Theories you picked up on all by your lonesome.

Salafi Stannis

I don't know about popular. I know an awful lot of people saw the foreshadowing of the war when the stag's antler (Stag, sigil House Baratheon) killed the female dire wolf (Sigil, House Stark), including me. I don't know if that many people also saw it as a foreshadowing of Catelyn's death.

She had five children. There were 5 pups. The white wolf was set apart from the others, as was Jon by Cat.

The antler goes through the throat of the she wolf, just as the dagger cuts Catelyn's throat open.

All of the dire wolf's pups are orphaned as are Cat's children.

I have found a lot of other stuff, but, this was my very first aside from realizing that the sword the Other killed Waymer Royce with was in some way sinister and not easily defeated.

R+L=J. I wasn't spoiled on it, realized it while reading Ned's last POV chapter.

Lyanna = Knight of the Laughing Tree

Stuff I figured out early before it was confirmed in the books: that Jaime was Joffrey's father (very early on in AGOT), that Bran and Rickon weren't really killed (GRRM never fooled me with their fake death, or any fake deaths - I thought trying to make people think Sandor killed Arya as opposed to knocking her out was particularly ludicrous and that no one would buy that cliffhanger), that Dany was going to fuck over the Astapori slavers (I was sure of that the moment she claimed she wanted to buy all the Unsullied), that Littlefinger was the one that got Lysa pregnant all those years ago.

Some stuff I was spoiled about before getting to that part in the book: Gravedigger; I saw season 1 after reading AGOT so I learned about Loras/Renly before reading the books that start dropping any real hints (the first real hints are in ACOK, I don't think it's really hinted just in AGOT).

Some things I had to learn from the forums: Alleras = Sarella.

I don't know about popular. I know an awful lot of people saw the foreshadowing of the war when the stag's antler (Stag, sigil House Baratheon) killed the female dire wolf (Sigil, House Stark), including me. I don't know if that many people also saw it as a foreshadowing of Catelyn's death.

She had five children. There were 5 pups. The white wolf was set apart from the others, as was Jon by Cat.

The antler goes through the throat of the she wolf, just as the dagger cuts Catelyn's throat open.

All of the dire wolf's pups are orphaned as are Cat's children.

I have found a lot of other stuff, but, this was my very first aside from realizing that the sword the Other killed Waymer Royce with was in some way sinister and not easily defeated.

I think that was foreshadowing Ned's death, not Catelyn's. The sex of the direwolf doesn't matter. (It's not like it would have made any sense to find the pups next to a dead father.)

Cat was not a "direwolf" and she certainly wasn't killed by a "stag" in any interpretation, but by towers, lions and flayed men.

I think that was foreshadowing Ned's death, not Catelyn's. The sex of the direwolf doesn't matter. (It's not like it would have made any sense to find the pups next to a dead father.)

Cat was not a "direwolf" and she certainly wasn't killed by a "stag" in any interpretation, but by towers, lions and flayed men.

She was a mother of 5 children as was Cat. The 6th, set apart as Jon was. If we assume that Cat & Ned are not Jon Snow's parents this fits perfectly. The sex does matter. The pups would not have been found all together with a dead father is correct. That is why the she wolf would represent Cat as the matriach of the Stark family. Ned even tells her she must stay behind at Winterfell when he goes to King's Landing as there must always be a Stark in Winterfell. You are entitled to your opinion, but I think mine own as merit. The she wolf is symbolic of the mother of 5 children and an unwanted child.

I know I didn't straight out state that it also foreshadowed Ned's death, but of course it did. Stark vs. Baratheon. Stark lost. You can say it was because of the Lannisters, but Joff thought he was a Baratheon and to the world at the time of Ned's death, he was. Even Robert said that he knew there was a war coming. I'm sure he didn't foresee their houses being on opposite sides of it though.

Cat was a Stark by marriage. Like it or no. All of the child Stark's have Ned and her own blood running through them. Are they not Starks because of their Tully blood? Of course not.

She was a mother of 5 children as was Cat. The 6th, set apart as Jon was. If we assume that Cat & Ned are not Jon Snow's parents this fits perfectly. The sex does matter. The pups would not have been found all together with a dead father is correct. That is why the she wolf would represent Cat as the matriach of the Stark family. Ned even tells her she must stay behind at Winterfell when he goes to King's Landing as there must always be a Stark in Winterfell. You are entitled to your opinion, but I think mine own as merit. The she wolf is symbolic of the mother of 5 children and an unwanted child.

