Wow, I never noticed that, v. 9

Jon Weirgaryen

It was not until my first slow, deliberate re-read that I noticed how often 'grey mist' is pointed out by GRRM.

Are you familiar whith the Tales of Dunk and Egg? Do you know who the Three-Eyed Crow is?

How many eyes does Lord Bloodraven have? the riddle ran. A thousand eyes, and one. Some claimed the King's Hand was a student of the dark arts who could change his face, put on the likeness of a one-eyed dog, even turn into a mist. Packs of gaunt gray wolves hunted down his foes, men said, and carrion crows spied for him and whispered secrets in his ear. Most of the tales were only tales, Dunk did not doubt, but no one could doubt that Bloodraven had informers everywhere.

TMK

Just noticed that the Targaryen's are a bunch of pale skin/haired, bright eyed individuals who are considered a master race. Which is Similar to the Aryan Race. You can't even say Targaryen without saying Aryan.

I'm sure everyone else noticed this quickly.

Omg... a race of bright eyed pale skinned individuals who'd rather inbreed than mix with lower races? Who are also prone to stupidity and madness!?

Holy shit... mind blown!!!

[emoji33] Bow down [emoji33]

Lol... I really hope this was a coincidence/mistake... I really do...

Catelyn in AGOT "she felt as though her heart had turned to stone. Davos in ADWD goes from the the Borell`s (Sunderland) to the Manderlys new castle (Newcastle) Only interesting to someone from NE England or a premier league soccer fan.

Love the Newcaslte Sunderland thing! :D Can't believe I didnt see it before. Hopefully there was no horse punching involved :uhoh:

Gared from the prologue chapter in AGOT:

"“Everyone talks about snows forty foot deep, and how the ice wind comes howling out of the north, but the real enemy is the cold. ”

Excerpt From: George R. R. Martin. “A Game Of Thrones.” iBooks.

The same amount of snow falling during the current stage of the Winterfell Battle. Not anything fantastical, but interesting anyway.

Love the Newcaslte Sunderland thing! :D Can't believe I didnt see it before. Hopefully there was no horse punching involved :uhoh:

Just can`t see the Borells and Manderlys playing nice. George predicted the horse abuse with Gregor in AGOT, the mans a wizard :fencing:

Somewhere deep in AFFC, Qyburn informs Cersei that a puppetry show has grown popular in the streets of King's Landing. The show is about a bunch of animals living in a forest, ruled by a stag. But the lion eats the stag, bullies the rest of the animals, and is eventually eaten by a dragon. The symbolism is glaringly obvious, (to the point that savvy readers might insist it is a subversion). Somebody is either wishing for new Targaryens to appear, or preparing the public for a Targaryen return.

Thing is, as far as the public is concerned, the Targaryens are extinct. Words has surely reached Westeros that the Beggar King is dead, and the last anybody saw of Daenerys was her disappearing into the Red Waste. Some vague rumours run that a dragon queen has arisen in Slaver's Bay, but it doesn't seem like anybody are connecting this to Dany just yet. The few who know, are high, high up in the political game.

Varys, however, has his little Aegon scheme going. He's also a mummer by upbringing, has a lot of free time on his hands after disappearing, and it's implied he's still in King's Landing. He'd be the only one to know that a Targaryen return is actually not just plausible, but imminent. Looks like Qyburn's little message reveals what Varys has been up to after disappearing, apart from playing gaoler: scripting puppetry shows.

(Not sure if this was the right place to put it, but I feel it's too minor to deserve its own thread).

Oh man, I was a proponent of the Nettles-Brown Ben theory. I guess I better do some soul searching. In my defense I married a little brown girl and have three wee brown ones. (Did I just make it worse?) Look, when I was in the Army (like the Golden Company, but for real) we were all dressed up in green fatigues with cammo paint on our faces. The Drill Sergeant told us to sit on our hands and asked us all what color we were. We were all green. Now all y'all look around at the members of this forum and tell me what color you see.. ... That's right, green and blue and black. I know, I know, oh, oh, oh.

By the way I got where Brown Ben's two drops of dragon blood from. I just wonder if he might have a little more.

ETA: Oh Jiminy Cricket, I also suggested (mostly in jest) that the Dusky Woman is Missandei's mum... And who did wonder about Kojja Mo and Sarella?

That Drill Sergeant had Roose Bolton's eyes...

