You're the female heir to the IT, what do you do?

TheWitch

Having children is a serious strength though. Daughters can be married of making further alliances, or sent to Motherhouses to seem more pious. Having sons will make people think you do have a right too rule beacuse you can produce a male heir. Having a male heir shows that you're not trying to change the system. Also, having a son become a knight is great propaganda for your reign.

I call my plan: "Nothing Green Shall Grow".

Before father dies, I make sure that any rival male claimants end up sent to the Wall. Nephews, step-brothers, whatever.

If father ever had a new wife that is not my own mother, then I make sure that nobody from her family holds any position of power at the royal court. No small council, no kingsguard, not even the royal chef.

Speaking of the kingsguard, I constantly test their loyalty to me / to my father's intentions, and make sure that whatever relationship issues they may have, none involve me. Anyone substandard will have the honour of serving in the Night's Watch.

I shall be hand of the King first, and use that to dispense patronage to select lords who are undoubtedly on my side, and subtle punishment to those who are not.

My favourite person on the Small Council will be the Master of Whispers. I want to know everyone's stance on my succession, as well as the dirty secrets of any who come calling me as suitors.

I shall prepare the way socially by having some Dornish women and Bear Island women as courtiers.

I will keep the Small Council busy, sending them out to meey with major lords, and deal with the actual problems of the realm. They will serve short terms in office, but understand that from the begining. I will cultivate an atmosphere where I am the one the lords think of as my father's true heir.

I will not show weakness, but I'm not going to go around being pointlessly cruel. Respect will be met with respect, justice will fall firmly but fairly upon those who transgress against the crown.

Eventually I must marry and breed, of course, but I will choose someone who is honourable, brave, and has no intentions of ruling himself.

First, I investigate the magic that took my man bits and gave me a uterus.

Poison all of my potential rivals. Always a good idea.

I'd hurry up and hatch some dragons.

All of these things. Then I would definitely make sure I was in King's Landing ready to be crowned the moment my good ole daddy kicks the bucket.

I'd also have some kids with someone I fancy to ensure further succession.

Insist my beloved father appoints me his Hand of the King immediately. That way the nobles of the realm can get used to me wielding real power while he is still alive and the undisputed authority, and it also gives me an opportunity to find out whether I want to rule, how I want to do it, and practice in controlled environment.

In time, and after spending sufficient time and effort figuring out who the other powerful opponents were and understanding the political situation at the court, I would slowly start to replace the people in key positions with people who have a reason to be loyal to me personally (perhaps for honours and benefits I accorded them due to my position as the Hand). Once my position in KL is reasonably secure, I would make sure I do not confine myself to there and would occasionally take some time to travel the realm to get to know the people, both common and noble.

I would surround myself with ladies-in-waiting from powerful families and cultivate their friendships if I can. This increases my prestige and it makes it much more difficult for my potential rivals to marry them to secure an alliance without my knowledge/consent. If all else fails, they at least make for useful hostages. I would also get my own retinue of knights etc and generally run my own household. I would work extremely hard to secure the loyalty of my own bannermen and try to increase their holdings and power.

I would do nothing that would tarnish my reputation in any way, shape or form. I would marry if I can find a suitable match - someone with charm and decent military background, who does not presume to rule me and find him sufficient employment so he does not feel left out. Someone from Dorne might be a good choice. I would give him an heir and a spare, and devote enough attention and resources to make them suitable to the task. I would actively try to plant a paramour in my father's bed, that has no hope of ever being a political threat, so that he doesn't father any more trueborn children (Or any children. She should drink her Moon Tea).

Conquer and rule when it comes to the Great Houses. I will try to set them against each other enough to prevent a grand alliance forming against me.

It depends. Will I want to rule? If I intend to rule, a marriage will always take that away from me. So this:

Drink, party and whore. The realm will rally around a woman with a man's appetites. Good enough for Bobby B, good enough for me.

Select a cousin as heir apparent, don't ever bother with true born children. If anything, it does keep every House anxious until I hit 40 years old or something as there is always the chance of me marrying and mothering (?) true born heirs, but that isn't happening anyways.

Or I just give up attempting to rule against so many odds, select someone who would look like a good King, marry him and retire to live a life full of luxuries and devoid of preoccupations.

Not as absurd as one might think.

A simple plan

Pick the biggest motherfucker on the continent

Make an example of what happens to those who do not kneel.

Silly. This ain't prison. If your army is strong enough to bully your vassals, they'll know. No need to rile them up by attacking them for no reason. And if your army is not strong enough to deal with the vassals you've pissed... Your're Aerys.

So best case scenario with that plan you rule a kingdom dimished by a needlessly costly war and in turmoil because nobody trusts the king/Queen. Worst case you lose and get killed. Talk about lose-lose...

I'd be interviewing suitors like crazy. Honestly, I'd just be looking for someone who would not treat me like a piece of property. If this was pre-series start, Tyrion Lannister would be a good choice I think. Ties to a major house, highly intelligent, a capable partner, and I'd have the protection of his father. If not Tyrion I'd likely be looking at Starks, though aside from Eddard I cannot think of any that would really be suitable (Rob is far too naiive and Jon to hard headed imo). I'd be very careful to weed out people like Baelish who are likely to arrange an "accident" for me as soon as I'd ascended the throne. Willas Tyrell would be another good one, and if I had enough clout to make it happen I'd consider Sandor Clegane, because he's just freaking awesome, but I don't think it would work as he's too minor a house. I wouldn't consider Rhaegar because he can't keep it in his pants (poor Elia).

Yeah, the more I think about it my plan would be:

1) Marry Tyrion Lannister.

2) Pop out some kids.

3) Enjoy the protection of House Lannister and the knowledge that my kids are going to have a very secure position.

Yeah, the more I think about it my plan would be:

1) Marry Tyrion Lannister.

2) Pop out some kids.

3) Enjoy the protection of House Lannister and the knowledge that my kids are going to have a very secure position.

Everyone from The Arbor to The Wall would make fun of you and your rule if you did that. And nobody would accept the demon monkey's kids as heir apparents.

Way to erode any chance you had at a lasting rule.

1. Be named to my father's Small Council, maybe as Mistress of Coin to develop a strong background with the crown's finances
2. Eventually be promoted by my father to be Hand of the King. Cultivate ambitious but morally sound friends.
3. Upon my ascension name a trusted advisory of my father's as Hand (preferably someone older), then tour the realm for a year or so so consolidate relationships with the various Lords Paramount.

Of note, these are the same steps I would take as a male heir too, but here's where it differs;

4. If I have any siblings and/or nephews, I would spend a few years working with them and developing the one with the best potential, then name them as my heir. Simply put, I wouldn't marry as that would be inviting someone else (and their family) to try and take power.
4b. If I have no siblings, I would arrange several marriages between the various LPs and name a pair of them to be my successors, with their eventual child being the product of 4 Great Houses and a good heir to the throne.

In either of these scenarios the naming of a successor who displays the most worthy attributes serves as quality assurance, and in the case of 4b ties a good portion of the realm to my dynasty's continuance.

5. Establish more uniform laws throughout Westeros, modernize farming techniques, and establish a reasonably aggressive foreign policy that allows the more ambitious lords a way to expand their power that doesn't directly threaten me, and use the campaigns to create a more regularly standing/experienced royalist force. Use the Night's Watch to dispose of lordly enemies so as to restore that organizations prestige.

6. Profit.

Archived