NFL Week 16: Bag Boy vs The Legion of Boom

Manhole Eunuchsbane

Lot of gloominess everywhere about the Broncos chances after last night's loss. I'm not a Broncos fan but if I was I'd still be pretty optimistic. They're still one of three clear favorites to win the Superbowl in my mind along with Seattle and New England.

They lost to a good team who had a lot more riding on the outcome, on the road. It happens. Seahawks had a bad loss at home in Week 16 last year to Arizona before going on to win the Superbowl. Ravens got blown out several times before catching fire in the playoffs the year before. Giants got smacked around by the Sexy Rexskins in Week 16 the year before that. Not to mention PFM's only title came with one of the most flawed Colts teams he'd ever played on. Almost feel like there's more value in learning from a tough loss than being the hottest team going into the playoffs.

As for PFM's frailties, it's all the more reason to usher him into late-career Elway game-manager mode. Don't expect him to carry you anymore - everyone needs to step up. Their defense will be fine. No-one can match their two corners, two pass rushers and run-stopping ability (once their LBs heal up anyway).

Really think their chances come down to whether they're able to fix their O-line or not. Someone needs to tell me why they continue to play Vasquez at tackle. He's their best guard but he's not quick enough in space to be a good tackle. Feel like they weakened two positions....

Haven't looked at the pro bowl lists other than to say it's utterly ridiculous that Andrew Whitworth didn't make it. In 528 pass rushing snaps, he has given up no sacks, 1 QB hit and 8 hurries. Ryan Clady, who did get in, has given up 2 sacks, 7 QB hits and 21 hurries. That and maybe Adam Jones would be my only arguments but Hester and Sproles were pretty good too.

They don't have a serviceable tackle, though, do they? Like, even close to acceptable? I thought that was the rationale.

I thought Chris Clark was decent but I'd have to check PFF. Or maybe he fell off a ton. I dunno, I just saw Dunlap abusing Vasquez on MNF and felt like a damn shame. Hell the Bengals just picked up Eric Winston earlier this month and he looked pretty good.

ETA: Looks like Vasquez has been almost all negative since moving to RT in week 10 though his pass blocking hasn't been terrible. Still nothing like his dominance of last year. Clark has limited data but it's mostly bad. He too graded a lot better last year.

Haven't looked at the pro bowl lists other than to say it's utterly ridiculous that Andrew Whitworth didn't make it. In 528 pass rushing snaps, he has given up no sacks, 1 QB hit and 8 hurries. Ryan Clady, who did get in, has given up 2 sacks, 7 QB hits and 21 hurries. That and maybe Adam Jones would be my only arguments but Hester and Sproles were pretty good too.

So when I looked up Chris Clark I couldn't resist going on a PFF binge.

You're 100% right here. Whitworth graded out as an amazing +35. Clady? -4.2. Not even as good as an average LT this year. The entire Broncos O-line is just way worse this year for whatever reason.

Just to put Whitworth's dominance in context, Aaron Rodgers is a +37.5 (PFM, by comparison, is only +8.6).

And because it never gets less ridiculous: JJ Watt is a +101. It's almost impossible to quantify how much better he is at football than everyone else in the league but PFF at least tries.

ETA: Also Revis > Sherman > Talib > Haden >> Peterson (PP looking highly overrated). But Chris Harris rates higher than all of 'em.

So when I looked up Chris Clark I couldn't resist going on a PFF binge.

You're 100% right here. Whitworth graded out as an amazing +35. Clady? -4.2. Not even as good as an average LT this year. The entire Broncos O-line is just way worse this year for whatever reason.

Just to put Whitworth's dominance in context, Aaron Rodgers is a +37.5 (PFM, by comparison, is only +8.6).

And because it never gets less ridiculous: JJ Watt is a +101. It's almost impossible to quantify how much better he is at football than everyone else in the league but PFF at least tries.

ETA: Also Revis > Sherman > Talib > Haden >> Peterson (PP looking highly overrated). But Chris Harris rates higher than all of 'em.

What about my main man Vonte Davis?

Yeah, so there's subjectivity involved. But basically it analyzes a guy's performance on every play of a season. If he does what he's supposed to at the level of an average NFL player in that situation, he gets a 0. If what he does is above and beyond (i.e.: a play is blocked to get 4 yards, but the RB picks up 10), he gets a positive grade.

Rated 2nd by PFF with a grade of +18.3. NFL rating when targeted is something like ~39.

He's killing it. Puts him right up in the Revis/Sherman performance range this year.

Just watched a video featuring an idiot (Michael Silver) talking about Johnny Fucktard's future in Cleveland, and buried in all of the talk about how 'Johnny won people over in the organization' was a fantastic "he's got a great arm" comment.

