Season 5 Casting, News and Speculation V 6 [show spoilers]

Seneti

The Mance / FArya plot isn't happening. Show Mance isn't a bard and it isn't clear they're doing fArya at all.

And while the Iron Born are a threat in the books, they're pretty wimpy on the show. Yara rides to Winterfell with what looks like 20 men in season 2. Yara raids the Dreadfort with 50 men in season 4. The Iron Born in the show always think in terms of dozens of men while everybody else thinks in terms of hundreds and thousands. In the books, Victarion abandoned the post and the Northern Bannermen wore down the Iron Born at Moat Cailin. In the show, the Iron Born apparently gave themselves a disease and died on their own. And apparently Yara abandoned Deepwood Motte in season 3 in the show. Robb only cared about the Iron Born invasion when they hit Winterfell and Bolton only cared about it when they held Moat Cailin (and Bolton was overestimating them). The Iron Born just haven't been positioned as a worthy foe for Stannis to focus energy on.

I don't think that it's that clear, since we haven't gotten a lot of Winterfell news.

I'm pretty sure that they said that Yara had like 30 longships to take Deepwood Motte. They also haven't mentioned Deepwood Motte falling. Yara just went back to Pyke. Jon just needs to say something like: "The Ironborn still hold Deepwood Motte. The people who live there have no love for Boltons, and if your grace returned their castle to them, the North would see you as more than another conqueror." It's not about Stannis fighting worthy foes. It's about Stannis protecting the realm.

I think GRRM just got excited about the $$$$ and HBO, and aimed too high and flopped like joncon

Can't say I blame him. I would totally sell out, too, if I had the possibility of making as much as he did on the deal and being set for the rest of my life. I think most people would, although they wouldn't want to admit it.

I don't think that it's that clear, since we haven't gotten a lot of Winterfell news.

I'm pretty sure that they said that Yara had like 30 longships to take Deepwood Motte. They also haven't mentioned Deepwood Motte falling. Yara just went back to Pyke. Jon just needs to say something like: "The Ironborn still hold Deepwood Motte. The people who live there have no love for Boltons, and if your grace returned their castle to them, the North would see you as more than another conqueror." It's not about Stannis fighting worthy foes. It's about Stannis protecting the realm.

Theon had one ship with 20 men on it. So Yara had 600 men at Deepwood Motte? Maybe 200 men at Moat Cailin? And some other boats going up and down the shore like Theon was supposed to?

If Stannis wants to look kingly, he should protect the realm from important threats. The Others are an important threat. The wildlings are an important threat. But Stannis leaves the Wall. You want Stannis to abandon actual important threats to go after Yara's small garrison at Deepwood Motte. I think such a course of action would impress neither the citizens of the north nor the audience of the show.

The only good reason for Stannis to leave the Wall in the show is to destroy the Boltons.

He signed this deal circa 2007, when he was expecting to finish ADWD within a year or so. At the time it must have seemed doable, but he consistently failed to take actions necessary to meet deadlines (in one of his more recent interviews he observed that the show led to him getting all kinds of offers to attend conventions, etc. in foreign countries, and obviously he was not going to turn down any of these offers)

I bet the Winterfell stuff is about to kick off, and the Wall too, seeing as Alfie, Iwan and Kit have already been spotted.

Carice usually tweets when she flies back to Belfast too..

we probably won't get much info on filming but just knowing they're around makes me feel better, I don't ask for much! :dunno:

Carice is a weird anomaly amongst the show's cast in that she tweets set photos, photos of herself and other cast in costume, even script covers on occasion. She doesn't do it all the time, but when you compare her with any of the other cast active on social media, they never do anything like that. Which is odd, because you would think that if the show had a policy of not tweeting onset info, they would have asked her to stop by now.

GRRM has got to do what's right by his work and D&D have to do what's right by theirs. That means GRRM not rushing the books to accommodate a TV show, and it means the TV show not dragging its feet to accommodate GRRM. It's going to be a Scott Pilgrim situation.

Theon had one ship with 20 men on it. So Yara had 600 men at Deepwood Motte? Maybe 200 men at Moat Cailin? And some other boats going up and down the shore like Theon was supposed to?

If Stannis wants to look kingly, he should protect the realm from important threats. The Others are an important threat. The wildlings are an important threat. But Stannis leaves the Wall. You want Stannis to abandon actual important threats to go after Yara's small garrison at Deepwood Motte. I think such a course of action would impress neither the citizens of the north nor the audience of the show.

The only good reason for Stannis to leave the Wall in the show is to destroy the Boltons.

Well it certainly impressed a lot of people in the books. And he'll get more troops from Deepwood Motte to deal with the Boltons.

If FArya is cut (which would be a very bad decision IMO) what will Stannis and the Boltons do the entire season?

I bet the Winterfell stuff is about to kick off, and the Wall too, seeing as Alfie, Iwan and Kit have already been spotted.

we probably won't get much info on filming but just knowing they're around makes me feel better, I don't ask for much! :dunno:

Makes you feel better in regards to what? No delay?

Makes you feel better in regards to what? No delay?

I don't understand why you are so hung up on the possibility of a delay.

Kit Harington broke his ankle a few weeks before shooting for season 3 began, and the show still came out on time even then. There won't be a delay unless they run into some really, really bad luck.

End of March, beginning of April. That's when it starts. Stop worrying about it so much.

Carice is a weird anomaly amongst the show's cast in that she tweets set photos, photos of herself and other cast in costume, even script covers on occasion. She doesn't do it all the time, but when you compare her with any of the other cast active on social media, they never do anything like that. Which is odd, because you would think that if the show had a policy of not tweeting onset info, they would have asked her to stop by now.

All hail Carice, we'd never get any Dragonstone pics if it wasn't for her. And if she ever tweets a picture of Stephen I will be posting from the grave.

/Fondly remembers the time she tweeted that she was having sticky toffee pudding with Stannis and Davos...

April the 5th is better for marketing purposes, because it has the number 5 in it. You know for season 5.

An astute point. Not sure if I mentioned this before but it also could depend on the season structure and the memorial day weekend hiatus. "Do we want to take a break between episodes here, or is this a better point to maintain ratings after the break given the episodic content?"

The suits wanted BSG to go another series. The producers ended it at it's intended run.

I can see Game being pushed to a 7.5, or an 8 series run now.

HBO is less hands-on though. They give much more creative freedom. And in any case, with a cast of this scale and the impending contract renegotiations, HBO would need a massive budget boost to allow an eighth season. 7.5 is possible, though. With all the cuts, I'm not sure they'd even need it, but it's probably something they've considered.

An astute point. Not sure if I mentioned this before but it also could depend on the season structure and the memorial day weekend hiatus. "Do we want to take a break between episodes here, or is this a better point to maintain ratings after the break given the episodic content?"

Assuming it's April 5th, that would mean Memorial Day falls between episodes 7 and 8... if that means anything

Archived