The Poster Below , Version XIIIIII (I got them wrong just for you ;) )

N/A

Bizarrely, nail varnish. It reminds me of my childhood because I remember my mother doing her nails beside me on the couch, and I've always loved that smell and found it oddly comforting. Since I don't actually have nail varnish at home, I'm of course speaking of what I think of as home, which is what I remember when growing up when I still felt secure in the world.

TPB will do the same.

Man, this is a tough one . . . I guess I would pick the scent of aging apples. Not rotting, just sitting in a grocery bag (we had 8 old trees in the backyard and in September you could barely walk across the lawn without stepping on them) mellowing till my mother had time to cut them up and cook them for applesauce.

TPB will do the same.

I have watched some Dr. Who, but way back in the Tom Baker days. I have watched little since then and nothing that stuck. So if I had to pick an assistant, it would be Baker's, though I don't know her name or anything. But from SciFi in general, it's not close: I pick Gillian Boardman, high priestess and co-wife of Valentine Michael Smith from Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land. You grok? ;)

TPB has just found out that our universe will cease to exist in an hour. You are presented with a choice: die with the universe and everything in it or choose the imaginary world of your dreams - Oz, Middle Earth, Westeros - wherever you want to go. But you only have an hour to decide.

You cahnt get theah from heah, buy Kroist. (sorry, that's my absolute best Vermont accent. Some of the "r"s drop out, but there's a lot more to it than that and my mimicry skills just ain't up to it, sonny boy. :P )

Yeah Westeros is a little dicey and Middle Earth seems an inhospitable place for normal hoomids. I think I might pick Roger Zelazny's Amber. There you have a choice of many worlds and you can pick one where they worship you or leave you alone as you wish - if you can figure out how to move between them.

TPB will keep it going.

If I really had to pick from anywhere, I'd go and live on Larry Niven's Ringworld. It's huge, it's beautiful, and you get to have an awful lot of sex. I'm slipping up, though, because I've not answered in Glaswegian:

Ye see man, whit ah'm sayin is...that fuckin Ringworld man, it's pure ginormous. Thirs some amount ay fanny oan it, man, and ye can go aroond fir days oan the place and ye've only seen a part ay it, it's pure enormous. The sky man, it's fuckin mental, they've goat these pale and dark strips above yir heid that go oan fir miles in a big arch shape, and ah cannae figure oot how they dae it, but if ye get a trip or a swallae man, ye can just stare at it fir 'ooirs.

TPB will also keep it going.

The Big Lebowski. Fucking ingenious.

TPB will do the same.

god i dig this flic...i just watched it myself... gotta abide....

I have watched some Dr. Who, but way back in the Tom Baker days. I have watched little since then and nothing that stuck. So if I had to pick an assistant, it would be Baker's, though I don't know her name or anything. But from SciFi in general, it's not close: I pick Gillian Boardman, high priestess and co-wife of Valentine Michael Smith from Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land. You grok? ;)

TPB has just found out that our universe will cease to exist in an hour. You are presented with a choice: die with the universe and everything in it or choose the imaginary world of your dreams - Oz, Middle Earth, Westeros - wherever you want to go. But you only have an hour to decide.

I grok you my water brother...

ok to answer Snark: while ringworl is da cool one for me too, podna...tis PERN pour moi, ...co faire? Dragons...fuh shore, for true, cher...

TPB will keep it going for a moment longer... :smoking:

Eeeee-aaaaarrrrr, thar's places t' go and then thar's Ringworld, lad. Tha can walk for days on 't, and never go by shops, Sky is miles and miles above tha head, and paints moi lahnds in different shades at noight-toime. Eeehhh, 'tis gradely.

TPB will tell us the last highly rated album they were disappointed in.

I grok you my water brother...

indeed.

Gill & VM Smith. My favorite alltime couple. :)**

Disappointed in an album?

Kroisty!

Hmmm, let's see . . . something by the St\ones maybe?

No wait, I remember.

Sadly it was my group,the Who.

It wasn't really all that heralded/touted - it was the Lifehouse Project. That's the tapes that Who's Next was extracted from. Lifehouse was to be Pete's follow up to Tommy, but he had a falling out with Kit Lambert who had been instrumental in guiding him through Tommy. He was a complete mess, and so was the Lifehouse thing. I've listened to it once in the 15 years I've had it.

TPB will do the same.

** fictional

It's a contentious choice, but Sign O' the Times, by Prince. I still find it, since buying it a few years ago, horribly tinnily mixed and overly primitive in terms of both its minimalism and its use of artificial percussion. The demo half of the album sounds like a bunch of obvious demo tracks. The rest of it isn't much better put together and produced. Prince obviously rush released the album before being done with it because he'd been cornered by his record company over the expenses he'd incurred by pissing about way over schedule while insisting he did his own mix. Since he threw about half the tracks off the record, he obviously added its penultimate extended jam to the tracklist in order to bulk it up to the intended double album so his company could get its costs back. None of it is bad, but very little of it stands out. Even its famous single, U Got the Look, is better in the later extended single mix. The NME just before the record was released said more or less what I've said, and for once I do think they were right. It's better than the wildly overproduced Lovesexy, which followed it, whose overproduction is shambolic, but that actually has better songs. It's nowhere near as good as Purple Rain.

TPB will do the same.

Death .

Eta: to elaborate what I mean by death being beautiful ; life ends , like all things ,and that makes every moment different, every moment special because we will never have one just like it ever again ,my body will never be the same , my eyes will never shine the same , I will grow and I will change because of that and i'll be fine again . It's what it means to be alive and that can never be without death's blanket that covers us all .

Eta: I think the elves in lotr should have the highest suicide rate ever .

tpb will do the same

The only other highly rated album I own that I don't listen to/enjoy is Exile on Main Street by the Rolling Stones. But that's not to say I will never like it, I just can't get into it yet.

I hear you. Rolling Stone mag did a best 100 albums of the last 20 years back in 1985 and they had Exile high on their list. It's a very uneven album, imo. I really like Happy, and Rocks Off, but after those two it falls off precipitously.

Man there's so much.

1) love the internet. Love being able to discuss all kinds of silly things with people from around the globe. Mucho mi gusto.

2) love having a child who is grown up and we have wonderful conversations - when she isn't trying to slap-box me to death. :P

3) love being past a lot of the frantic aspects of life that come with youth and to a lesser extent middle age.

lets keep it going,

TPB will also tell what they love about life.

Looking at attractive girls. My sex life is shot to hell so all I can do is look at them.

Listening to good music.

Watching good films.

Reading good books.

Eating good food.

That's it.

TPB will tell us of a serious injury that's left a permanent scar or mild deformity they suffered while young. I'll go first. My middle toe on the right foot was severed at the age of three in a door. At that age, the bones in your fingers and toes are still growing, to the extent that the toe did grow back, but I have an ingrown toenail on it, and it's slightly shorter than it should be.

Also, welcome back RhaenysBalerion, where have you been?

Aww, thanks, Leap :) I was just trying to focus on real life a bit more. Wean myself off of spending too much time online.

Anyway, umm, I have a few chicken pox scars from when I had chicken pox.

Tpb will tell us what they are most paranoid about.

I wouldn't say I'm paranoid about anything, but Mrs. Chicken would say I am. I think I have realistic concerns.

But they're political so I will spoiler them

A few extremely wealthy people own like 95% of the world's media - they control the news, movies, books - all of it. All the media output reflects their views.

I find this a very unhealthy state of affairs, but I do not obsess about it.

Let's keep the happy line moving, TPB will do the same.

Archived