Where is this coming from? Why are people who are supposed to know what they're talking about making that statement? Nothing I've seen from Fucktard makes me think that he has even average arm strength for the pros. Seriously, his throws have all of the velocity of Chad Pennington with none of the meticulous timing or accuracy. As a matter of fact, he reminds me of a less-accurate Colt McCoy. With none of McCoy's charm.

Just watched a video featuring an idiot (Michael Silver) talking about Johnny Fucktard's future in Cleveland, and buried in all of the talk about how 'Johnny won people over in the organization' was a fantastic "he's got a great arm" comment.

Where is this coming from? Why are people who are supposed to know what they're talking about making that statement? Nothing I've seen from Fucktard makes me think that he has even average arm strength for the pros. Seriously, his throws have all of the velocity of Chad Pennington with none of the meticulous timing or accuracy. As a matter of fact, he reminds me of a less-accurate Colt McCoy. With none of McCoy's charm.

Here is the thing about Manziel. He has no idea how to play the game on an NFL level now. He can not read defenses, or react in a way that will be productive for his team when plays break down. He is also going to be fairly fragile in this league because of his tendency to scramble in places that worked in college, but will not in the pros.

He does however have great arm strength and tremendous accuracy with his passes however. We just haven't seen that on an NFL level because he has been too busy making bonehead mistakes and getting killed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ziv2s2mt6U

Hmm, I was surprised by the accuracy of some of those throws in that highlight reel. But even still, I didn't see much velocity (throws have to get there quicker in the NFL) on his throws and I only counted 3 passes that were in the air for 40 yards and all three were barely over that mark.

Granted, not everyone needs to have a laser-rocket arm, but a (being generous) 50 yard range isn't great by any means in the NFL. Look at guys like Luck who can literally throw the ball the length of the field, or Wilson who can throw accurately forty yards downfield on his back foot without looking while stiff-arming fools, or Tom Brady throwing the ball so fucking hard it hits Randy Moss 70 yards downfield without ever going more than 20 feet into the air (a little exaggeration on that last example).

Speaking of Brady, (who has the best throwing motion in the business) I was surprised by how tight Fucktard's release was in a lot of those highlights. I haven't seen anything like that in any of his pro throws.

In summary, Howdy, while that highlight reel forces me to give Fucktard a bit more credit than before, I wasn't really blown away by his arm strength there. Even if I were to call it average, there's a long way between average and great.

Hmm, I was surprised by the accuracy of some of those throws in that highlight reel. But even still, I didn't see much velocity (throws have to get there quicker in the NFL) on his throws and I only counted 3 passes that were in the air for 40 yards and all three were barely over that mark.

Granted, not everyone needs to have a laser-rocket arm, but a (being generous) 50 yard range isn't great by any means in the NFL. Look at guys like Luck who can literally throw the ball the length of the field, or Wilson who can throw accurately forty yards downfield on his back foot without looking while stiff-arming fools, or Tom Brady throwing the ball so fucking hard it hits Randy Moss 70 yards downfield without ever going more than 20 feet into the air (a little exaggeration on that last example).

Speaking of Brady, (who has the best throwing motion in the business) I was surprised by how tight Fucktard's release was in a lot of those highlights. I haven't seen anything like that in any of his pro throws.

In summary, Howdy, while that highlight reel forces me to give Fucktard a bit more credit than before, I wasn't really blown away by his arm strength there. Even if I were to call it average, there's a long way between average and great.

I think that your perspective may be a little off. Here is a highlight reel of Andrew Luck at Stanford for comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcYFjD4PK8E

I do think that Luck may have a slight edge over Manziel in arm strength, but it isn't the huge difference that you are describing. Manziel has the physical ability to play in this league. I also think that he is at least top 10 in the league as far as just arm strength.

I do not think he will succeed because I do not think he has the capacity to learn how to read an NFL defense, (and he is a Fucktard of course)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkNQqOurmIA

That's Andrew Luck throwing the ball 75 yards (all in the air) into the wind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMz9nwy7yYc

That's Andrew Luck throwing the ball 50 yards (all in the air) while falling to his knees.

Meanwhile, why doesn't Case Keenum have a full-time NFL job? He's vaguely competent, while guys like Ryan Lindley couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat.

Meanwhile, why doesn't Case Keenum have a full-time NFL job? He's vaguely competent, while guys like Ryan Lindley couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat.

Because Lindley is a 3rd stringer who's only seeing playing time due to circumstance. I'm sure the Cardinals would jump all over Keenum right about now were he available.

Because Lindley is a 3rd stringer who's only seeing playing time due to circumstance. I'm sure the Cardinals would jump all over Keenum right about now were he available.

But he was available! After Carson got hurt, Keenum was still a free agent (I think he might have been on a practice squad, but I don't know how to confirm that). Why wasn't he brought in as the new #2? And as a matter of fact, for my money I think Keenum is better than Stanton. And I like Stanton.

I don't understand how a guy who came in and played aggressively mediocre last year didn't have a gig as a backup.

Archived