NBA Regular Season 2014-2015: Injured Kobes and All Star Unibrows

Rhom

I'm happy the Raps won, but how are the Wiz at 33-21 with Wittman as coach? Their bench played most of the 4th quarter. Is this a regular occurrence for the Wiz?

John Wall rights a lot of wrongs. But you're right about Wittman. I've noticed the same thing about his 4th quarter bench usage. The starting 5 outscores most opponents and the bench gives it all back and more. Can only assume he's leaving the bench in as long as he does to try to find something that works because he'll need it come playoff time (and to not overplay his starters). It's possible I'm giving him too much credit and they keep losing mostly close games to good teams as a result. Getting increasingly concerned they're going to get stuck playing Cleveland in the first round.

I'm also concerned he's the Mike McCarthy of the NBA. They can win a series against last year's depleted Bulls team that they can just physically overpower. But I have little faith in their ability to overcome anyone as talented as they are due to the coaching mismatch. Right now they'd lose a series to any of the other top 5 teams in the East.

There's also the fact that NBA coaches in general dont have THAT much impact, which is why Spoelstra has 2 rings and Jerry Sloan has 0.

Mike Brown begs to differ. So does Mike Budenholzer on the other end.

Yes, talent wins in the NBA. But when teams are roughly equally talented, coaching matters a ton

Jackson is already robbing the franchise blind to run them into the ground. One of the worst hires ever.

I agree. I was telling people this before the season began. The Chandler trade was terrible and the decision to run the triangle after paying Melo max money was even worse. Say what you want about Melo 's game but if you sign a guy like him you have to build around him and his strengths. Which means having defenders, three point shooters, rebounders, and a good point guard. You don't pay Melo 125 mil and stick him into 18 pass offense.

As for Dolan, he is a disgrace. An utter failure. Just fucking horrible.

Mike Brown begs to differ. So does Mike Budenholzer on the other end.

Yes, talent wins in the NBA. But when teams are roughly equally talented, coaching matters a ton

Do you think Erik Spoelstra was better than Greg Popovitch in the 2013 finals?

Also, I cant recall a year where Mike Brown really had a championship-caliber team. Those 09 and 010 Cleveland teams werent exactly great and went to shit whenever LeBron played badly (and the East was horribly weak) and that Laker Dream team was riddled with age and injury. Brown sucks, but you have to look at the teams too.

Do you think Erik Spoelstra was better than Greg Popovitch in the 2013 finals?

Also, I cant recall a year where Mike Brown really had a championship-caliber team. Those 09 and 010 Cleveland teams werent exactly great and went to shit whenever LeBron played badly (and the East was horribly weak) and that Laker Dream team was riddled with age and injury. Brown sucks, but you have to look at the teams too.

Spoelstra gets more shit than he deserves. He isn't an all time great, but he's a pretty good coach.

And I think with a good coach that the 2009 and 2010 Cavs would have at least made the finals, although I doubt they could have beaten the Lakers either time.

Spoelstra gets more shit than he deserves. He isn't an all time great, but he's a pretty good coach.

And I think with a good coach that the 2009 and 2010 Cavs would have at least made the finals, although I doubt they could have beaten the Lakers either time.

Okay look at the guys LeBron had around him

PG: Mo Williams

SG: Delonte West

Backup SF: Jamario Moon

PF: Anderson Varejao, An old Antwan Jamison

C: An old Ben Wallace and later on An ancient Shaquille O'neal, with the remains of Big Z as a back-up

I am fucking SHOCKED that this team even made the ECF once in either of LeBrons 2 MVP years

I am fucking SHOCKED that this team even made the ECF once in either of LeBrons 2 MVP years

And the 2009 East winner was an Orlando Magic team featuring Dwight Howard, Hedo Turkgolu, and some role players. The 2010 winner was a Celtics team that was Rondo plus three guys that were obviously past their prime. A good coach plus the best player in the world could overcome these insurmountable challenges.

And the 2009 East winner was an Orlando Magic team featuring Dwight Howard, Hedo Turkgolu, and some role players. The 2010 winner was a Celtics team that was Rondo plus three guys that were obviously past their prime. A good coach plus the best player in the world could overcome these insurmountable challenges.

Right right right, like those 2006 and 2007 Lakers, coached by Phil Jackson....who never escaped the first round.

