Season 5 Casting, News and Speculation V 6 [show spoilers]

Seneti

I really dislike show!brienne, if life was good they would kill her off in season 5 but i know there's a 0% chance of that.

I agree with all the comments criticising the portrayal of Brienne, particularly this season (in terms of the writers, not Gwendoline Christie). They seem determined to make her as 'badass' as possible and therefore cliche, whereas in the books she is much more likeable and original. Her behaviour towards Podrick and Hot Pie made her seem not only rude, but also unintelligent, and inconsistent with early in the season when she was appropriately polite and reserved towards the Tyrells and Cersei (which I considered a good portrayal).

I agree with all the comments criticising the portrayal of Brienne, particularly this season (in terms of the writers, not Gwendoline Christie). They seem determined to make her as 'badass' as possible and therefore cliche, whereas in the books she is much more likeable and original. Her behaviour towards Podrick and Hot Pie made her seem not only rude, but also unintelligent, and inconsistent with early in the season when she was appropriately polite and reserved towards the Tyrells and Cersei (which I considered a good portrayal).

I found it made her look like she was nice and polite to other very high nobles, or actually higher (FORMER Queen Regent, new Queen, new Queen's grandma, ...), but then rude to "lower" persons (her squire, simple cook boy). I mean, okay, they are young boys and she's a grown-up lady, but that's just not the way how she treats Pod in the books or other common smallfolk like Hot Pie.

Hopefully...

... Hopefully not.

Edit: Or do you still think of Davos traveling to find Rickon? Just delayed?

But they can't delay things about the Northern storyline from ADWD till S7! S6 miiight be possible (highly unlikely IMO, if the BoW is in Season 5), but 7 - no way.

Well...

If Rickon is only back in season seven then maybe Davos, "the north remembers" and Frey pies are not until season six. This could mean a restructure and slowing down in the northern storylines.

That would be 3 Seasons without Rickon (4, 5, 6). That's too long I think.

He's been absent for three books already!

I found it made her look like she was nice and polite to other very high nobles, or actually higher (FORMER Queen Regent, new Queen, new Queen's grandma, ...), but then rude to "lower" persons (her squire, simple cook boy). I mean, okay, they are young boys and she's a grown-up lady, but that's just not the way how she treats Pod in the books or other common smallfolk like Hot Pie.

Cutting off Hot Pie while he's giving useful information about the Stark girls.....when she's on a quest for the Stark girls...is Just Plain Stupid. But then Show Brienne has gotten progressively dumber as time goes on....culminating with her throw down with the Hound, resulting in loss of Arya Stark.

Well...

If Rickon is only back in season seven then maybe Davos, "the north remembers" and Frey pies are not until season six. This could mean a restructure and slowing down in the northern storylines.

Hmh, it's really hard to predict how everything and all fractions should/will fit together, both, in the books as well as on the show; Boltons/Freys/Manderlys/other Northern lords & Stannis/Asha/Theon/fArya/Stannis' army & All at the Wall & Davos/Rickon/Osha/Shaggydog, and some other factors, too (Bran and Bloodraven, the Others, the Winter, aso... Howland Reed?!), but much depends on the BoW, I think, and if it's in S5 or S6, and of course its outcome.

At this point, I'm just gonna go with "Rickon died in a tragic boat accident crossing over to Skagos and was never seen or heard from again. Much like his uncle, Benjen Stark. And their friend, Howland Reed."

....Rickon...

Mentioned in Dance, both Rickon and Osha.

Actually plays kind of role off screen ...Manderly makes a deal with Davos that if he recovers Rickon

he, Manderly, will swear allegiance to Stannis.

Also, I may be wrong on this, seems Wex showed up in season 2, tho lord they would have to explain

that Wex survived the taking of Winterfell. If Davos can get him back to Stannis sure would help

consolidate more arcs.

I think most likely the show will be 7 seasons but the last season will be extended and split. So the season will be like 16ish episodes and be split into two 8 episode mini seasons.

Also i'm not sure why some of you guys think D&D don't know that much about book 6 and 7. They probably know almost everything, just as much as GRRM knows.

