[TWOIAF SPOILERS] what was in Prince Nymor's letter to Aegon the Conqueror?

For the last time...He didnt "cut" his hand..it bled from him clutching it so hard. That's how the passage is written, that's how it should be read and understood.

For the first and only time, it makes no matter, especially to the point I was trying to make, which is that he was upset, weather he cut himself or he clutched his hand makes little matter, Its about the reaction.

You didn't need to quote the entire post ether only to reply to a single sentence.

For the first and only time, it makes no matter, especially to the point I was trying to make, which is that he was upset, weather he cut himself or he clutched his hand makes little matter, Its about the reaction.

You didn't need to quote the entire post ether only to reply to a single sentence.

Exactly: his reaction is what's important, and he didnt accidentally cut his hand there's a HUGE difference between clutching something sharp and it cutting u (which takes about 1 sec) versus how long and hard you would have to continually squeeze your hand to make blood vessels burst...huge difference. prolonged anger to the point of being numbed to pain vs. a quick spurn of thine self.

Aegon went into a trance of anger for a prolonged time. The point being he was confounded possibly overwhelmed by the info, not just a flash of anger.

What do we know of poison in TWOIAF? Are there any known poisons that would cause immediate bleeding on contact? If the letter was poisoned that would explain a lot, maybe?

Poison? very doubtful. Sorry. That just wouldn't work logically. I know the argument being that only Dorne could supply him with the antidote dosage once every so often, but Aegon would have too many options of removing the poison himself. Leeching is an option, but maybe leeching wouldn't be able to remove enough poison in which case he probably had access to almost all the Maesters of westeros and would somehow be able to acquire the antidote, but maybe not in time.

So was he poisoned? In my opinion,probably not, blood magic though...that would be more binding.

Poison? very doubtful. Sorry. That just wouldn't work logically. I know the argument being that only Dorne could supply him with the antidote dosage once every so often, but Aegon would have too many options of removing the poison himself. Leeching is an option, but maybe leeching wouldn't be able to remove enough poison in which case he probably had access to almost all the Maesters of westeros and would somehow be able to acquire the antidote, but maybe not in time.

So was he poisoned? In my opinion,probably not, blood magic though...that would be more binding.

Is it possible Aegon deliberately cut himself on the Iron Throne to distract himself from a greater pain?

Is it possible Aegon deliberately cut himself on the Iron Throne to distract himself from a greater pain?

Is it possible? sure. But it's not in the text. There's an endless amount of possibilities. As a writer if you want your readers to consider a specific possibility you at least drop a clue in the text.

But he didn't, so he prob wants this to remain a complete mystery.

• 2 weeks later...

Rhaenys seems the most likely, but given what we know about the Dornish love of poison, I had a crackpot theory form almost instantly. Maybe the bleeding hand was a symptom of a contact toxin the Dornish had been working on, and Aegon had to fly off to get an antidote Nymor promised. It may have been something he would need to take the rest of his life, and they would give it to him if he gave them peace. Just my riduculous idea.

I thougt about this myself and it semes plasublie.

I do believe that it had something to do with Rhaenys.

OK, let us analyze this rationally

Rhaenys surviving the fall

How likely is this? The book says that both dragon and the rider ``fell from the sky``. They probably flew above the highest point of the castle, but within the range to unleash dragonflame when they were brought down by scorpion bolt.

When dragon fell she destroyed part of wall and castle highest tower (this was probably the point above which they flew). Meraxes was also second largest Targ dragon, able to swallow the whole horse.

I find it unlikely that Rhaenys survived such fall, presumably while wearing full armor, and death throes of the second largest dragon that destroyed part of the castle and a whole tower.

Meraxes was within close enough range for a scorpion. It is possible Rhaenys could have survived the fall, but died from injuries a while afterwards.

The Letter

These were peace negotiations between two sides that were both fed up with war, neither holding a distinct advantage over the other. So more or less on equal footing.

However lords of seven kingdoms demanded from Aegon, who was in favor of peace himself, that there be no peace without submission, because of sacrifices they had made for his cause.

As a token of good will Dornish brought the head of Meraxes, but not the bones of the queen. Why?

Well there is a simple rule to diplomacy (and bargining in general) `demand more to receive less, and offer less than you’re prepared to give`. Therefore, knowing their relation, Rhenys bones were the Dornish trump card, rather than simple act of good faith, ultimate barging chip that they saved for last.

The letter perhaps wasn’t intended to be private, at first, but because the lords were so unhappy about the possibility of peace without submission, and may view the Kings willingness to accept the bones of his sister in exchange for good terms as betraying them, the letter was given to Aegon personally, and understanding the situation, Aegon burned it after reading.

IMO letter contained an final act of good faith and sincere plead to end the war that caused so much pain on both sides rather than a threat.

It is by far a much more diplomatic solution.

The bones were perhaps shipped secretly to or near Dragonstone (it would not be vise if Dornish brought them to Kings Landing ,even in secret if they wanted to use them for bargaining with Aegon), and Aegon went in person to collect them, not arousing his lords who could not have blamed him for anything since they had no knowledge what was in the letter.

Also clutching the Iron Throne and cutting his hand was probably symptom of grief and strong emotion rather than anger. I don’t think that he would have any reason to hide his anger. Years of Dragons Wroth were in response to Rhaenys death, and I don’t think that telling Aegon that his beloved wife and sister was being tortured and mutilated for years, and whom he held for dead for years anyway, would achieve anything more than additional retaliation.

However he had every reason to hide his tears.

