Season 5 Casting, News and Speculation V 6 [show spoilers]

Seneti

These Brienne comments bother me only because I feel like there is some deep seeded misogyny laced in there, even if it's subconscious. Stannis murders his own family, treats his most loyal friend like absolute crap, and cheats on his wife, yet everyone loves his character. Brienne acts a little sarcastic, and it makes her a bitch. She wins her fights, and it proves that the writers have an agenda. But when The hound kills 5 people at the same time, he's just a badass. It made complete logical sense that he could do that. Ugh...

Book Brienne would probably have been tactful enough to prevent fighting the Hound and would come to understand his protection was the reason Arya wasn't dead. She may have even been able to convince Sandor to allow her and Pod to join with them, wherever they were traveling.

Indeed, B!Brienne shows no aversion to traveling with others if they can help her cause. She has lengthy journeys and discussions with Meribald and can deal with other rougher characters like Tarly and that other dude I can't recall the name of that gets his head maced in. The only people B!Brienne fights are really despicable BwB peeps, otherwise, she has a way with emotional intelligence just as much as her sword. She displays just as much regard for learning, understanding, and chivalry as she does being warrior.

The reason people are downgrading her show version, at least in this thread, is not out of misogyny, but rather feelings of the opposite. In the show the way she's portrayed as being a strong female character is through being just as good of a fighter as any man. In the books she's portrayed as being just as good of a fighter as men, but also smarter and more tactful than other "sword-prone" characters.

These Brienne comments bother me only because I feel like there is some deep seeded misogyny laced in there, even if it's subconscious. Stannis murders his own family, treats his most loyal friend like absolute crap, and cheats on his wife, yet everyone loves his character. Brienne acts a little sarcastic, and it makes her a bitch. She wins her fights, and it proves that the writers have an agenda. But when The hound kills 5 people at the same time, he's just a badass. It made complete logical sense that he could do that. Ugh...

Stannis murders his own family? He killed his brother that was going to kill him, yes he (particular the series) treats Davos at times like crap which I dont like, yes he sleeps with Mel but so many characters have cheated on their partner it doesnt make it right but to condem a character for cheating on his wife is a bit stupid. Lots of people love his character (including myself) because he is interesting and has certain things I like about him, and what he fights for. I just dont like Brienne, find her chapters boring and just doesnt appeal to me, that does not make me in anyway misogynist

Say.

Just saw an interview with Gemma Whelan at Belfast Film and Comic Con 2014 , finally!, someone asking

her about season 5, she , of course, says she can't say. Only clue was saying she only gets to go

to NI. Expecting to see her in the Stannis story.

Finally indeed!!! :drool:

They really don't!

Lots of folks loved the fight, though I have seen quite a few similar complaints about the way she treated Pod.

I know she already saw Arya but she doesn't know where she went back to. If there was a false lead of some sort they could have her to the BWB and end her story like in AFFC. Or they could make something up entirely or have her do whatever she does in TWOW post-LSH/BWB (assuming she survives that encounter).

I loved the fight, it was one of the best things tjis series.

...Seriously? Misogyny?! :shocked: I don't even know what to say about this, I'm a woman and absolutely love both, Stannis and Brienne, they are two of my favourite characters (#2 and #6), and criticizing Show!Brienne has nothing to do with your said arguments (and it has also nothing to do with Stannis), it's our love to Brienne's personality and traits and behaviour in the books that makes many of us disappointed in her portrayal on the show. As I said, I love that she's also shy, idealistic, stubborn and has a romantic view about chivalry and acts like a true galant knight should act, although she can never really be one. She's one of the nicest, most caring and most loyal persons, like Davos or Sam, and some may call her boring, but I love her "boring" chapters and so on, I love that one might think about her, when you meet her the first time, she's from the outside like Arya, but then she's from the inside like Sansa and I find this very refreshing and way better than a warrior woman who's always super-confident and badass and wins EVERY fight, aso...

I still don't see Stannis in this comparison :dunno:, but your comments about him definitely don't help to support your argument.

Oh, and GeneralKird's answer was very well said and I agree with it!

There's something. The thread about the fight was hilarious.

I love both Stannis and Brienne.

yikes

Say.

Just saw an interview with Gemma Whelan at Belfast Film and Comic Con 2014 , finally!, someone asking

her about season 5, she , of course, says she can't say. Only clue was saying she only gets to go

to NI. Expecting to see her in the Stannis story.

Yesssssss good. Would you mind linking?

Not that anyone expected her to film in Croatia/Spain, so this was to be expected. I guess she might have filmed in Iceland before the battle was relocated.

My guess:

Episode 1-4ish: following a Theon scene where they discuss his sister, we see her returning to Pyke. Her father insults her for running away, and she says she just didn't want to die for Reek or whatever. He tells her that is not the Ironborn way, and that she must always fight to the death. Anyway, he sends her to Deepwood Motte, telling her it's their last stronghold in the North, and that they must be ready to defend it. In the same episode, Balon gets killed by a Faceless Man, thrown off a bridge.

Episode 5-6ish: Stannis holds a war council in the North, and Jon gives him advice- take Deepwood, and Northmen will join you. We could get random reports in Cersei's small council meetings about Greyjoys raiding all across the West coast, led by Euron Greyjoy.

Episode 6-7ish: A short reenactment of the battle of Deepwood Motte, but this time Yara doesn't run away. She fights to the death, and her fate is left ambiguous till the next episode where we see she was captured. There could also be a scene before the fight where Yara gets a letter that says her father died, and that Euron has ascended the Seastone Chair.

Episode 8-10ish: Some fun Stannis-Yara scenes, setup for the battle and then the battle I guess. If there's no fArya, then Theon might not escape Winterfell at all...

So Yara would be in around 4 episodes. That might warrant a bump to main cast.

Sounds good to me. Yeah, I think Gemma deserves main cast membership by now. Her and Stephen Dillane will be great together. I love how GrrM keeps coming up with these odd couples! Besides Tyrion and Jorah, Stannis and Yara is probably my most-anticipated ADWD odd couple meetup. Then of course there are the show only odd couple meetups. Of those Jaime and Doran looks promising. The two of them commiserating about being crippled could make for a great scene.

It's good to get back to s5 spec btw. I imagine there are threads in the s4 section for criticism of certain scenes...

Archived