What they should have done with Brienne in KL.

Instead of the scene with her talking with Jaime about Sansa, and her pointless talking scene with Margaery. There should have been a scene of her trying to approach Sansa in the garden. She gets stopped by the guards, who tells here that the Queen Regent has orders that she not allowed to be near Sansa, Brienne will insist and they almost come to blows and Jaime shows up and tell the guards to stand down and pulls Brienne aside and tells her that she is not going to be able to kill all the guards in KL, that she's going to have to come up with a different plan, implying with his tone that he may help her.

That would have done some much more for her character, and Jaime's.

It's not that the TV show is an adaptation with chages from the books that bothers me, it's that in many places the adaptations were simply not well executed.

By contrast, GoT is HBO's most watched show ever. They aren't going to cancel it - if anything, HBO would push for more seasons, the way that ABC wanted 10+ seasons of Lost during season 3, and Lindelof and Cuse had to convince the network to let them set the end date because the show could not run forever. GoT is set to last only 7 seasons because D&D want it so.

It's not the same, becase ABC probably imagined at that point they could kill and replace actors all the time on that show. The 7 season "limit" is because that's how long you can contract actors, and going beyond that would mean massive pay raises for the main characters. Imagine if you had to handle pay raises for several dozen actors--just the regulars and recurring characters.

Right now the regulars make from $30,000 an episode (base) to $150,000 an episode (Peter and Lena). Now imagine if you had to quadruple that for every single regular, and triple what you had to pay every recurring actor. It would be an incredibly expensive mess even if nobody held out for more than that. Which, of course, some would.

What they should have done with Brienne in KL.

Instead of the scene with her talking with Jaime about Sansa, and her pointless talking scene with Margaery. There should have been a scene of her trying to approach Sansa in the garden. She gets stopped by the guards, who tells here that the Queen Regent has orders that she not allowed to be near Sansa, Brienne will insist and they almost come to blows and Jaime shows up and tell the guards to stand down and pulls Brienne aside and tells her that she is not going to be able to kill all the guards in KL, that she's going to have to come up with a different plan, implying with his tone that he may help her.

That would have done some much more for her character, and Jaime's.

It's not that the TV show is an adaptation with chages from the books that bothers me, it's that in many places the adaptations were simply not well executed.

:agree:

:agree:

And you know why that scene would have worked even better? Because it would have set up the Brienne/Hound fight in episode 10. Here she is in episode 1 trying to help Sansa, only to be stopped by Lannister guards and she backs down, and loses her chance to rescue Sansa because she soon disappears. Now she finds Arya, and another armed man with a history of being a Lannister henchmen is standing between her and a Stark girl, and this time she won't back down again.

Now she doesn't come across as a jerk to get into the fight with the Hound.

One more thing pointing to Brienne being involved in Sansa's story next season is that the writers bothered to keep Sansa and Brienne apart in King's Landing, when that wasn't actually necessary for season 4, since Sansa had no role in her own escape, so there was never an issue of her choosing Dontos over Brienne, as she had no choice at all.

It's not the same, becase ABC probably imagined at that point they could kill and replace actors all the time on that show. The 7 season "limit" is because that's how long you can contract actors, and going beyond that would mean massive pay raises for the main characters. Imagine if you had to handle pay raises for several dozen actors--just the regulars and recurring characters.

Right now the regulars make from $30,000 an episode (base) to $150,000 an episode (Peter and Lena). Now imagine if you had to quadruple that for every single regular, and triple what you had to pay every recurring actor. It would be an incredibly expensive mess even if nobody held out for more than that. Which, of course, some would.

I wonder if doing an extended seventh season split into two can work within the seven season limit

her storyline was beyond awful last year, the fight scene with the hound scene was just embarrassing (the camera angles/cuts were soooooo bad), the scene with Cersei was daytime soap opera level of cheesiness, her being ~sassy~ to pod wasn't funny, it was rude and annoying.

Hell I was actually rooting for Sandor during the fight scene, and I FUCKING HATE HIM.

who are your favorite characters ?

Archived