I know I didn't straight out state that it also foreshadowed Ned's death, but of course it did. Stark vs. Baratheon. Stark lost. You can say it was because of the Lannisters, but Joff thought he was a Baratheon and to the world at the time of Ned's death, he was. Even Robert said that he knew there was a war coming. I'm sure he didn't foresee their houses being on opposite sides of it though.

Cat was a Stark by marriage. Like it or no. All of the child Stark's have Ned and her own blood running through them. Are they not Starks because of their Tully blood? Of course not.

No, the pups couldn't have been found next to a dead father because that would have made zero sense. The father does not give birth. Do I really have to explain that one?

I find it funny that you're determined to be that literal with the sex of the direwolf, yet play fast and loose with everything else. Cat was not killed by Joffrey (whose official sigil is a stag) and she did not cause the death of a stag who in turn caused her death (which could be said of Ned and Robert). Cat was killed by twin towers in a massacre organized by them, a flayed man and a lion (Tywin).

ETA: and of course, another reason why it doesn't work at all for Cat is that Robb dies before her. The symbolism of the scene is all about six direwolf puppies being left after the death of their parent, the crucial event that kickstarts so much of the plot (in addition to the death of a "stag" that's even more crucial for the start of the war).

No, the pups couldn't have been found next to a dead father because that would have made zero sense. The father does not give birth. Do I really have to explain that one?

I find it funny that you're determined to be that literal with the sex of the direwolf, yet play fast and loose with everything else. Cat was not killed by Joffrey (whose official sigil is a stag) and she did not cause the death of a stag who in turn caused her death (which could be said of Ned and Robert). Cat was killed by twin towers in a massacre organized by them, a flayed man and a lion (Tywin).

You are engrossed in your own point of view. I can't have a reasonable discussion with someone whose mind is closed to any other possibility. Lets agree to let you stay closed minded.

You are engrossed in your own point of view. I can't have a reasonable discussion with someone whose mind is closed to any other possibility. Lets agree to let you stay closed minded.

Let's agree you to let you stay arrogant and determined to ignore the actual facts.

She was a mother of 5 children as was Cat.

But the direwolf was not the mother of 5 pups, it was the mother of 6 pups, one of which had crawled away from the others after she died. If she was symbolic of Cat, then Jon would have to be her child.

The direwolf was clearly symbolic of Ned, which is why I think R+L=J may not be the truth, and that it might be N+L=J. Think about how un-judgmental Ned was of Cersei when he discovered her incest - he was driven to protect her from the consequences of her sins, because he knew he could not judge her.

To the two people above. the momma direwolf is Ned not catelyn. it would have theoretically been a boy wolf but it cant make sense. its just trying to show parentage. also Cat isn't the mother of six wolves. Ned isn't either but he is at least the symbolic father of six. also Cat isn't a wolf. she actually even thinks of herself as not a wolf/northwoman on many occasions throughout the book.

and the thing about Joff not being a stag isn't a problem. he uses the name baratheon and even flies its banner. I kind of think all the baratheon brothers, renly stannis and Robert had a hand in neds death. which could be the stag. Renly left Ned by himself to be killed. Robert but him in charge when he knew ned didn't want to stay in KL and isn't built for it. Stannis knew Ned was coming to KL when things were about to get bad and didn't reach out to him.

but back to the forum lol.

I didn't come up with RLJ :blushing:. I didn't know the books were so deep until much later on.

did come up with Theon Durden which I totally believe is true

and idk if this is obvious or not but the last warrior, azor ahai, and prince that was promised. are three different people and are also the three heads of the dragon. Dany (prince that was promised) Jon (azor ahai) and the last idk. but I have some ideas (def not Tyrion)

Regardless of the sex of the dead direwolf....it wasn't a Baratheon (stag) that killed Cat or Ned anyways, it was a Lannister.

I think the symbolism is with the # of pups vs. the # of Stark children. Nothing more than that.

It was Lannisters who were behind sending him to the Wall. The person who decided to have him killed instead was Joffrey Baratheon.

Regardless of the sex of the dead direwolf....it wasn't a Baratheon (stag) that killed Cat or Ned anyways, it was a Lannister.

I think the symbolism is with the # of pups vs. the # of Stark children. Nothing more than that.

Joffrey is officially Joffrey Baratheon, whatever his DNA actually is. He has both a stag and a lion as his sigils.

