Road trip tips

Underfoot

Those are some spectacular photos...glad to see that you had fun! :cheers:

Great pictures, thanks for sharing!

I have never been to the Grand Canyon and I should be ashamed of myself for that.

Love the photos. Thank you for posting them.

Thanks guys! SJohn, you should be ashamed--Aren't you some sort of geology/geography type person, and you've lived in the general area of the Grand Canyon? It's is a must-see! Really breathtaking in person.

Thanks guys! SJohn, you should be ashamed--Aren't you some sort of geology/geography type person, and you've lived in the general area of the Grand Canyon? It's is a must-see! Really breathtaking in person.

Haha, yes I suppose I am a geology/geography type person but I come from the eastern US. I live in Texas now, but its still a pretty good haul from Austin to the Grand Canyon. I might finally get there this summer, but we'll see.

Thanks BLU-RAY! Amazingly, they were all taken with my smartphone.

Haha, yes I suppose I am a geology/geography type person but I come from the eastern US. I live in Texas now, but its still a pretty good haul from Austin to the Grand Canyon. I might finally get there this summer, but we'll see.

Pshh, a 16-17 hour drive is nothing! I hope you do though--it was a great experience! If you do get a chance, I'd definitely recommend getting off-trail as much as is safely possible; you have more fun that way and are less likely to run into other people.

I'm a graduating this spring with a B.S. in Geoscience and will be looking for a job, so if you have any job search tips for this particular field, please feel free to PM me, I need all the advice I can get!

I think you will be fine in a mid-size. Just having an SUV doesn't make someone better at snow driving or mountain driving. Lots of people who drive truck's or suv's overestimate their ability or the ability of thier vehicle and find themselves in a ditch anyway. Slippery is slippery no matter what you are driving.

Agreed.

Random Tip of the Day: AWD / 4WD are overrated, and the best bang for your buck for winter driving are actually winter tires. Around here, tons of people buy AWD/4WD vehicles but maybe half buy winter tires. Having an AWD or 4WD is great, but without those tires, there isn't really a point IMO. The problem is that when driving on ice or through snow, you need traction to start moving. AWD and 4WD provide their owners the traction that they need to start moving quickly, which is good, but they don't provide them with the ability to stop quickly on surfaces with little traction. You need proper tires to do that. AWD/4WD also don't help you gain traction while turning. You also need proper tires to do that. If you hit a patch of ice in a AWD/4WD without proper tires, and start hydroplaning, you are basically fucked. On many 4WD/AWD systems, the engine sends all available power to all wheels with no limits, so once one wheel slips, it will start to spin faster than the other wheels, causing you to slip further and further and further.

For instance, I drive a 4WD pickup truck and if we get an early snowfall before I put on winter tires, there are times when trying to stop can be rather frightening. The 4WD on the slippery ground doesn't provide any extra traction over a 2WD for stopping and once you combine that with the weight of the vehicle, you would be lucky to have a stopping distance of less than a hundred feet.

They are great features but also potentially dangerous features as they instill false confidence in drivers because they can quickly gain traction with little to no momentum.

Lesson? Buy winter tires.

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping this rather than start a new thread - anyone ever camped near Yosemite?

I'm going to be passing through there in May for two days which will fall on a weekend and, of course, all of the campsites in the park were already booked when I thought to check last week. There seems to be a lot of campsites in the national forest surrounding the park and I thought someone around here might have some advice or a recommendation.

Bumping this rather than start a new thread - anyone ever camped near Yosemite?

I'm going to be passing through there in May for two days which will fall on a weekend and, of course, all of the campsites in the park were already booked when I thought to check last week. There seems to be a lot of campsites in the national forest surrounding the park and I thought someone around here might have some advice or a recommendation.

Did you check the backpacker's campgrounds at Yosemite? The Hetch Hetchy backpacker's campground is right next to the parking lot and it looks like you just need a wilderness permit and your own tent. You should still be able to reserve a permit for one of the trailheads.

Archived