US Politics: Getting Rid of the Senate

Tywin Manderly

I'm saying the years of certain Progressives bashing Landrieu as not a 'real Democrat' and a DINO took their took. Of course Reed tried to save her, but do you remember back in 2010 when the loss of the Blue Dogs was being celebrated by some of the far left?

So what's the theory here, some kind of critical mass of progressive criticism was reached in 2014, striking several Democratic incumbents of varying time as officeholders all at once?

But this didn't affect Democrats in 2012, including President Obama, who, as the party leader has faced a greater volume of criticism from the left than any other Democrat because... why?

So what's the theory here, some kind of critical mass of progressive criticism was reached in 2014, striking several Democratic incumbents of varying time as officeholders all at once?

But this didn't affect Democrats in 2012, including President Obama, who, as the party leader has faced a greater volume of criticism from the left than any other Democrat because... why?

from a margin of victory standpoint, it affected Obama

Yeah, I don't get this either. Sure, officeholders always manage to garner criticism on their extreme flanks, but there's no evidence to demonstrate that this necessarily makes them lose elections. Mary Landrieu lost because she's a Democrat in a state that's moving right, up for reelection in a year when Democrats didn't turn out very strongly. I've seen no evidence that it's anything more than that.

And thank you Onion, for pointing out the level of unfounded criticism Obama has received from liberals. First, there needs to be a recognition that Obama is not the King of America; lots of reform cannot be enacted without the cooperation of Congress. Second, there's been a whole river of progressive reform in the last six years: Dodd-Frank, Lily Leadbetter, the ACA, the repeal of DADT, the partial repeal of the Bush tax cuts, the ARRA...the list goes on and on. Someday, people will see the Obama presidency as a time of great liberal achievements, but for now lefties are still angry that the Big O didn't wave a hand and institute single-payer.

I'm not pissed because of single payer. I'm pissed because the us is sliding into being a police state. I'm pissed because the executive branch has had an absurd amount of power given it. I'm pissed that under Obama income inequity has reached it's highest level ever. I'm pissed because the us is carrying out acts of war on civilians around the world and more people seem to care about whether Obama is a secret Muslim.

I'm not pissed because of single payer. I'm pissed because the us is sliding into being a police state. I'm pissed because the executive branch has had an absurd amount of power given it. I'm pissed that under Obama income inequity has reached it's highest level ever. I'm pissed because the us is carrying out acts of war on civilians around the world and more people seem to care about whether Obama is a secret Muslim.

IIRC, the march of income inequality slowed a bit, most likely due to the ACA and the expiration of (some of) the Bush tax cuts. That's not great news, but it's better than the alternative.

The reduction is a short term illusion. Over the long run Obamas quintupling of the estate tax exemption will do more to expand and entrench inequality than any post war president. He definitely guaranteed us a new gilded age with that nasty trick.

lkkersnöw,

The reduction is a short term illusion. Over the long run Obamas quintupling of the estate tax exemption will do more to expand and entrench inequality than any post war president. He definitely guaranteed us a new gilded age with that nasty trick.

I'm sympathetic to both finding germane critique of this President and to curtailing estate tax exemptions, but this seems rather a bold claim. Do you have informed projections to back this up?

I am pissed because even though progressives scored a major win the the aca, the court has slowly chipped away reproductive rights. I am also pissed as our nation descent into lawlessness as white terrorists defied the federal government and our laws with impunity and rioters looted and burned the streets of Ferguson and Berkeley with impunity. I am pissed that Obama dragged his feet on immigration policies and it only took a beating in the midterm elections for him to finally do the right thing. I am pissed that despite the housing crisis leading to the great recession, Obama keep prodding and enabling Fannie and Freddie to lower the mortgage downpayment requirement. I am especially pissed off at people who loves the lower gas prices yet decry fracking.

What are you talking about? When did presidents get the power to levy tax or extend exemptions?

In the deal to end the fiscal cliff Obama agreed to expand the bush era estate tax per person from 1 million per person to 5 million person. He also agreed to index the estate tax exemption to inflation.

Oh and that's just the post fiscal cliff deal for a single person. Married couples can now leave estates up to 10.68 million tax free to their heirs. It was two million under bush and if he not taken the fiscal cliff deal it would be a very reasonable one million.

Long term this guarantees a new gilded age, which is in keeping with all the other class stratifying trends in this country that are rapidly shifting us towards a new aristocracy.

Archived