Theories you picked up on all by your lonesome.

Salafi Stannis

A lot of the other things I "figured out on my own" were really things I deduced because I had been exposed to certain things about the series before I had read it or seen the HBO series. I am part of a message board that had many discussions of the book series, and when the TV show came out some posters changed their signatures to spoilers for the show so I was always seeing "Tyrion crossbows Tywin on the toilet" before I knew who Tyrion or Tywin were. When I first watched the TV series, I already knew that Starks were honorable but kind of dumb, and that the Lannisters were evil and there was incest going on, and that someone named Sansa made a lot of people angry for different reasons. I had heard about a Red Wedding that was really heartbreaking for a lot of people. So when I watched the first couple of seasons and then bought the first book, I was "figuring things out" a lot as I went because my memory was primed with all these unconnected facts about the series.

Ned isn't Jon's father either is he? However, as he poses as his father, that would make Jon Catelyn's stepmother.

No, not really. In Westeros, women are not considered stepmothers to their husband's bastards, nor are they expected to be motherly or take care of them at all.

My theory is that Ned IS Jon's father, and it all fits perfectly if you consider that.

Another tie-in - I used to think the fact that Ned was having recurring dreams of Lyanna and the Tower of Joy while bedridden because future Bran was trying to access his memories…but now I think she was on his mind because he had discovered Cersei and Jaime's incest.

Why would Lyanna and the Tower of Joy have anything to do with either Cersei/Jaime, or Bran?

Because Ghost is the Quiet Wolf, I sometimes think Ned is the father as well. I speak the truth when I say I am actually getting tired, really tired of this endless speculation and the what ifs and how abouts and what do you think. GRRM should really be ashamed of himself. He's raking in cash and attention and more cash and fame and popularity and he is producing nothing. Why do I need a history of Westeros when the book I've been trying to finish reading for years isn't done yet. Come on, its been almost 20 years. The worst case of writers block EVER.

I'm tired of arguing with people I don't know about people who don't actually exist either. Its laughable, but its not funny.

GRRM should really be ashamed of himself. He's raking in cash and attention and more cash and fame and popularity and he is producing nothing. Why do I need a history of Westeros when the book I've been trying to finish reading for years isn't done yet. Come on, its been almost 20 years. The worst case of writers block EVER.

http://i.imgur.com/E2Ah6vE.png

Just to put things into perspective.

Regardless of the sex of the dead direwolf....it wasn't a Baratheon (stag) that killed Cat or Ned anyways, it was a Lannister.

I think the symbolism is with the # of pups vs. the # of Stark children. Nothing more than that.

The symbolism is that the stag and the wolf would be killing each other soon and they were. If you don't see that I guess picture books won't help. Joff is a stag. Ned a wolf.

Because Ghost is the Quiet Wolf, I sometimes think Ned is the father as well. I speak the truth when I say I am actually getting tired, really tired of this endless speculation and the what ifs and how abouts and what do you think. GRRM should really be ashamed of himself. He's raking in cash and attention and more cash and fame and popularity and he is producing nothing. Why do I need a history of Westeros when the book I've been trying to finish reading for years isn't done yet. Come on, its been almost 20 years. The worst case of writers block EVER.

I'm tired of arguing with people I don't know about people who don't actually exist either. Its laughable, but its not funny.

I will disagree with you there (see portion in bold). I don't think it is writers block. When GRRM started this series, he was known in his genre but fairly unknown everywhere else. He didn't have the commitments, signings, junkets, Comic Cons, etc. back then that he has now with the success of the books and show. Plus with the development of the Wiki Page, forums, apps, etc...he needs to make sure that his story is completely cohesive and contains little to no errors in the story, or us as fans would be all over him for producing poor work. Just look at how many of us constantly re-read the series...and how many things you catch on the second, third or fourth times through. This type of writing is not something he can just spit out in a month. IMO, I don't call that writers block.

To the two people above. the momma direwolf is Ned not catelyn. it would have theoretically been a boy wolf but it cant make sense. its just trying to show parentage. also Cat isn't the mother of six wolves. Ned isn't either but he is at least the symbolic father of six. also Cat isn't a wolf. she actually even thinks of herself as not a wolf/northwoman on many occasions throughout the book.

and the thing about Joff not being a stag isn't a problem. he uses the name baratheon and even flies its banner. I kind of think all the baratheon brothers, renly stannis and Robert had a hand in neds death. which could be the stag. Renly left Ned by himself to be killed. Robert but him in charge when he knew ned didn't want to stay in KL and isn't built for it. Stannis knew Ned was coming to KL when things were about to get bad and didn't reach out to him.

but back to the forum lol.

I didn't come up with RLJ :blushing:. I didn't know the books were so deep until much later on.

did come up with Theon Durden which I totally believe is true

and idk if this is obvious or not but the last warrior, azor ahai, and prince that was promised. are three different people and are also the three heads of the dragon. Dany (prince that was promised) Jon (azor ahai) and the last idk. but I have some ideas (def not Tyrion)

Blind.