Brown Ben has more than 2 drops of Dragon blood in one of my theories he actually has Aegon the 4th's blood back again when one of his ancestors breeds with a black pearl

Cersei has three Tyrell girls, Marg and two of her cousins, accused of extra-marital sex. Before their imprisonment, they lived in the Maidenvault, which is famous for being the place where Baelor the Blessed imprisoned his three sisters so he wouldn't have sex with them.

In my first reread, I got to the second time you see the Ghost of High Heart and her prophecy about the maid with purple serpents in her hair (Sansa at Joffrey's wedding) and then the same maid killing a giant in a castle made of snow. And I was like "SANSA KILLS LITTLEFINGER!"

I love it because whenever I bring it up with people I feel cool because most people I know never thought of it. For some reason, a lot of people seem to forget what the sigil of House Baelish is.

Just noticed that the Targaryen's are a bunch of pale skin/haired, bright eyed individuals who are considered a master race. Which is Similar to the Aryan Race. You can't even say Targaryen without saying Aryan.

I'm sure everyone else noticed this quickly.

How do you figure Arya Stark in this?

The word aryan has a Sanskrit origin. Decades ago, one spoke of 'Indo-Aryan' languages, or 'Indo-Aryan civilization'. That has now been replaced with 'Indo-Iranian'.... Aryan comes from arya, meaning 'noble,' or 'one who does noble deeds, the honorable one' in Sanskrit. Iran comes from arya/aryânâ, and means the 'place where the arya people live'.

The 'aryan race' as a pale haired, bright eyed people from northern Europe was a creation of the 19th century, exasperated by fascism. All in all, I doubt the name Targaryen is an allusion to nazi germany. I don't see what the point would be, tbh. GRRM even said that he regretted making the Targaryen so pale, they were only supposed to look different, otherworldly.

Etymologically speaking, there is a continuity in GRRM's choices. Arya, Arianne, Sansa, Ashara, Shireen these all have a more or less Indo-Iranien origin. And this continuity, is noted on other levels as well. For Essos, Valyria and the Ghiscari empire in particular, a lot of historical parallels can be made with the Persian Achaemenid dynasty and ancient Greece. And that's without mentioning Zoroastrianism as the main inspiration behind R'hllorism.

I bet you that GRRM read about ancient Iran. In Herodotus' Histories (the main source for Persian history in the western world), Cambyses, the Persian 'barbarian' king is a drunken lunatic, who married his sister, murdered his brother, and made his subjects kneel/bow before him as if he were a god. Personality cult and the attribution of a godlike grace/status to a monarch, was a specifically Persian trait in antiquity.

And while the Egyptian practice is better known, according to the Blackwell encyclopedia of ancient history, brother-sister marriages were practiced by the achaemenids as well:

"Royal or dynastic incest was practiced in Egypt by the Pharaohs and the Ptolemies, and in ancient Near East in Elam, in Phoenicia, by the Achaemenid rulers of Persia, and the Hekatomnids in Caria. Religious tracts of Zoroastrian Iran expressly encourage incestuous unions between parents and children and between siblings for their supernatural benefits." Sabine Huebner, http://www.academia.edu,

...Obviously, that was a long time ago, since Iran hasn't been Zoroastrian since.... the...7th century? in any case. Endogamous marriages are still the norm today among the older Zoroastrian communities (and by that I mean only that marriages of mixed-religion are forbidden!)

The achaemenid kings also had a royal guard, called by Herodotus, the 'thousand immortals'. These professional elite warriors were treated as a single entity: when one died he was immediately replaced so that they numbered always one thousand.... I can't help but think of the Unsullied, whenever I read about them.... Herodotus notes the presence of many eunuchs at the court of the Persian kings; and that cities like Babylon, payed their yearly tribute in 'boys'.... The achaemenid empire had some of the best developed roads and postal services of the time, too, and, in a highly simplified version of history, from nomadic, cattle-herders, the Persians rose to conquer first the Median empire, and later the greater part of Asia....

I don't think anyone can argue against a inspirational/etymological continuity... (and I'm talking in a general, superficial sense and for diverse elements in the series, not of 1/1 matches.)...

NB: While we are on etymology, Aria apparently means 'silver' in welsh ;) Arianne otoh, either has an Iranian origin, or, it come from the latinized of Ariadne, daughter of Minos... either way, it fits with the general Greco-Persian background flair.

