[NO SPOILERS] What has the TV show done better than the books?

ecliptica

His voice is amazing alright!

He needs to do audio books!

I had chills watching that episode- that was probably the most fun I've had watching tv ever. It felt like I was watching LOTR all over again for the first time...breathtaking. I never knew they could do that on tv with a tv budget, but they managed it. So I know exactly how you feel :)

*takes a deep breath* You are going to get me to fangirl (or boy, in my case) over 409. I believe that I mentioned in this thread 409 is the most rewatchable GOT episode, and I meant that. The first time I watched it I was like "Oh, no climax and only the Wall. Meh." After rewatching it I have only grown to love it more and more. What were the great things in it?

-Sam looking for loopholes in the Night's Watch oath

-the owl

-Styr standing up and towering over Ygritte and Ygritte not flinching (ginger minge deserves a shout out)

-Sam and Aemon, why can't Aemon just rule the world?

-"Pyp, open the fucking gate!"

-horn

-the music, oh, gods, the music!

-when the wildlings come out of the woods, first you see a hairy foot and you're like "Is that a giant?" and then you see the mammoth and you are like "This shit is on!"

-pretty much everything Ser Alliser says and does, he is a prick but you wouldn't mind following him into battle

-the stewards, throwing boiling water on someone, having a huge cleaver, it was a small but surprisingly cool moment

-Sam kissing Gilly

-Sam in general actually

-archers tied to rope hanging off the Wall

-giant archers

-Ser Alliser vs Tormund

-Tormund in general (bear story, going into berserker mode, "This is how a man ends!" precedes to kill no one, the beard)

-Grenn convincing Slyt to fuck off (and his beard, gotta appreciate a nice beard, Grenn's that is)

-holding the gate, obviously

-Jon being all "I could wait until this elevator stops but then I wouldn't get to do this super cool jump off of it, cue music please"

-360 shot of the fight at Castle Black

-Ghost, for the brief moment we saw him

-the short but incredible Jon vs Styr fight

-Ygritte dodging an arrow before firing back, picking up spent arrows and using them, being Rose Leslie, did I mention that I miss Ygritte?

-THE SCYTHE THE SCYTHE THE SCYTHE

-"It's a bad plan. What is your plan?" a surprisingly good line

I feel like I am missing stuff, but 409 was great! I was disappointed when I saw the reviews for the episode. I love the politics, but sometimes it is fun just to enjoy some carnage.

He needs to do audio books!

*takes a deep breath* You are going to get me to fangirl (or boy, in my case) over 409. I believe that I mentioned in this thread 409 is the most rewatchable GOT episode, and I meant that. The first time I watched it I was like "Oh, no climax and only the Wall. Meh." After rewatching it I have only grown to love it more and more. What were the great things in it?

-Sam looking for loopholes in the Night's Watch oath

-the owl

-Styr standing up and towering over Ygritte and Ygritte not flinching (ginger minge deserves a shout out)

-Sam and Aemon, why can't Aemon just rule the world?

-"Pyp, open the fucking gate!"

-horn

-the music, oh, gods, the music!

-when the wildlings come out of the woods, first you see a hairy foot and you're like "Is that a giant?" and then you see the mammoth and you are like "This shit is on!"

-pretty much everything Ser Alliser says and does, he is a prick but you wouldn't mind following him into battle

-the stewards, throwing boiling water on someone, having a huge cleaver, it was a small but surprisingly cool moment

-Sam kissing Gilly

-Sam in general actually

-archers tied to rope hanging off the Wall

-giant archers

-Ser Alliser vs Tormund

-Tormund in general (bear story, going into berserker mode, "This is how a man ends!" precedes to kill no one, the beard)

-Grenn convincing Slyt to fuck off (and his beard, gotta appreciate a nice beard, Grenn's that is)

-holding the gate, obviously

-Jon being all "I could wait until this elevator stops but then I wouldn't get to do this super cool jump off of it, cue music please"

-360 shot of the fight at Castle Black

-Ghost, for the brief moment we saw him

-the short but incredible Jon vs Styr fight

-Ygritte dodging an arrow before firing back, picking up spent arrows and using them, being Rose Leslie, did I mention that I miss Ygritte?

-THE SCYTHE THE SCYTHE THE SCYTHE

-"It's a bad plan. What is your plan?" a surprisingly good line

I feel like I am missing stuff, but 409 was great! I was disappointed when I saw the reviews for the episode. I love the politics, but sometimes it is fun just to enjoy some carnage.

I pretty much agree with everything you said ^^

And I definitely agree about the carnage...we get a lot of talking about build-up- it's nice to see all-out action every now and then.

Some of the actors (Charles Dance in particular) made their characters better than they came across in the books. Varys is another character that Conlith Hill makes very enjoyable on television. Same with Richard Madden as Robb Stark. Some of the "new" scenes that weren't in the books are also great (think Tywin / Jamie's conversation over the stag in Season 1). Gotta give it to HBO's prop dept also for the great costumes that bring everything to life.

