Season 5 Casting, News and Speculation V 7 [show spoilers, book spoilers past OP]

Seneti

Except that Bowen's actor is only appearing in 3 or 4 episodes (his CV says both, so we can't know yet) and isn't appearing any later than the Podeswa-directed 505 or 506. If the Ides are in they'll be in 509 or 510, so showMarsh would miss them.

EDIT: Ninja'd by the good Colonel.

The fact that Marsh was cast gives me all the evidence I need to know how Jon's season will end.

Marsh's actor isn't in any of the final episodes, going by what directors he worked with, though.

If the Ides aren't in S5, does it increse the chance of Jon being gone?

I hope not, just when I was starting to like him. :(

Actually, that would be the point, I think. Make Thorne likable and then have him betray Jon.

I'm also wondering what mistakes they will have Jon make, because truth be told, he didn't make very many as LC. Really, the only mistake he made was deciding to go after Ramsay Snow, and even that's debatable (ie: could Jon afford to let the Boltons attack CB when they had no defenses from the South). So it will be interesting.

Actually, that would be the point, I think. Make Thorne likable and then have him betray Jon.

I'm also wondering what mistakes they will have Jon make, because truth be told, he didn't make very many as LC. Really, the only mistake he made was deciding to go after Ramsay Snow, and even that's debatable (ie: could Jon afford to let the Boltons attack CB when they had no defenses from the South). So it will be interesting.

Well Bowen Marsh wasn't particularly likable in the book. He certainly didn't have any heroic moments like Thorne did in season 4. I know we were all pretty pleased with the direction they took Thorne in the show, it will be weird to watch him giving his "Tonight we fight!" speech if he just goes and betrays Jon. Now, I agree that the moral complication of a likable character stabbing Jon could be great, but they would have to portray Jon's leadership as LC to be flawed. I think Kit as Jon Snow is one of few truly heroic characters and the show's audience will be unable to justify "For the watch" in any sense.

Even the readers are pretty divided over that scene and there is a lot of nuance in Jon's ADWD arc. My guess is the show will treat the betrayal by emphasizing the prejudice against the wildlings more than the political element and vow-breaking. In fact, I think that's why the bothered to introduce Bowen Marsh, so it could be portrayed as a more villainous act by a frustratingly close-minded character. It wouldn't really gel with Thorne's recently shown respect of Jon, even saying that Jon was right.

So long as they emphasize that the NW "takes no part" and what a big deal it is for Jon to intervene against the Boltons, I think people will at least understand it. I doubt too many people will be happy about the Ides but I think they may see why the conservative NW top brass had such a grievance with Jon.

Well, I think they wouldn't have bothered introducing Marsh if they are just going to have Thorne do the deed. D&D don't do cliffhangers as much as George(see Arya after the Red Wedding) and they could be saving the Ides of Marsh for an early season shocker like Joffrey in season 4. Although personally I'd love it if it were the final scene of season 5.

Well, I think they wouldn't have bothered introducing Marsh if they are just going to have Thorne do the deed. D&D don't do cliffhangers as much as George(see Arya after the Red Wedding) and they could be saving the Ides of Marsh for an early season shocker like Joffrey in season 4. Although personally I'd love it if it were the final scene of season 5.

I agree about marsh.

I still think the ides will be early season six.

Even the readers are pretty divided over that scene and there is a lot of nuance in Jon's ADWD arc. My guess is the show will treat the betrayal by emphasizing the prejudice against the wildlings more than the political element and vow-breaking. In fact, I think that's why the bothered to introduce Bowen Marsh, so it could be portrayed as a more villainous act by a frustratingly close-minded character. It wouldn't really gel with Thorne's recently shown respect of Jon, even saying that Jon was right.

I could see them taking that direction...but as it stands right now, it would take a LOT of screw-ups on Jon's part for the audience to not be pissed off when it happens.

Except that Bowen's actor is only appearing in 3 or 4 episodes (his CV says both, so we can't know yet) and isn't appearing any later than the Podeswa-directed 505 or 506. If the Ides are in they'll be in 509 or 510, so showMarsh would miss them.

EDIT: Ninja'd by the good Colonel.

Is this from his CV?

Michael Condron as Bowen Marsh (three episodes, directed by Mylod, Slovis and Podeswa)

Is it cynical of me to hope that they shot it this year simply out of concern over Julian Glover's advancing age?

He might be 79 but that's a dozen years younger than Peter Vaughan (who plays Master Aemon) and Roy Dotrice (who was originally cast as Pycelle and ended up playing Hallyne in season #2). Also, as noted on the GOT Wiki page, Glover is very active for his age and thus his character has been portrayed as only pretending to be infirm. (For the record, this is one of the changes from the books that I actually like.)

Archived