College Football Offseason 2015: The Power of Army

Bronn Stone

Well I'm no expert on Oregon, but seeing that tOSU rush defense ranks 10th, passing 52nd, any hit to the passing game is big for this game. Carrington was #87, right? Dude had a beast of a game vs FSU. If Oregon can get the run game going, no worries. But, I believe their gonna be chucking the ball around. Any hit to the receiving core, is gonna have an effect.

This game will be a huge factor, (in my mind) as to where Marriotta is taking in the draft. I believe he'll go ahead of Winston, only because of Winston's off the field issues. But another great performance and he could be the overall #1.

This guy and Mitch McGary are the only two players I've ever heard getting busted by an NCAA drug test. The penalties for which are ridiculous, I might add: he'll be suspended the entire first half of next season as well.

As for him being stupid, I'm sure 80% of the players on both teams would have failed that drug test. He was just unlucky enough to get picked.

This guy and Mitch McGary are the only two players I've ever heard getting busted by an NCAA drug test. The penalties for which are ridiculous, I might add: he'll be suspended the entire first half of next season as well.

As for him being stupid, I'm sure 80% of the players on both teams would have failed that drug test. He was just unlucky enough to get picked.

I agree with the ridiculous penalties. However because NCAA drug testing isn't a surprise out of nowhere - granted random, and there are penalties, why on earth would you risk your run at the national championship, and beyond? He was tested before the Rose Bowl. They were in the top four for weeks. You can't take a month or two off for the NCG? Especially when it affects not only you, but your team, potentially a lot?

That one at least isn't so scary.

What is scarier is that I had heard three ducks didn't pass - Carrington, forde (now confirmed) and Troy hill, Oregons other starting corner. If he's out, Oregon is doomed.

That one at least isn't so scary.

What is scarier is that I had heard three ducks didn't pass - Carrington, forde (now confirmed) and Troy hill, Oregons other starting corner. If he's out, Oregon is doomed.

I guess we're seeing one potential downside to CFB playoffs. Partying after a first round win. I guess these coaching staffs really have to keep these kids on lockdown leading up to the big game.

I guess we're seeing one potential downside to CFB playoffs. Partying after a first round win. I guess these coaching staffs really have to keep these kids on lockdown leading up to the big game.

The ESPN article I read said Carrington was tested before the Rose Bowl. This is just delay in results getting out (or standard lab time, dunno).

Man that is so weird with the NCAA drug tests. Maybe things have changed, but all the football players smoked constantly when I was in school because it didn't really affect their performance like drinking would.

And it helps with the pain.

Those ranks for osus defense are not particularly relevant. They're not opponent adjusted. Look at the Alabama game for how to attack the osu defense.

I understand that, but Oregon is gonna have to throw the ball to win the game. And I seen team stats for Oregon recievers and Carrington was ranked 1st in all categories except one. Its a big deal. Though, if Mariotta still has a monster passing game, it very well could propel him to the overall #1 pick. I think Oregon has a good chance to win the game regardless of losing Carrington, they just have so many weapons, though are slim at WR. Anyhow I'm pulling for em, I love their style of football, and regardless of others opinions, those uni's are straight pimpin'! Now as SJD said upthread, they lost their other CB, now that could be a huge blow. Well champions find a way to win despite adversity. Go Ducks!

According to ESPN, Oregon cornerback Troy Hill didn't fail a test and will start Monday night. Apparently just a rumor....thank God.

Great news, trust me I'm a WVU fan, I bleead blue and gold. But I hate tOSU with a passion.

Although, quick story. When I was 21-22 we was at the Kick-Off classic, tOSU at WVU. They rocked us, we left early to go get drunk at "The Pit". 100 yds from stadium. Where they have bands and its a really rough crowd. Not the place a lone visiting team fan would want to venture during 4th quarter while their stomping our ass. My good friend lived in apartments right beside the pit. So we're on his porch and lo and behold her stumble a drunk tOSU fan right into the pit. People was throwing bottles and whatever they could find to hurl at him. I went and grabbed him and took him in the apartment.

This dude was the most grateful person I think I've ever encountered. We let him spend the the night, got him blitzed on Jaeger, bud light and many, many joints. Never seemed so one so grateful. I feel like I saved that mans life. Next day somehow he got in touch with his friends and they picked him up. Probably saved a life that night or at least kept him from being beating senseless for no reason.

For all the talk about Oregon's tempo and how it was soooo fast, I was somewhat shocked to find that they only average 2.2 more plays per game than tOSU. If their offensive tempo is faster than that stat would make it seem, is it because opponents offenses have been able to sustain drives against Oregon's D? Just looking for a little insight from Duck fans or any CFB fans that were fortunate enough to be able to watch more games than I did this year. Lol.

Sucks to hear about the suspension. Partly because I want to see both teams at their best, with their best and partly because it sucks to see a kids poor decision keep him from participating in an epic game that I'm sure means a lot to him.

Sooooooooooo....lol...not sure exactly what the hell this is, but after faking an injury,Joey Bosa turns into Beast from X-Men and explode-slams someone, Cardale Jones looks like he's in his second trimester, and Marcus Mariota basically sexually assaults Urban Meyer with help from a...hydra? Lol

http://youtu.be/5pY6xw60aHQ

For all the talk about Oregon's tempo and how it was soooo fast, I was somewhat shocked to find that they only average 2.2 more plays per game than tOSU. If their offensive tempo is faster than that stat would make it seem, is it because opponents offenses have been able to sustain drives against Oregon's D? Just looking for a little insight from Duck fans or any CFB fans that were fortunate enough to be able to watch more games than I did this year. Lol.

Lots of reasons.

Oregon doesn't play at warp speed all the time. In fact, the FSU game was the fastest per play game they've done all year - and possibly even two years. They've been doing a lot more substitution and changeouts this year especially. But they can turn it on in a flash. Or they can run the whole game with it like they did against FSU.

Oregon typically is killing clock late in games. The last 9 games have been decided by 24 or more points at the beginning of the 4th quarter. As a result, their drives take a while. And they can kill clock just as well as any other team can. That skews things significantly.

Another issue is that Oregon's offense gets a whole lot of big plays and not a lot of methodical drives. So their drive might take 2.5 minutes but only be 8 plays.

Measuring how many plays is probably not a great way of doing things either, as run plays take more time off the clock than pass plays do, typically. A better way to go is using some advanced measures - Bill Connelly just did an article about this the other day. From that you can see that Oregon gets plays off at about -5 seconds compared to the average. Ohio State gets at -.5.

I'm actually starting to think that this might be an achilles heel like it was against FSU. It's not going to be as bad, but OSU is talking about how they're working on extra conditioning this week. That won't work and doesn't work against an Oregon team that does this all year. FSU tried for 3 weeks to replicate it, and they were gassed at the end of the half.

My favorite stat from the Rose Bowl was that in the third quarter Oregon did not have a single third down attempt. The FSU defense was so bad in that period that they didn't even get close to stopping Oregon on a single down.

Kalbear- do you think Oregon match a big money offer for Scott Frost?

I doubt it. People don't tend to poach Oregon coordinators for some reason. A similar thing happened with Crowton, where LSU ended up hiring him away from Oregon.

We ended up bringing in Chip Kelly. So thanks, LSU!

This is, IMO, another big strength of Oregon - massive continuity and in general a very good ability to trade up. The list of OCs at Oregon is a pretty decent one - Tedford, Bellotti, Kelly all made it as head coaches or better. Helfrich, Frost. Crowton, who was at least decent. Ludwig was crap, but at least we got rid of him quickly when we went to the spread.

Archived