Game of Thrones on IMAX

Westeros

For those who have seen it on Imax: Did anything stick out that seemed different from watching it on the small screen? Like was any actor particularly better on the big screen? Did it suggest to you that part of GoT could work as a movie?

For those who have seen it on Imax: Did anything stick out that seemed different from watching it on the small screen? Like was any actor particularly better on the big screen? Did it suggest to you that part of GoT could work as a movie?

Watchers on the Wall was amazing. I worried that it wouldn't look as good on the big screen, but it looked great.

I actually found myself liking Bran's scenes in The Children. They work better, I think, following so closely with WotW than they do separate from it.

One scene that looked amazing was Brienne and the Hound. The environment they fought on was quite breathtaking, really.

Hello Everyone! Did you guys get posters? We did!

We just got home from the show. We got there early anticipating a long line. There wasn't a line at all... The theatre personnel were quite disappointed about that. Since there were only 8 people in the theatre at the time, yes, you read that right, they let us go in for the last half of the previous showing. So we got to see the Children and the trailer twice.

For the later showing, there were only about 30 people there and that included the two of us. It was a nice crowd (perhaps I should say group lol). Very friendly. What wasn't so nice was when they started to turn the lights on halfway through the trailer.

We had a very fun night and really enjoyed ourselves. We are so appreciative that we got to take part in this exciting event. It was a night to remember.

It can't get much better than that! Would you be so kind and tell us what it was like? Not the show itself, but if people dressed up as characters, any after parties? The actress who plays Arya likes to attend events 'incognito'. If the actors go the premiere, which cities do you think they would go to?

Visually, it was amazing. No celebs at the showing I saw in Manhattan, but there were quite a few people dresses up. A couple crowns, and tons of t shirts and hoodies with stuff from the show. Place went crazy when the season 5 trailer finished.

I saw it last night, the theater was probably a little over half full. I was surprised to see such a turn out, I didn't realize my area had so many Game of Thrones fans who'd go out of their way to re-watch episodes in a theater. The amount of detail that you miss when watching episode 9 on the small screen is incredible. It's dark so on a small screen you can't see so many trees beyond the wall, you don't pay any attention to how great the set design is at the wall. The sound also makes such a gigantic difference. I felt like I was right in the middle of the action as cliche as that sounds.

Watchers on the Wall was spectacular. I would watch that again in IMAX in a heartbeat. Unfortunately I didn't feel the same about the Children. The definition was incredible and detailed, but there was way too much shaky cam going on. Brienne vs the Hound was a great fight but parts of it (the part where there are five cuts in less than a second for example) looked ridiculous. Hopefully the showrunners get the directors of the episodes to cut this Bourne Identity crap out since it didn't upscale to IMAX so well. I would put money on them doing IMAX again with later episodes.

The amount of detail that you miss when watching episode 9 on the small screen is incredible. It's dark so on a small screen you can't see so many trees beyond the wall, you don't pay any attention to how great the set design is at the wall.

We found out by accident that if you change your lighting settings on your tv, it won't be so dark and you can see the detail better.

Where you sit in the theatre does make a difference. At first, we were closer to the screen than planned and there were lights directly overhead that stayed on all the time. The screen was so hazy and not clear at all.

When the seats we had wanted became available, we moved and the difference was like night and day.

For me, it was the giants and their mammoths. You could see just how big they are. And Cercei has crooked teeth lol especially the lowers. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near Cercei when she is angry. I could feel the intensity of her venom. It would be uncomfortable to be around her even when she is not a raging banshee.

I liked seeing Varys up close. He was so animated, rocking on his heels, and seeming so happy when talking to Tyrion about Dany. I have never seen that side of him before.

Movies would be great. There certainly is a high enough demand for them. We didn't have the turnout I thought we would. I think they didn't know about it. When I brought Game of Thrones up, a lot said they love it, but they didn't know about the Imax show. If you think about it, how would they know? I found out about it here. HBO isn't showing Games right now. Perhaps it was advertised there, but some people have purchased the dvd's and they might not have seen it. People who work and have young children may not have the time to be on the internet. What surprised me were the lack of teenagers and young people at the showing. What's up with that?

We found out by accident that if you change your lighting settings on your tv, it won't be so dark and you can see the detail better.

That was a bad example for me to use. On the IMAX screen it became obvious that during the first shot of Sam and Jon talking on top of the wall their horn is on top of what's obviously a metal flagpole painted for effect. It's very obvious Grenn's eyes twitch and the actor takes a small breath when he's supposed to be dead. That kind of stuff would have been a better example since you probably wouldn't notice it on the small screen regardless of brightness setting. I actually don't have a TV, I use a projector that gives me about a 60" screen, but I don't have cable so I always have to catch Game of Thrones when it airs at a friend's house. On my projector when I watch the bluray episodes I catch stuff like that all the time. How many people are breathing when they're supposed to be dead might surprise you lol.

For me, it was the giants and their mammoths. You could see just how big they are. And Cercei has crooked teeth lol especially the lowers. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near Cercei when she is angry. I could feel the intensity of her venom. It would be uncomfortable to be around her even when she is not a raging banshee.

I liked seeing Varys up close. He was so animated, rocking on his heels, and seeming so happy when talking to Tyrion about Dany. I have never seen that side of him before.

Movies would be great. There certainly is a high enough demand for them. We didn't have the turnout I thought we would. I think they didn't know about it. When I brought Game of Thrones up, a lot said they love it, but they didn't know about the Imax show. If you think about it, how would they know? I found out about it here. HBO isn't showing Games right now. Perhaps it was advertised there, but some people have purchased the dvd's and they might not have seen it. People who work and have young children may not have the time to be on the internet. What surprised me were the lack of teenagers and young people at the showing. What's up with that?

There doesn't seem to be too much fan love for GoT on the internet at the moment - it's in hibernation between seasons. The publicity for S5 is only just starting. maybe they'd get a better result if episodes were shown on Imax just at the end of a season.

I guess it comes down to a combination of different factors:

1) Marketing this year has been crap until now.

2) 17 dollars is a lot of money for a lot of people. Why pay that money for two old episodes and a trailer that's going to be online within an hour, when you could buy the entire season plus bonus content for three times that just a few weeks later?

3) 200 theaters sound like a lot until you remember how big the US and Canada are. I'm sure there are lots of people who would gladly have watched the two episodes in cinema if they didn't have to drive five hours just to get there.

4) Along the same lines, everyone who loves GoT but isn't living in US/Canada didn't have a chance to show up anyway.

5) There is such a thing as "too much". A lot of people get headaches or vertigo from watching movies in IMAX or in 3D. I am one of them. I'd rather drive halfway across town to watch a movie in 2D than to watch in in 3D or IMAX down the street.

Bottom line: If they had shown the movies in your everyday cinema in 2D instead, they could have shown it in more theaters, for a smaller price and with a bigger audience. Given that they made more than 600.000 dollars on opening night, though, I don't think HBO cares.

Archived