The stag and the direwolf killing/mortally wounding each other also works as a metaphor for the fact that Robert and Ned indirectly and unintentionally caused each other's deaths: Robert put Ned in harm's way by making him his Hand, and Ned warned Cersei he knew about the incest, causing her to decide to have Robert murdered (in Varys' words: "Your mercy was what killed the king").

The pups symbolize the Stark children, who are left to try to survive after their parent is killed, kickstarting their character arcs. Like I said, that doesn't work for Catelyn at all, since Robb dies before her. (And she was far away from and not in position to take care of Sansa, Arya, Bran and Rickon anyway - Ned's death was what kickstarts their arcs, not Cat's, which comes right in the middle of their arcs and doesn't change the course of their arcs other than Arya's and to extent Sansa's [bran and Rickon are faking their deaths and far on their way beyond the Wall/to Skagos, and the RW changed nothing about that], except for Robb, who is already dead. For Jon, Cat's death isn't even a particularly significant event, as opposed to Ned's arrest and death,)

Catelyn was the one who figured out the ominousness of the dead direwolf and stag right from the beginning. Ned, the actual subject of the foreshadowing, didn't realize it at all.

But the direwolf was not the mother of 5 pups, it was the mother of 6 pups, one of which had crawled away from the others after she died. If she was symbolic of Cat, then Jon would have to be her child.

The direwolf was clearly symbolic of Ned, which is why I think R+L=J may not be the truth, and that it might be N+L=J. Think about how un-judgmental Ned was of Cersei when he discovered her incest - he was driven to protect her from the consequences of her sins, because he knew he could not judge her.

That doesn't imply that at all. Ned was Jon's father, even if he was not his biological father. And the fact that the mysterious Ghost was found apart from the others (and is clearly different from them) could heave meant not that Jon was different from being a bastard, as everyone initially assumes, but that he's Ned's nephew.

I didn't catch R+L=J but a lot of little things that other people seem to have had trouble with was just reading for me, I didn't even realize I had figured something out.

Off the top of my head I knew the Hound didn't kill Arya, I knew how Arya and Jaqen killed their targets with the poisoned coins, I knew the alchemist was Jaqen, that Balon was killed by a fm, and thought it was completely obvious that the Red Wedding was coming, I didn't think that was surprising at all. I also knew Rickon was on Skagos, that Davos was alive, and that Sandor was the grave digger.

I'd say ever since Bran, GRRM has not been able to fool me with a character death, maybe its because of the POV "rule" or maybe its just how he writes them but the Bran fall the Arya axe to the head and the Davos execution order all read the same to me.

Ned isn't Jon's father either is he? However, as he poses as his father, that would make Jon Catelyn's stepmother. She doesn't exactly embrace the role, but it a part of who she is. Anyone who has done any breeding of animals, cats, dogs, hamsters, whatever, sometimes the mother rejects one of the kittens, pups, whatever. The white dire wolf was found apart from the rest of the pack. This is symbolic of Jon as is the fact that he has white fur and red eyes. Ice & Fire. The white wolf is also described as being the only one that has his eyes open.

What else is he described as? Silent. Ghost is the Quiet Wolf. Now, who else do we know who is called the Quiet Wolf?

Ned isn't Jon's father either is he? However, as he poses as his father, that would make Jon Catelyn's stepmother. She doesn't exactly embrace the role, but it a part of who she is. Anyone who has done any breeding of animals, cats, dogs, hamsters, whatever, sometimes the mother rejects one of the kittens, pups, whatever. The white dire wolf was found apart from the rest of the pack. This is symbolic of Jon as is the fact that he has white fur and red eyes. Ice & Fire. The white wolf is also described as being the only one that has his eyes open.

What else is he described as? Silent. Ghost is the Quiet Wolf. Now, who else do we know who is called the Quiet Wolf?

My theory is that Ned IS Jon's father, and it all fits perfectly if you consider that.

Another tie-in - I used to think the fact that Ned was having recurring dreams of Lyanna and the Tower of Joy while bedridden because future Bran was trying to access his memories…but now I think she was on his mind because he had discovered Cersei and Jaime's incest.

Theories I picked up on all by my lonesome?

Jon was not the son of Eddard...but that is as far as I got with it because I found this site the same day I had that realization...and my mind was BLOWN!

Theories I picked up on in the forum?

See Here

I have since came up with a few of my own theories (identity of Coldhands, Patchface's riddles, lone gunman). Or maybe I can't claim they are my own theories...but rather my own take or view.

Archived