Confirmed: Coldhands is not....

jaimereborn

I think Benjen=Coldhands still stands. This is not a definitive debunking. GRRM seems to be answering the longer question about Bran not recognizing him as Benjen because he doesn't see his face fully with the "NO". I find it unlikely he would answer the blatant speculation about Coldhands identity that bluntly - I mean after that wouldn't the editor just speculate the crap out of everything if she can get straight answers for them?=

I think Benjen=Coldhands still stands. This is not a definitive debunking. GRRM seems to be answering the longer question about Bran not recognizing him as Benjen because he doesn't see his face fully with the "NO". I find it unlikely he would answer the blatant speculation about Coldhands identity that bluntly - I mean after that wouldn't the editor just speculate the crap out of everything if she can get straight answers for them?=

I disagree with you, but your point is a very good one. GRRM can be tricky that way, like how "The Hound" is dead but every word side steps if Sandor Clegane is.

Who knows it could be simple as something like..........It is not Benjen, because he is Cold Hands now, benjen no longer exists

You picked up on the sarcastic Darrio comments but take that one seriously? Same long running sarcastic joke.........

Just curious who is your guess?

Text doesn't show sarcasm. Should I have said no or no?

But my guess? He is no one important. Call him a meat suit or whatever...ultimately...he is a thrall of Brynden Rivers. If he must be someone...he is a member of the Raven's Teeth, whom Brynden Rivers commanded...and whom he would have trusted. When the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch goes on a Ranging...then he has to go out with trusted personnel. Logic would assume that the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch would appoint trusted people in key positions...and since 200 members of the Raven's Teeth took the black with BR...one would assume he appointed his people in key positions such as the positions that go on Rangings.

CH may not be a member of the RT...but it's a logical assumption that he might be.

The Night's King was a Lord Commander in his "past life"...why would he help anyone associated with the Night's Watch if he was the Night's King? Wouldn't he hate or despise the Night's Watch?

I disagree with you, but your point is a very good one. GRRM can be tricky that way, like how "The Hound" is dead but every word side steps if Sandor Clegane is.

Who knows it could be simple as something like..........It is not Benjen, because he is Cold Hands now, benjen no longer exists

The editor's job is to improve the copy. Check for spelling and grammar, yes, but also for phrase usage, continuity, flow, tone, that sort of thing. The editor is one of the people whom the author needs to have understand the story front and back. The editor is not a "fan" and is not a traditional reader. It's a job. The author is not going to play word mindfuck games with the editor whose job it is to improve and fix problems in the copy.

whoops on the double post.

The fact that the show has not showed him at all (especially with Brans journey to the crow, and the situation where Sam and Gilly were alone)

So he very well could have no identity and as said above, just a figure created by blood raven etc

But that still doesn't fit with the main reason people were skeptical of Benjen being Coldhands before this new development: Leaf says of Coldhands "they killed him long ago".

But that still doesn't fit with the main reason people were skeptical of Benjen being Coldhands before this new development: Leaf says of Coldhands "they killed him long ago".

As we know, leaf is more than a 100 years old, so long ago means hundreds of years ago. The body might belong to Dunk the lunk

The editor's job is to improve the copy. Check for spelling and grammar, yes, but also for phrase usage, continuity, flow, tone, that sort of thing. The editor is one of the people whom the author needs to have understand the story front and back. The editor is not a "fan" and is not a traditional reader. It's a job. The author is not going to play word mindfuck games with the editor whose job it is to improve and fix problems in the copy.

Ha ha ha! Gods but I would laugh if Martin's own editors are left in the dark speculating, "What the fuck is going on?" "I have no fucking idea!" "Well this is Martin after all." "Yeah, but we have a job to do!"

Oh and I think this thread is funny. Initially I never made any connection that Coldhands was Benjen, but everyone assured me he was. Now you are all like, "Nah, I never believed it in the first place," trying to save your rep. Ha ha ha, liars!

I can't believe Coldhands is not Benjen!!!! Who is Coldhands and what is he doing with Bran and why do we trust him!??! How can I be surprised by a book when I am not reading it!!! WE FORGOT THE SPOILER TAGS

Also GRRM's editor uses smileys!!! THAT'S A PROFESSIONAL SMILEY!!

Text doesn't show sarcasm. Should I have said no or no?

But my guess? He is no one important. Call him a meat suit or whatever...ultimately...he is a thrall of Brynden Rivers. If he must be someone...he is a member of the Raven's Teeth, whom Brynden Rivers commanded...and whom he would have trusted. When the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch goes on a Ranging...then he has to go out with trusted personnel. Logic would assume that the Lord Commander of the Night's Watch would appoint trusted people in key positions...and since 200 members of the Raven's Teeth took the black with BR...one would assume he appointed his people in key positions such as the positions that go on Rangings.

CH may not be a member of the RT...but it's a logical assumption that he might be.

The Night's King was a Lord Commander in his "past life"...why would he help anyone associated with the Night's Watch if he was the Night's King? Wouldn't he hate or despise the Night's Watch?

So you say "no" when the Daario is Cold Hands posts pop up?

I know its not even close to the main reason. I was just making the point on how GRRM can be tricky.

Damn for all we know he could have wrote that down on purpose and let it leak out wanting people to see it. Who knows with him, I def wouldnt put that kind of thing past him though

I for sure disagree on you saying the editor is not a fan. People who write and do this kind of work in general love what they do for the most part

I for sure disagree on you saying the editor is not a fan. People who write and do this kind of work in general love what they do for the most part

I don't mean "not a fan" in the sense that they don't enjoy the work and doing the reading. I mean "not a fan" as in, not someone the author has any interest in or incentive to misdirect, hold out on or keep in the dark. GRRM might mislead a "fan" but he's not going to mislead or fib to his editor. If a "fan" stands up and asks if Benjen is Coldhands, GRRM may give a vague answer or a non-answer. But when an editor asks if Benjen is Coldhands, GRRM is going to give an answer and it will be the truth.

Archived