But the direwolf was not the mother of 5 pups, it was the mother of 6 pups, one of which had crawled away from the others after she died. If she was symbolic of Cat, then Jon would have to be her child.

The direwolf was clearly symbolic of Ned, which is why I think R+L=J may not be the truth, and that it might be N+L=J. Think about how un-judgmental Ned was of Cersei when he discovered her incest - he was driven to protect her from the consequences of her sins, because he knew he could not judge her.

Ned raised Jon. While he likely isn't the biological father, he certainly was the practical father. However, because of Catelyn, Jon was raised separate from the others. He is still related to the last known direwolf south of the wall, but he is set apart. And unlike (mostly) the rest of his siblings, he doesn't make a lot of noise early on. However, like Ghost, it appears he will be the fiercest of all of them (pretty sure that was in the books).

I will disagree with you there (see portion in bold). I don't think it is writers block. When GRRM started this series, he was known in his genre but fairly unknown everywhere else. He didn't have the commitments, signings, junkets, Comic Cons, etc. back then that he has now with the success of the books and show. Plus with the development of the Wiki Page, forums, apps, etc...he needs to make sure that his story is completely cohesive and contains little to no errors in the story, or us as fans would be all over him for producing poor work. Just look at how many of us constantly re-read the series...and how many things you catch on the second, third or fourth times through. This type of writing is not something he can just spit out in a month. IMO, I don't call that writers block.

A month? Really? You think I'd complain about a month? Imagine having to listen to one song for 20 years in a constant loop but the song doesn't end. The lyrics stop and you don't know what happens. You keep waiting for the rest of the lyrics, you try different arrangements of the music and talk to your friends about it. You can't figure it out. They threw all of this stuff at you and walked out the door to start a new life and there you are with the same stanza of the song that keeps playing in your head and there is nothing you can do about it.

Ned raised Jon. While he likely isn't the biological father, he certainly was the practical father. However, because of Catelyn, Jon was raised separate from the others. He is still related to the last known direwolf south of the wall, but he is set apart. And unlike (mostly) the rest of his siblings, he doesn't make a lot of noise early on. However, like Ghost, it appears he will be the fiercest of all of them (pretty sure that was in the books).

Ghost hasn't been the fiercest of the direwolves. If anything, he's been the least fierce of them other than Lady. He hasn't fought and attacked nearly as much as the others (granted, that may be just because of the circumstances), he's not wild as Shaggydog, and he's a loner rather than an alpha like Nymeria and Summer (who have both subdued wolf packs and asserted their superiority over them, Bran!Summer over a wolf warged by a very powerful skinchanger).

Ghost's strong sides have been his intelligence and perceptiveness rather than fierceness - he was the one who found the dragonglass weapons and pointed Jon to them.

Ghost hasn't been the fiercest of the direwolves. If anything, he's been the least fierce of them other than Lady. He hasn't fought and attacked nearly as much as the others (granted, that may be just because of the circumstances), he's not wild as Shaggydog, and he's a loner rather than an alpha like Nymeria and Summer (who have both subdued wolf packs and asserted their superiority over them, Bran!Summer over a wolf warged by a very powerful skinchanger).

Ghost's strong sides have been his intelligence and perceptiveness rather than fierceness - he was the one who found the dragonglass weapons and pointed Jon to them.

Sorry, fierce wasn't the right word. I swear I remember reading early on that Ghost quickly outpaced the others from a physical standpoint, although I've been a victim of show creep/poor memory before. I'd agree. From a sheer fierceness perspective, he is lower than all but Lady.

Why would Lyanna and the Tower of Joy have anything to do with either Cersei/Jaime, or Bran?

Ned was reminded of his incestuous affair with his sister when he discovered Jaime and Cersei's incest. That's why he had sympathy for Cersei and tried to help her escape Robert's wrath. Ned understood far too well what it was like to have a sexual secret that would get you killed if Robert found out.

A month? Really? You think I'd complain about a month? Imagine having to listen to one song for 20 years in a constant loop but the song doesn't end. The lyrics stop and you don't know what happens. You keep waiting for the rest of the lyrics, you try different arrangements of the music and talk to your friends about it. You can't figure it out. They threw all of this stuff at you and walked out the door to start a new life and there you are with the same stanza of the song that keeps playing in your head and there is nothing you can do about it.

A Month was a sarcastic duration that I thought you would pick up on because it would be absurd to be upset if it was just a month we all were waiting on. Maybe I should have used a Week? It is also an absurd thought GRRM could write an entire book in a Month.

Regardless of duration (sarcastic or not), I don't think it is writers block. If the song you're listening to has 1,770,000 words, then it will probably be 4-6 years between releases.

cold fingers-

don't worry, from this girls posts it seems like shes not having a good day. everything she writes seems pissed off.

shes probably out right now hunting for you (after shes done with GRRM). board up those windows!

He's a Texan. He'll just wait until she is completely inside his residence, then the good old shotgun kicks in. Yay castle doctrine.

Archived