:0 I dislike the Starks :0

Onime

::sigh::

Why?

Very simple, my dear Watson. Saying "I hate Starks, I like Tywin" is supposed to be a sure way to ignite a flame. He could've also thrown in some Greyjoys for a good measure. He was shrewd enough not to say Ramsay, everybody would immediately see through that. Anyway, ladies and gentlemen, enjoy the bait.

I've always been very cynical. To do stupid things just because they're honorable would hurt me. :D

Like stand in formation while the enemy is charging at you? If everyone did the "smart" thing then the stupid people are going to win.

Btw; Tywin is a great lord as long as you're useful and loyal.

So is Lord Vader.

Very simple, my dear Watson. Saying "I hate Starks, I like Tywin" is supposed to be a sure way to ignite a flame. He could've also thrown in some Greyjoys for a good measure. He was shrewd enough not to say Ramsay, everybody would immediately see through that. Anyway, ladies and gentlemen, enjoy the bait.

I don't think it's that simple. There are plenty of Tywin fans out there and I understand their reasons for liking him. I don't agree with them, but I understand them. If you like Tywin, then you're going to hate Ned and the Starks.

Well main characters are:

Bran

Sansa

Tyrion

Jon

Arya

Daenaerys

Jaime

Cersei

So yeah the Starks are half the main chracters

You forgot Theon, Davos, Sam and Brienne who are also listed as major POV characters. That would make the Starks less than half.

And that's not even taking the minor POV's into consideration.

I don't think it's that simple. There are plenty of Tywin fans out there and I understand their reasons for liking him. I don't agree with them, but I understand them. If you like Tywin, then you're going to hate Ned and the Starks.

Might be. But starting a thread just to say the protagonists suck? That's like putting on a "Greedo shot first" T-shirt. Like the OP, I, too, am a cynic, hence I believe he's trolling.

Again, the Starks aren't most of the main characters.

In A Game of Thrones the only two characters that aren't Starks are Tyrion and Dany. So 6/8 are Starks

In A Clash of Kings, we've lost Ned and the POVs branch out a bit with Davos and Theon. 5/9 are Starks.

In A Storm of Swords, we add Sam to the POVs. So 5/10 are Starks

In A Feast of Crows, is where the Stark dominance in the novels starts to wane. Only 2/12 here.

In A Dance with Dragons, Jon and Bran are back, but no Sansa. So 3/16 here.

So it's fair to say in the first half of the story, the Starks -are- the primary antagonists of the series.

Not necessarily, I mostly like both Tywin and the Starks. I wouldn't cheer on Tywin, but he's fascinating and he's the man you love to hate. Tywin's very existence gives the protagonists gravitas. Robb's achievements wouldn't have been half so impressive if all he's managed to outwit was Cersei.

ETA:

In A Game of Thrones the only two characters that aren't Starks are Tyrion and Dany. So 6/8 are Starks

In A Clash of Kings, we've lost Ned and the POVs branch out a bit with Davos and Theon. 5/9 are Starks.

In A Storm of Swords, we add Sam to the POVs. So 5/10 are Starks

In A Feast of Crows, is where the Stark dominance in the novels starts to wane. Only 2/12 here.

In A Dance with Dragons, Jon and Bran are back, but no Sansa. So 3/16 here.

So it's fair to say in the first half of the story, the Starks -are- the primary antagonists of the series.

I think you meant protagonists. Unless the OP is getting to you :D

Not necessarily, I mostly like both Tywin and the Starks. I wouldn't cheer on Tywin, but he's fascinating and he's the man you love to hate. Tywin's very existence gives the protagonists gravitas. Robb's achievements wouldn't have been half so impressive if all he's managed to outwit was Cersei.

ETA:

I think you meant protagonists. Unless the OP is getting to you :D

Er... thanks. Yeah, we'll go with that! :dunno:

ETA:

I think you meant protagonists. Unless the Op is getting to you :D

I think Tywin is a great CHARACTER, yes. Fascinating yes. But again, so is Lord Vader. But actually "like" him and "admire" him, I do not.

Those are P.O.V.'s, not necessarily main characters. I mean, would you say Arys Oakheart was a main character? Areo Hotah? Are they more important than say... Stannis?

The main characters of the series:

Tyrion

Dany

Jon

Bran

Arya

Sansa

The story revolves around these six. Of the six, 4 of them are Starks.

It's fair to say that the Stark children are primary protagonists.

Those are P.O.V.'s, not necessarily main characters. I mean, would you say Arys Oakheart was a main character? Areo Hotah? Are they more important than say... Stannis?

If you want to break it down by number of total chapters, instead of POVs, the slant heads even more towards the Starks.

Archived