College Football Offseason 2015: The Power of Army

Bronn Stone

Is the most intense O the big one made with hands over head or the small one with hands in front? Ten days until we find out. I cannot wait.

I was a friend of Jameis.

He taught me not all butt-fumbles involve a butt. Or an old Trojan.

I wish I knew his folly better.

From the last thread:

Just watched the mizzou game, they were lucky to win, thank goodness for our defense, it's a shame we're losing our defensive coordinator. :(

Mizzou has already hired Barry Odom, former Pinkel assistant and Mizzou grad who'd been DC at Memphis the last three years. Seems like an excellent choice. A lot of other schools were after him.

Early spread has Oregon has 7 point favorites, and the Over/Under at 70.5. I must say, that seems like an astonishingly high Over/Under, even knowing that both of the semifinals went higher than that.

So guys

Guys

GUYS

I just realized

Oregon is going to be playing for a national championship! Like, another one! Against a traditional rival conference! They're one of 4 teams (Alabama, Auburn, LSU) that have played for more than one championship in the last 7 years! That's kind of awesome.

Much more awesome than it would have been had these teams met in the Rose Bowl with the other two pretenders playing for the title, which almost certainly would have happened under the recent inferior system (someone mentioned this in the previous thread).

Rather taints the SEC run of 'championships' IMO. Not that I didn't already think they weren't for the most part tainted.

Please allow the committee to heavily weigh conference titles in future bids. It worked very well this year.

From the last thread:

Mizzou has already hired Barry Odom, former Pinkel assistant and Mizzou grad who'd been DC at Memphis the last three years. Seems like an excellent choice. A lot of other schools were after him.

I saw Memphis play ucla, they were lights our in every respect in that game. It's not Pendergast but it sounds good

Since 1998 only one BCS title game hasn't included a team from the south ('04 and that game included Oklahoma). I think this match up is going to be tremendous for the popularity of the sport.

Perhaps this whole idea of the all-powerful SEC ( a notion to which I have bought into at times) needs to be rejected.

All and all, a great day of football. Now if we can get an 8 team playoff with automatic power conference bids we might have something really special.

Honestly the '08 Oklahoma and '10 Auburn were the only elite opponents SEC teams faced during their 7 year championship run. ('09 Texas was legit too, but that game was a farce when Colt McCoy got hurt on the second series of hte game and they had to put in a true freshman).

The '06 and '07 Ohio State teams were bad, the '11 SEC rematch was a complete joke, and that '12 Notre Dame just ran about 4 wins above expectation in the regular season.

So the bowl game between Houston and Pittsburgh that virtually no one attended turned out to be pretty great.

Perhaps this whole idea of the all-powerful SEC ( a notion to which I have bought into at times) needs to be rejected.

As many outside the SEC have strongly argued (including within these threads), the myth of the SEC's absolute supremacy is largely a media creation. Once Urb won a couple of titles at Florida and Saban resurrected Bama from the dead, ESPN went all-in on marketing the SEC, promoting these superstar programs as unassailable football gods. By doing so they not only leveraged college football's massive popularity in the South, but also riled up proponents of the other conferences by generating an engine of constant controversy, debate and teeth-gnashing. It was a brilliant strategy and it worked.

Is the SEC a great conference? Most years, yes, but so are the Pac 12, Big 12 and B1G. ACC has its moments too. Truthfully during most years each conference can field at least one team that's capable of winning a title. That's why intelligent college football fans everywhere (and frankly, even most of the dumb ones) are thrilled about the playoff. As a fan of an admittedly second-rate SEC school, I am not bothered in the least by the absence of an SEC team in the championship. I just want to see the two best teams compete, no matter where they're from. I also agree that an 8-team playoff is the best way to accomplish that for certain.

Honestly the '08 Oklahoma and '10 Auburn were the only elite opponents SEC teams faced during their 7 year championship run. ('09 Texas was legit too, but that game was a farce when Colt McCoy got hurt on the second series of hte game and they had to put in a true freshman).

