There may be Wild Dragons(n) at Hardhome. Is this where Cannibal fled perhaps?

TheMerlingQueen

Doing a re-read last night and I noticed something new.

When they talk about Hardhome and how it almost became the first town north of the wall and it's destruction it almost sound like it was laid to waste by a dragon.

No one knows what happened to Hardhome, it's been said that either it was invaded by Skagosi or slavers but the actual destruction of the town is more than I think they would have done. It's described as..

"burned with flames so hot and high that the watchers on the wall far to the South thought that the sun was rising in from the North. Afterwards, ashes rained down on the Haunted Forest and the Shivering Sea alike for almost half a year.

as the Night's Watch investigated they found

"A landscape of charred trees and burned bones, waters choked with swollen corpses and blood-chilling shrieks echoing from the cave mouths that pock the great cliff that looms above the settlement."

This sounds like dragon destruction to me.

PLUS

The great cliffs pockmarked with caves, sounds like a great dragon home to me.

The Shivering Sea bay that Hardhome has is known to be very deep (lots of big fish) with colonies of seals and sea cows close at hand. That could be a great source of dragon food.

The wildlings won't settle at the site and the Night's Watch leaves it alone as well one claiming it to be haunted by ghouls, demons, and burning ghosts.

Could Hardhome be where Cannibal has been hiding all this time?

TheMerlingQueen

• 2 months later...

No way because before Dany's eggs hatch all dragons were gone from the world the oldest living dragon on record was Balerion the black dread he/she lived to be 300 years old I believe Cannibal and Sheepstealer are long dead.

That is what of most people know. However people don't know about the dragons in Stygai or if there is a dragon at Hardhome.

The destruction scene sounds like dragon, but a fire so big as to be seen from the wall sounds like explosion. If it was a volcano, it was a supermassive one... And still, this isn't quite right. It's description matches the Doom very closely, so I'm thinking a magically enhanced or triggered volcanic event. I like the little heard of and much controversial "dragon bomb" theory, myself.

The Citadel seems to be involved. TWOIAF told us of a Maester who lives there for a few years, came back to the Citadel and wrote about it, conferred with the top Maesters, and then was last seen catching a boat for Eastwatch. I suspect he went back to either cause an explosion, or experiment with anti-Valyrian Doom technology.

I think the caves indicate firewyrm presence, or maybe just demons like in the Shadow by Asshai

Why would the Pyromancer spells get stronger with the return of dragons if there was already a living dragon.

There is no proof that the magic returned with the Dragons.

Bloodraven still lived and could Warg and use the Weirnet. The CotF were still alive. THe spells at the Wall still worked. The Others were still in the True North collectiing Craster's boys.

There was still magic in the world, just not very powerfull and not a lot of it.

All that is known is that magic is becoming stronger, and becuase of it, most likely the blood magic in Daenerys sacrifice accidently hatched the dragons.

Archived