I would also like to point out that that Magic team was indeed not exactly star-studded, but they had explosiveness and youth on their side, which the Cavs mostly didnt.

And that 2010 Celtics team was still a strong team, who just needed to be rested properly and have their minutes minimized (many players were recoverng form injuries, like what Popovitch has done the past few years.

Im not saying coaching doesnt matter at all, just not as much as some people think.

Im not saying coaching doesnt matter at all, just not as much as some people think.

Again, no-one's arguing coaching overcomes a lack of talent. Talent decides your ceiling. Coaching is what allows that talent to reach as close to that ceiling it is capable of. It's absolutely a difference maker. There's countless examples I live in Denver. I've watched a 57 win Nuggets team under George Karl win 36 games (and be on pace) to win 30 games with virtually the exact same roster under Brian Shaw. We've watched the Kings collapse under Ty Corbin after firing Mike Malone. We've watched the Clippers finally put it together under Doc Rivers. We've seen the Warriors go from a good team to best in the league under Kerr. We continue to watch the Spurs win 50+ games every single season with Poppovich regardless of how old his stars get. The best coaches in all sports maximize the talent on their rosters and you don't realize how much difference a good NBA coach makes until you see it taken over by someone less adept (and vice versa).

Yeah Spolestra won a playoff series against Popp but like Maith says he's proven to be a good coach and even if he's not as good as Popp (easily a top 5 coach all time), in that series he coached him to a relative standstill. Read Zach Lowe sometime if you're not already. The window he provides into the adjustments/counter adjustments coaches make in a 7 game series is eye opening. I guarantee you if Mike Brown was coaching that team, they would have lost in 2013... probably in a romp.

We also saw what happened the next year. Popp figured out how to retool the exact same roster into one that could steamroll the Heat.

Again, no-one's arguing coaching overcomes a lack of talent.

But smartassness aside, yeah, I get what you're saying.

We also saw what happened the next year. Popp figured out how to retool the exact same roster into one that could steamroll the Heat.

And Dwayne Wade ran out of gas. I think that the 2014 Heat were the weaker than any of the previous three squads. It's no surprise they got exposed in the end.

And Dwayne Wade ran out of gas. I think that the 2014 Heat were the weaker than any of the previous three squads. It's no surprise they got exposed in the end.

True. And they even rested him a ton in the regular season to prevent this from happening and while they got the most efficient numbers of his career out of him it still happened at the most critical moment. Lebron also looked like he ran out of gas too for having to carry the team all season while Wade rested. Or maybe he was just so demoralized by the Spurs unstoppable efficiency. Hard to say there. I do think if they played a less well-oiled machine in the finals than that Spurs team, they still could've competed instead of having their doors blown off.

Lebron also looked like he ran out of gas too for having to carry the team all season while Wade rested. Or maybe he was just so demoralized by the Spurs unstoppable efficiency. Hard to say there. I do think if they played a less well-oiled machine in the finals than that Spurs team, they still could've competed instead of having their doors blown off.

It is honestly hard to really judge just how good that Spurs team was. In some respects they looked absolutely unstoppable, but I think a lot of that was just because they created horrible matchup problems for an already injured Heat squad. Remembering back to the WCF, I'm not sure that the Spurs would have won that series if Ibaka doesn't get hurt. (And a healthy OKC would have beaten Miami, although not in such dominating fashion).

Not trying to take anything away from the Spurs, they played great and had better depth than I have ever seen on an NBA team. But it's hard to really say if this team were more dominant than most NBA champions are, or if their depth just gave the illusion of dominance against a shallow and injured Heat.

It is honestly hard to really judge just how good that Spurs team was. In some respects they looked absolutely unstoppable, but I think a lot of that was just because they created horrible matchup problems for an already injured Heat squad. Remembering back to the WCF, I'm not sure that the Spurs would have won that series if Ibaka doesn't get hurt. (And a healthy OKC would have beaten Miami, although not in such dominating fashion).

Not trying to take anything away from the Spurs, they played great and had better depth than I have ever seen on an NBA team. But it's hard to really say if this team were more dominant than most NBA champions are, or if their depth just gave the illusion of dominance against a shallow and injured Heat.

I agree with this. San Antonio's offense was all about passing the ball about a thousand times until one player had a perfect shot at the basket. Miami's older players tired themselves out constantly chasing the ball and you could just tell their legs were spent by around the 3rd quarter.

Archived