You're under siege: but which fortress would you defend?

James Steller

The Eyrie is impossible to assault, but is pretty easy to submit.

Once you get the Gates of the Moon you just need to sit and wait.

The premise is that you are already cut off and besieged.

Any and every fortress will surrender to time eventually. I have no idea where the idea that because this is true of a supposedly invulnerable fortress (Eyrie) it's especially true of same; it's not.

In fact, The Eyrie can be safely manned by very few men, but has granaries the size of Winterfell's and access to running water. It can hold out better than any fortress we know of under siege.

And in the meanwhile, the besiegers are living on narrow dangerous mountain paths and ledges in all kinds of weather, and having to carry all supplies up same on a constant basis.

I'll take the Eyrie quite comfortably.

Depends on my men and the invading forces. If we're speaking of a general army than I would go with either Storm's End or The Dreadfort. Winterfell would be a good choice but it is to vulnerable from the south. Moat Cailin as well but then again no retreating point in case your forces get pummeled. Who knows?

Pray tell, how is Winterfell vulnerable from the south? Not remembering any deficiencies in its defenses.

The Eyrie.

I'm lazy.

Doesn't Tyrion think about how he would take the Eyrie at one point? It seems that a sufficiently large and determined force (ie. you are prepared to lose a large chunk of it) could storm the Eyrie. Or you could try to hire a few wildlings to climb it from the other side and set the granary on fire.

Doesn't Tyrion think about how he would take the Eyrie at one point? It seems that a sufficiently large and determined force (ie. you are prepared to lose a large chunk of it) could storm the Eyrie. Or you could try to hire a few wildlings to climb it from the other side and set the granary on fire.

No, tv show/Bronn. Tyrion/Books calls it impregnable.

in the show not sure about the books, Bronn says with a few good men and some climbing spikes ill impregnate the bitch. we know the Free Folk can scale the Wall, the Eyrie could be taken through tactics like theirs.

The Wall is only vulnerable to that because it's so long parts can go un-patrolled, but if a patrol sees the climbers they're fucked.

The Eyrie is always patrolled.

Moat Cailin or Greywater Watch.

Winterfell during the winter would be good too.

Wouldn't Oldtown be easy to defend during autumn because of the storms?

The Eyrie would also be another great fortress, but I'd hate to be up so high.

I would say the Eyrie. It is impossible to assault and can be held by only a few men, meaning my food stores will last longer. Patroling the walls should be enough to protect from climbers as well. The Wall is 700 feet at its highest, the Eyrie is several thousand feet over the ground. But then I remember that the Eyrie is basically uninhabitable during winter. In the premise I don't know how long I'll be besieged so even though it's not winter at the start I can't be sure it won't come before the siege is done. If you don't know how long you will be there, the Eyrie is a big no. It is also impossible to sneak out and escape.

My second idea was Winterfell, with the possibilities of growing more food inside. However, while Winterfell is certainly very strong I don't know how susceptible it is for long sieges when the enemies have time and resources to constuct large siege weapons. Is it strong enough to stand against that?

So in the end I would say Storm's End or Casterly Rock, and from them probably SE as we've seen that and know more about it. CR is more unknown.

In fact, The Eyrie can be safely manned by very few men, but has granaries the size of Winterfell's

Source? Because the Eyrie is the smallest of the Great House castles according to AWOIAF and others.

And the Eyrie weakness was showed by the Lords Declarants, it can't endure a long siege.

Source? Because the Eyrie is the smallest of the Great House castles according to AWOIAF and others.

And the Eyrie weakness was showed by the Lords Declarants, it can't endure a long siege.

From GoT, chapter 34, Catelyn

. It had no need of stables nor smithys nor kennels, but Ned said its granary was as large as Winterfell's, and its towers could house five hundred men

Archived