Nor was Aegon a man who horribly enjoyed violence, he always inflicted the exact amount of violence on his enemys needed to subdue them and then accepted fealty. Years of Dragon Wroth are obvious exception, but this was more emotional than rational response. And so was the signing of the pace.

I agree that his reaction from the letter wasn't anger, but more sadness. I think there is a clearer reason why Rhaenys's body isn't mentioned as being returned. It was for the same reason Rhaegar's body was never returned: Targaryens cremate their dead. It could be Rhaenys asked to be cremated for her burial, and for her ashes to be sent to Dragonstone.

I think the letter was likely from Rhaenys, I think that is what provoked the emotional reaction. I think she survived the fall from Meraxes, badly battered, and they took her to bed with a maester to attend to her. However, her health continued to deteriorate and she eventually died, but one of her last requests was to write a letter to be given to Aegon. They didn't get an opportunity to give it to him up to that point.

I agree that his reaction from the letter wasn't anger, but more sadness. I think there is a clearer reason why Rhaenys's bones aren't mentioned as being returned. It was for the same reason Rhaegar's bones were never returned: Targaryens cremate their dead. It could be Rhaenys asked to be cremated for her burial, and for her ashes to be sent to Dragonstone.

It's not that the bones aren't mentioned as being returned, the book actually says "Queen Rhaenys’s body was never returned to King’s Landing." I think it's unlikely Yandel would have written that if he was aware she was cremated and her ashes returned to Dragonstone.

I think the letter was likely from Rhaenys, I think that is what provoked the emotional reaction. I think she survived the fall from Meraxes, badly battered, and they took her to bed with a maester to attend to her. However, her health continued to deteriorate and she eventually died, but one of her last requests was to write a letter to be given to Aegon. They didn't get an opportunity to give it to him up to that point.

I didn't think of this, and I like it! I've gone thought/fealt what everyone else has already mentioned here. I like this the best out of all of them. It's very plausible it was her last words and her suing for peace, in return they gave him her bones, though not mentioned.

I buy that Rhaenys survived but what sends Aegon back to Dragonstone for a brief visit? My guess is that the Dornish obtained some information that Aegon felt compelled to personally verify. Perhaps Rhaenys gave up the location of dragon eggs on Dragonstone or some other prized heirloom. The grand conspiritor in me wants to believe that this is tied to Summerhall or some some other subsquent important event - they could be the eggs that ultimately fall into Dany's possession in AGOT. With another author I would be more inclined to believe that sort of chain of events could happen, it's less likely with Martin but it's fun to speculate.

• 3 months later...

My theory is one which assumes the least number of unexpected twists and that all information revealed is significant.

1) Rhaenys was alive when she fell off Meraxes, but crippled. The Ullers did torture her, but in ways which the Martells could later attribute to the fall.

2) The Martells knew that she was alive, and took her into their custody. Meria and Nymor argue over how best to deal with her. Meria was proposing harsh treatment, but Nymor reminded his mother that the queen is already assumed to be dead by the Iron Throne. They should try to make her survival useful for Sunspear.

3) Rhaenys received treatment and lived, somewhat. But, the loss of her dragon, physical capabilities and/or beauty greatly depressed her, and convinced her that she was more useful to the Iron Throne dead as a martyr, rather than alive as a crippled shadow of her former self. Meanwhile, the Dragon's Wroth tore through Dorne.

4) By the time Meria died, Rhaeny's condition had weakened to the point where she could die at any time. Nymor then dispatched Deria to King's Landing for a peace deal. The letter told Aegon to return to Dragonstone to see Rhaenys, and be quick about it due to her broken body. Meanwhile, Deria/Nymor arranged for a ship to transport Rhaenys to Dragonstone, timed so that when Aegon reached Dragonstone, the ship would reach Dragonstone soon after. The Martells were sure that Aegon would fly to his island fortress.

5) After Aegon reached Dragonstone, a Sunspear ship arrived. Aegon allowed the ship to be anchored and the garrison was sworn to secrey whatever they hear or saw on the day.

6) Aegon spent the rest of the day with Rhaenys, who then died on Dragonstone. Touched/impressed by this gesture, the Dragon then signed the peace accord the next day, and honored it to the end of his reign.

I did a thread about this last month, coming from the angle of the Ullers potentially being black sorcerers and using Rhaeny’s “queens blood” and / or the dragon blood to perform some kind of dark blood magic, perhaps having to do with Aenys or Maegor. Its possible we came up with a couple things that did not come up on this thread, if anyone is interested.

Rhaenys went to Hell: the Dornish Letter Mystery

Has this been suggested yet? The letter stated that Rhaenys' remains would be brought to Dragonstone. Upon his arrival at Dragonstone, Aegon could finally say goodbye to the woman he loved deeply, and used Balerion to cremate her, scattering her ashes on the island, or perhaps in the ocean from dragonsback (as she had loved to fly).

Has this been suggested yet? The letter stated that Rhaenys' remains would be brought to Dragonstone. Upon his arrival at Dragonstone, Aegon could finally say goodbye to the woman he loved deeply, and used Balerion to cremate her, scattering her ashes on the island, or perhaps in the ocean from dragonsback (as she had loved to fly).

The main problem is : why would Aegon keep this a secret? Unless he's ashamed of letting the realm know that he's soft enough to exchange a peace treaty with unfavorable terms just for a woman's remains.

The main problem is : why would Aegon keep this a secret? Unless he's ashamed of letting the realm know that he's soft enough to exchange a peace treaty with unfavorable terms just for a woman's remains.

I doubt that the rest of the lords would have agreed over such a peace, after losing so many men.... So that could have been it.

Archived