Of course there are some disappointments too (the Reek rescue attempt, yes this was awful). Roz's storyline also was frustrating as it took time away from a lot more interesting plot lines.

I liked Tywin, Walder Frey, Eddard Star, Roose, and Robb in the show better than the Books.

I like the appearance of Stannis better in the show than the books actually. Other than that, book Stannis is awesome everywhere else.

Overall, I like how some younger characters in the books are older in the show (Robb and Jon in particular).

The story of the battle of Blackwater Bay was much better and made more sense in the show.

I also preferred the story of the house of the undying in the show to the way it was written in the book.

As offensive as it was (but then that was the point), the dwarf show at Joffrey's wedding was better on tv than in the book.

• 2 weeks later...

- Some Arya and Sandor scenes, though the "fuck the king" and the chicken jokes got old pretty fast IMO.

- Bronn in general.

- Not the best of all time, but show's Sam has more personality than in the books.

- The Battle of the Wall wasn't GoaT too but I really liked it, at least Throne acted rationally instead of trying to kill everyone for pettiness, I find weird some of the episode's criticism, it's like people wanted Helm's deep.

- Tywin's extra scenes, the stag skinning, his talks with Jaime and Olenna.

- Some Arya and Sandor scenes, though the "fuck the king" and the chicken jokes got old pretty fast IMO.

- Bronn in general.

- Not the best of all time, but show's Sam has more personality than in the books.

- The Battle of the Wall wasn't GoaT too but I really liked it, at least Throne acted rationally instead of trying to kill everyone for pettiness, I find weird some of the episode's criticism, it's like people wanted Helm's deep.

- Tywin's extra scenes, the stag skinning, his talks with Jaime and Olenna.

Personally, Watchers on the wall was my favorite episode of the series.

There are numerous things that I like better on the show than in the books; these come to mind first:

- Arya being cupbearer to Tywin simply because it showed a more gentle side of Tywin that we never get to see in the books; also, the danger of being discovered when Littlefinger shows up at Harrenhal - I really liked that a lot.

- Theon being baptised before going on the raid because it really cemented his commitment to his family and the choice he had made; also, Theon writing a letter to Robb in order to warn him and burning it - another great way of making his choice very clear because you can't have inner dialogue on a tv show

- shortened travelogues simply because they are really tiresome to read; I think they did just the right amount of cutting there

- the relationship between Tyrion and Jaime; it's clear from the books that they like or even love each other (I think that at one point Tyrion states that he knows what it's like to love a brother), but it's made so much clearer on the show, from season 1 onward. Love it.

- Oberyn. I loved the guy in the book but Pedro Pascal gives "awesome" a totally new meaning. Now I adore Oberyn (and Pedro, of course).

- more screentime for Bronn and basically handing him tasks that in the books were assigned to other people, like making him Commander of the City Guard or replacing Ilyn Payne as Jaime's Trainer - it's hilarious, I mean, can you imagine Ilyn Payne smacking Jaime with his own golden hand? :)

- Ygritte - a lot better than in the books thanks to Rose Leslie

- the scene with Cersei and Robert in S1 in which they reflect upon their marriage and are having a laugh

Bronn, Podrick, Margaery, I like them all more in the show. Shae's redesign and the dynamic between her, Sansa, and Tyrion was more compelling than Tyrion/Shae in the books, but getting from there to the endgame of Shae testifying was clumsily handled.

I adore Shireen in both canons but she's definitely better in the show.

Varys and Littlefinger's verbal dueling is a thing of utter beauty. The Cersei/Robert scene on their marriage was too, and I enjoyed Loras playing Lady Macbeth to Renly.

Cutting down Greyjoys who aren't Theon or Asha/Yara. This one is entirely personal because I really don't like Aeron or Victarion as POVs, and have little interest in the Iron Islands period. Victarion in Dany's storyline could become tolerable from the outside viewer POV. Which would still be an improvement.

And, this one will probably get me in trouble, but Tyrion's Blackwater speech was slightly streamlined and I found it more powerful. I like Blackwater and the Battle at the Wall better in general too, but battles tend to be better in visual mediums anyway.

Off the top of my head.

1. Arya and Tywin, and Arya/The Hound.

2. The streamlining of Edric and Gendry, and the scenes Davos had with Gendry.

3. Davos's sons all being merged into one. Makes the fact that he lost everything at the Blackwater and still stands for Stannis more resonant.

4. Grenn taking the place of Donal Noye. It made the scene in the tunnel more impactful for me, and it added some great gravitas to the moment. "Grenn came from a farm." Hell yes he did.

5. Roose Bolton being less Count Dracula and more of a northern counterpart to Tywin in demeanor and even appearance.

Archived