Elia/Rhaegar/Lyanna vs. Arianne/Aegon/Elia

Mithras

What about her second born child? Couldn't her firstborn be Prince/Princess of Dragonstone, and her secondborn be heir to Dorne?

I think this is the key anyways. If she is under the impression that the QuentynxDany deal is still ongoing, then she will not undermine the previous plan by creating a new one with an ally whose intentions to another potential ally is unknown. And I agree that Arianne probably wants to be Princess of Dorne more than Queen of Westeros. Why be second fiddle when you can be leader of the band? Think of all she'd have to give up living in KL. Bleh.

Nah bra, you give up land/titles for the more powerful house, or at least that's what seems to make sense in Dornish politics from what we've seen. Quentyn would step up as Prince of Dorne and his children would be heir. Well, actually Trys because we know poor Ser Mud is bbq'd.

But yeah, none of this is to say that Dorne won't ally with Aegon, and as I said, there's a teeny tiny chance that after she hears about Aegon, her Martell GuiltTM will make her want to marry him so that Doran won't have to see yet another failed plan of his. But somehow I doubt it. She can ally with Aegon and advance Doran's plan without giving up her own seat. And given Doran's failing health, giving up her rights now is dangerous, with Trys still so young.

The thing I love about Arianne's TWOW plot is that it's so open ended and exciting. Take, for instance, how she's to send "war" to mean "no war," and "dragon" to mean "war." Is this just more evidence for us that Doran is cautious, or is that so that she can send the word "war" to appease JonCon & Crew, and get out without being held as a hostage? Who knows!

Nah bra, you give up land/titles for the more powerful house, or at least that's what seems to make sense in Dornish politics from what we've seen. Quentyn would step up as Prince of Dorne and his children would be heir. Well, actually Trys because we know poor Ser Mud is bbq'd.

But yeah, none of this is to say that Dorne won't ally with Aegon, and as I said, there's a teeny tiny chance that after she hears about Aegon, her Martell GuiltTM will make her want to marry him so that Doran won't have to see yet another failed plan of his. But somehow I doubt it. She can ally with Aegon and advance Doran's plan without giving up her own seat. And given Doran's failing health, giving up her rights now is dangerous, with Trys still so young.

The thing I love about Arianne's TWOW plot is that it's so open ended and exciting. Take, for instance, how she's to send "war" to mean "no war," and "dragon" to mean "war." Is this just more evidence for us that Doran is cautious, or is that so that she can send the word "war" to appease JonCon & Crew, and get out without being held as a hostage? Who knows!

True enough it is what we have seen, but if she so readily about to wed Willas, don't see how being the wife of a king is so bad, if wants to rule Dorne, why not just go against the grain and keep the titles and give the seat to the second son?

True enough it is what we have seen, but if she so readily about to wed Willas, don't see how being the wife of a king is so bad, if wants to rule Dorne, why not just go against the grain and keep the titles and give the seat to the second son?

How about the best of both worlds: she allies with Aegon to get him his throne in exchange for Dornish independence. Everyone wins! And by everyone, I mostly mean Dorne, because it's awesome.

How about the best of both worlds: she allies with Aegon to get him his throne in exchange for Dornish independence. Everyone wins! And by everyone, I mostly mean Dorne, because it's awesome.

I don't agree seeing the last time Dorne and SK tried to be neighbors, it was pretty much not all that good for anyone. But I guess we can agree to disagree with that one.

::Headsmack:: I forgot about Trys.

I think she would try to make an alliance not sealed by marriage. Unless she actually falls for Aegon which I admit may be possible. More likely she sleeps with him and creates an alliance that way. Of course the drawback to this is if Aegon falls for HER! I imagine NOT falling for Arianne would be difficult. This is all if she cannot gain an alliance another way or falls for Aegon.

It's a return of the political intrigue that was so, well, intriguing in the first couple of books and kinda fell apart after the Red Wedding.

If she believes she could still have powerful husband and rule Dorne, then I don't see why see wouldn't run this idea with Aegon, his second born prince of Dorne. If she just did it to sacry dad and not do it, it makes her legit trying to run away and meet Willas no sense. She still doesn't trust Dany or her marriage past.

And wed to arianne would strength Dorne more and fill Aegon court with Dornish as it did in Daeron's day. No one is thinking of Elia at all.

Did she try to seek out marriages to Great Lords (to-be) because she thought it would get her Dorne, or because she believed it would get her in the position of most power, if ruling Dorne wasn't an option anymore?

Arianne believed Doran did not want her to have Dorne, and saw that he tried to marry het to old guys with little power or lands. So if ruling Dorne isn't an option, then better become the wife of a powerful lord.. it totally does not give you back Dorne, but at least you aren't completely powerless.

Here's one out of left field. With Doran sending he's heir to his death and succoming to his galt then Arienne then rules sunspear. without the brains and patience of Doran this called be bad.

new to this forum no GoT expert just love the series and enjoy reading all your theories. please be kind to my theories and grammar thankyou

Here's one out of left field. With Doran sending he's heir to his death and succoming to his galt then Arienne then rules sunspear. without the brains and patience of Doran this called be bad.

new to this forum no GoT expert just love the series and enjoy reading all your theories. please be kind to my theories and grammar thankyou

Welcome! A couple quick things:

• Doran did not send Quentyn "to his death." Quentyn acted foolishly and of his own volition in a desperate attempt to not fail his father, which is tragic, but not Doran's fault. Doran in fact is quite concerned about Quentyn's well-being, and has demonstrated nothing but anxiety about the lack of news from his son
  • Arianne is every bit as smart and as patient as Doran. I'm going to be completely self-serving here, but I recommend that you read my character retrospective of Arianne, Part II of which focuses entirely on her personality and her similarities to her dad. I think she will be able to rule Sunspear with much aplomb. If you don't want to read the whole thing, just search for the part that says "Like Father, Like Daughter," and start there.

yep like a said no expert but i see your point.

guess it's a shame that Quentyn's pride out weighed his brains in this matter. Don't see why Martell's still couldn't just offer Dany their 50 thousand spears instead of setting Quentyn up to fail.

No one "set Quentyn up"... Quentyn was acting on his own, in the end.. It just didn't work out well.

your trolling

No, I'm not. I am asking a question, and expect an explanation.. which you seem unwilling to give.

As to Quentyn... He was supposed to engage himself to Dany (or even already marry), and bring her back to Westeros. Doran could not have known about Dany's marrriage. He could not have known about her relationship with Daario. He could not have known about the troubles in Meereen, and Slaver's Bay in general.

As non of those problems existed when Doran send Quentyn out to go find himself a ship.

As non of those problems existed when Doran send Quentyn out to go find himself a ship.

And Doran could definity not have predicted that Dany would disappear, and that Quentyn would try to face the dragons alone, which is what got him killed.

Doran send his son out in a party as big as possible not to draw notice, to a girl who had just lost a husband, and most of her (his) power. He send him to promise Dany 50.000 fighters... An army even bigger than Rhaegar brought to the Trident.

Archived