College Football Offseason 2015: The Power of Army

Bronn Stone

8 team playoff within two years. Fan pressure for expansion is meaningless. But bowl administration and advertiser pressure will demand playoff expansion and that has cachet with the ncaa.

You just have to worry about killing the golden goose though. It's unfortunate we have to preserve bowls for the quarterfinal. Ideally, you would award Home field advantage to top four rated conference champions in the quarterfinal games and schedule them the week after the conference championship games. One of the power five gets eliminated in the quarter final and you have a rule disallowing rematch conference games in the quarterfinals.

I just read that Oregon is favored by a TD.

I have no idea what to expect from anything in college football anymore, but if I had to put money on it, I would bet that Oregon will cover that. What say you all?

No clue what to expect. Ohio State's D has been very good (and they have probably the best D-line in the country), but they also haven't been tested with anything close to what Oregon can do. I think Ohio State will put up about 35, but not sure if that will be enough.

I am not convinced that there is a net improvement in revenue with an 8 team playoff. The other bowls will become increasingly meaningless and attendance is nothing like it was 25 years ago. Part of this is that the schedules for bowls are not made as far in advance and travel plans are harder.

But the momentum is inevitable. Eight will happen this decade.

The attendance problem is almost certainly linked to how many bowls there are. It is fairly meaningless just to make one nowadays. If your team goes 6-6 and goes to the toilet bowl it isn't an exciting thing really, its just good that your team gets a little more practice in and a chance at a marginally better season and only the most hardcore of fans are going to make the trip to a mediocre destination to see it. It's a lot more exciting to go to one of the bigger ones and play another team that had a good season. For me, I love WVU football but I'm only considering getting on a plane if they make the playoffs (or previously a BCS bowl).

It´s not possible for the other bowls to become increasingly meaningless as they have absolutely no meaning.

How dare you! The Chickin' Fillets Tortillas Fajita Tostitos Fiesta KFC Bowl is an incomparable honor.

It´s not possible for the other bowls to become increasingly meaningless as they have absolutely no meaning.

There are still those of us who think being a Rose Bowl champion is a meaningful thing even in those years that the Rose Bowl is not part of the national picture. I am not sure I would bother to travel to any other Bowl game, even if Cal were playing for a title. But the first time Cal plays in the Rose Bowl, I will be there if I must sell every item I own. I have spent the past 32 seasons dreaming of that day.

In 2004, when it looked like Cal would get to go to the Rose Bowl, scalpers were anticipating $1000+ prices for every seat in the stadium. When Mack Brown pulled his nefarious plot with the connivance of the rest of the Big 12 and the coaches in that league conspired to move UT ahead of Cal, forcing the Rose Bowl to take them instead, those tickets ended up selling at half face value.

I did travel to the 1992 Florida Citrus Bowl - the first New Years Day bowl Cal played in during my lifetime and will never forget the joy of the Golden Bears upset victory over Clemson. These things once meant a lot. But the Granddaddy remains.

The attendance problem is almost certainly linked to how many bowls there are. It is fairly meaningless just to make one nowadays. If your team goes 6-6 and goes to the toilet bowl it isn't an exciting thing really, its just good that your team gets a little more practice in and a chance at a marginally better season and only the most hardcore of fans are going to make the trip to a mediocre destination to see it. It's a lot more exciting to go to one of the bigger ones and play another team that had a good season. For me, I love WVU football but I'm only considering getting on a plane if they make the playoffs (or previously a BCS bowl).

Yes and no. There was a time when Nebraska fans would travel to any Nebraska game. But back in the late 80s-early 90s, there were 6-8 weeks to plan a trip. These days you find out your bowl game on the 8th of December if you are lucky and it is much harder to throw one together.

That having been said, I was quite surprised when BYU visited Cal in the regular season over Thanksgiving weekend. There was a time when the stadium would have been PACKED with Mormons, but in truth they didn't really show up in any greater numbers than Northwestern had the year before. It may be the combination of improved home viewing and a greater focus on the national title has changed the landscape forever. To its detriment - road trips to Cal games are among my better memories of my college experience.

It may be the combination of improved home viewing and a greater focus on the national title has changed the landscape forever.

You've hit the nail on the head here, and its why attendance is suffering in every sport pretty much everywhere.

In my experience, NBA games are really the only live sporting events that are better to watch in person at the stadium than in the comfort of your home or at a bar. College football games are most definitely better to watch on television, unless you have really excellent seats.

I'll go to a road game if it's convenient. I've seen WVU play @ Pitt, Virginia Tech, and Texas. I'm thinking about going to the game @ TCU next year. But yea, the home viewing experience is pretty hard to beat these days so if I'm going to go too far out of my way it needs to be a once in a lifetime kind of game.

You've hit the nail on the head here, and its why attendance is suffering in every sport pretty much everywhere.

In my experience, NBA games are really the only live sporting events that are better to watch in person at the stadium than in the comfort of your home or at a bar. College football games are most definitely better to watch on television, unless you have really excellent seats.

I disagree wholeheartedly about the college sports experience. The entire campus atmosphere is electric. Maybe an on-campus bar is superior, but there is something about the pageantry, the bands, the crazy students that is lost on television. And college basketball in person >>> NBA in person.

I disagree wholeheartedly about the college sports experience. The entire campus atmosphere is electric. Maybe an on-campus bar is superior, but there is something about the pageantry, the bands, the crazy students that is lost on television. And college basketball in person >>> NBA in person.

College basketball at maybe 4 or 5 schools, and even then only for certain games.

As for the college sports experience. The gameday experience itself is awesome for CFB games, with tailgating and everything. Being in the stadium is a pretty big downgrade to watching the game comfortably elsehwhere, where you have access to food, drinks, instant replay, etc.

S John is just talking smack. The only reason he wants to watch the games on TV is to get his fill of Fall Out Boy. He belts out "REMEMBER ME FOR CENTURIES" whenever they play it. Like, every single commercial break.

I had to turn down the chance for tickets to the national championship and it is a bit of a bummer. Too much expense and too little flexibility with the work schedule. I still feel extremely lucky that I was able to catch two regular season Buckeye games. I put together the snapshots I took at the games and used Shutterfly to make a poster for my youngest son. He's really proud of it, hanging in his room, especially with how they are finishing the season.

You could not be more wrong, Sperry. A bunch of crazy college students with face paint >>> Jack Nicholson looking bored.

Again, a bunch of crazy college students with face paint is decidedly not the norm, even at the power programs. For a top 10 matchup, yes. For a random game, no.

The Cal student section is crazy at least four or five times a season. Against Cal-St Bakersfield, not so much. But when UCLA comes to town or Arizona or Stanford, he** yes. Doesn't matter that the Bears haven't seen a whiff of the top 10.

Also, when I watch Santa Clara- St Marys or Santa Clara-USF, those students are just as wacky as any outside of Cameron Indoor. The "only the big guys matter" is an NBA thing, not college.

Archived