The '06 and '07 Ohio State teams were bad, the '11 SEC rematch was a complete joke, and that '12 Notre Dame just ran about 4 wins above expectation in the regular season.

I dunno, I think that you are getting some hindsight bias there. The 2006 Ohio State team was a very good and very deserving team, and 2007 was a weird year where everybody that was any good lost at the end of the season (which is why two loss LSU was able to get into the championship). So I think the SEC run of championships was very legit for 2006-2010. It was just then people started believing the hype, and 2011 and 2012 games were utter travesties.

I have no interest in an 8 team playoff. An 8 team Tournament of Champions, on the other hand, is a fine idea. I would like at least seven of the entries in an 8-teamer to have either won their conference or met certain criteria if independent. One and only one wild card slot, but even that I would forbid to any team that played in and lost a conference title game. Conference title games would really matter if a win meant you are in and a loss meant you are out. It effectively becomes another round of playoff.

With that format this year, the other four teams would have almost certainly been TCU, Baylor, Boise State and either Marshall or Memphis. I have no problem with the smaller fry 'winners' getting a shot ahead of one of the Mississippis or ASU or Gtech or someone like that. Those guys already had a shot and lost it. The big conferences have enough advantages already - and if the sport is to survive beyond 60 teams, something has to be given to the smaller schools or they'll vanish.

Much more awesome than it would have been had these teams met in the Rose Bowl with the other two pretenders playing for the title, which almost certainly would have happened under the recent inferior system (someone mentioned this in the previous thread).

Rather taints the SEC run of 'championships' IMO. Not that I didn't already think they weren't for the most part tainted.

Please allow the committee to heavily weigh conference titles in future bids. It worked very well this year.

I really wish the playoff had been around the past few years, especially 2012. That year the top 4 were Kansas State, Notre Dame, Alabama and Oregon. Both Alabama and Oregon crushed their opponents; with a playoff there would have been a dream matchup of Alabama Oregon. Oregon was really good that year, and Alabama was not invincible, they had lost to Texas a m. Instead the NCG was Alabama Notre Dame, a total beat down.

I have no interest in an 8 team playoff. An 8 team Tournament of Champions, on the other hand, is a fine idea. I would like at least seven of the entries in an 8-teamer to have either won their conference or met certain criteria if independent. One and only one wild card slot, but even that I would forbid to any team that played in and lost a conference title game. Conference title games would really matter if a win meant you are in and a loss meant you are out. It effectively becomes another round of playoff.

With that format this year, the other four teams would have almost certainly been TCU, Baylor, Boise State and either Marshall or Memphis. I have no problem with the smaller fry 'winners' getting a shot ahead of one of the Mississippis or ASU or Gtech or someone like that. Those guys already had a shot and lost it. The big conferences have enough advantages already - and if the sport is to survive beyond 60 teams, something has to be given to the smaller schools or they'll vanish.

100% Agreed.

I'm still thinking that the playoffs in college football should be kept small no matter what. The demand well outstripping supply is what made the regular season as relevant as it's ever been. 8 teams makes that significantly worse.

And 8 team champion tournaments where the champions are teams like Northern Illinois or Fresno State interest me not one bit.

So, why does college football allow bowl games to happen after New Years? I mean, I understand the "every team gets a bowl!" mentality. It makes money, so we live with dozens of mediocre bowls. I don't like it, but i understand it. But we just had all the best teams play a bunch of really good games yesterday. Instead of that being the culmination of the season (at least until the National Championship Game) now we're back to the showdown of crappy also rans? Sure Ohio State beat Alabama, but can Toledo beat Arkansas State? Can 7-5 Iowa defeat 6-6 Tennessee?

I mean, imagine if the NFL had the #9 NFC Team (Minnesota) playing the #7 AFC team (Houston) play an exhibition on some random weekday right after conference championship games. That would be awesome, right? We'd finally figure settle that burning "Minnesota or Houston?" question.

It's mostly timing. They can't play on the Sunday before NYE (because NFL) and there are a lot of bowls prior to NYE. So they have to go somewhere.

But man, do they largely suck.

Archived