In my first reread, I got to the second time you see the Ghost of High Heart and her prophecy about the maid with purple serpents in her hair (Sansa at Joffrey's wedding) and then the same maid killing a giant in a castle made of snow. And I was like "SANSA KILLS LITTLEFINGER!"

I love it because whenever I bring it up with people I feel cool because most people I know never thought of it. For some reason, a lot of people seem to forget what the sigil of House Baelish is.

Arya, not Sansa, is the the maid that will slay Littlefinger, the savage giant...

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/112008-arya-not-sansa-is-the-the-maid-that-will-slay-littlefinger-the-savage-giant/

LOST MELNIBONEAN, I know who Bloodraven is, I've read D&E, I know he is associated with grey mists among other things. I was simply pointing out how often GRRM sneaks a grey mist into the pages. After all, the name of this post is 'Wow, I Never Noticed That'

And the Ghost of High Heart's words point more to Sansa. She sees a maid with purple serpents in her hair, dripping venom from their fangs. (Sansa at Purple Wedding) And later, she sees THE SAME MAID slaying a giant in a castle made of snow. (Paraphrasing) = Sansa.

How do you figure Arya Stark in this?

The word aryan has a Sanskrit origin. Decades ago, one spoke of 'Indo-Aryan' languages, or 'Indo-Aryan civilization'. That has now been replaced with 'Indo-Iranian'.... Aryan comes from arya, meaning 'noble,' or 'one who does noble deeds, the honorable one' in Sanskrit. Iran comes from arya/aryânâ, and means the 'place where the arya people live'.

The 'aryan race' as a pale haired, bright eyed people from northern Europe was a creation of the 19th century, exasperated by fascism. All in all, I doubt the name Targaryen is an allusion to nazi germany. I don't see what the point would be, tbh. GRRM even said that he regretted making the Targaryen so pale, they were only supposed to look different, otherworldly.

Etymologically speaking, there is a continuity in GRRM's choices. Arya, Arianne, Sansa, Ashara, Shireen these all have a more or less Indo-Iranien origin. And this continuity, is noted on other levels as well. For Essos, Valyria and the Ghiscari empire in particular, a lot of historical parallels can be made with the Persian Achaemenid dynasty and ancient Greece. And that's without mentioning Zoroastrianism as the main inspiration behind R'hllorism.

I bet you that GRRM read about ancient Iran. In Herodotus' Histories (the main source for Persian history in the western world), Cambyses, the Persian 'barbarian' king is a drunken lunatic, who married his sister, murdered his brother, and made his subjects kneel/bow before him as if he were a god. Personality cult and the attribution of a godlike grace/status to a monarch, was a specifically Persian trait in antiquity.

And while the Egyptian practice is better known, according to the Blackwell encyclopedia of ancient history, brother-sister marriages were practiced by the achaemenids as well:

...Obviously, that was a long time ago, since Iran hasn't been Zoroastrian since.... the...7th century? in any case. Endogamous marriages are still the norm today among the older Zoroastrian communities (and by that I mean only that marriages of mixed-religion are forbidden!)

The achaemenid kings also had a royal guard, called by Herodotus, the 'thousand immortals'. These professional elite warriors were treated as a single entity: when one died he was immediately replaced so that they numbered always one thousand.... I can't help but think of the Unsullied, whenever I read about them.... Herodotus notes the presence of many eunuchs at the court of the Persian kings; and that cities like Babylon, payed their yearly tribute in 'boys'.... The achaemenid empire had some of the best developed roads and postal services of the time, too, and, in a highly simplified version of history, from nomadic, cattle-herders, the Persians rose to conquer first the Median empire, and later the greater part of Asia....

I don't think anyone can argue against a inspirational/etymological continuity... (and I'm talking in a general, superficial sense and for diverse elements in the series, not of 1/1 matches.)...

NB: While we are on etymology, Aria apparently means 'silver' in welsh ;) Arianne otoh, either has an Iranian origin, or, it come from the latinized of Ariadne, daughter of Minos... either way, it fits with the general Greco-Persian background flair.

Thank you for the knowledge. I didn't know any of that.

I just realized that the date of House Reyne's disappearance and House Baelish's founding are VERY close to one another.

How do you mean? The house had been created by Petyr's grandfather, when he was knighted (though one could argue the house actually began with Petyr's great-grandfather, who came to the Vale as a sellsword). Petyr's father later fought with Hoster Tully in the War of the Ninepenny Kings (260).

The Reyne's were all killed in 261 AC, one year later.

Archived