whole seasons. Even if he'd made fewer appearances in that time, it would still have been repetitive.

But the current situation is no better, excluding him from the show just as his story finally starts picking up steam. His storyline could not move forward (I'm assuming) because other people's storylines are too far behind still for him to interact with them.

I don't think they've said he won't be in the season at all, it's just assumed so after D&D said Bran's storyline won't be going to beoynd books and they won't show his training because it'd be boring. They can very well do some visions of his and maybe have him interact with other characters like in the books.

I doubt they'll just cut him for a whole year without any explanations whatsoever, that'd be just bad decision.

Archived