The Riverlands Web V.6

Booknerd2

Oh, man, I don't remember those. There are lines to connect directly to the QI happenings?

Damn, you're good.

Oh, sorry, I was happily adding more. :)

Sandor calls Arya "the little sister" (because she's Sansa's little sister) but that's also what Jon calls Arya, little sister. And he gives her a dagger, to hold the place of Needle until she finds it again: "The Hound hefted the knife in his hand, then flipped it toward Arya. She caught it by the hilt, slid it through her belt, and felt a little better. It wasn’t Needle, but it was steel."

Some Catelyn things, he says, "It’s going to be me who hands you over to that mother of yours." And then, "Do I look like your bloody mother?" which is just throwing it out there again. And when Catelyn is dying, she worries about her children, and when Sandor is dying, he has been taking care of Arya and worries about Sansa.

(The show had him hold the Valyrian steel blade when defending Arya, like Catelyn did when defending Bran.)

When she backs into him, Sansa thinks he's her father at first (of course, that's very Beauty and the Beast with them, a hand off there). He looks after her when Ned dies. And people think he's Arya's father. "Get her a dog, she'll be happier for it" and "I wish I had a good mean dog" and there he is, looking out for both of them.

Little things, but his story is very much focused on helping the two Stark daughters in the absence of their family.

Also he has similar Sandorspeak lines for the sisters, when he's trying to help, and they just don't understand! :lol:

To Sansa (the bird peeps): "Now fly away, little bird, I’m sick of you peeping at me.”

To Arya (the wolf snaps): "And so do you, she-wolf. So stop whimpering and snapping at me, I’m sick of it."

Also to go with the stuff I wrote before, foreshadowing for kids, at the same point in the story it's called out that Sandor is "fathering" Arya, it's called out that Sansa is "mothering" Sweetrobin and there's this:

Sandor and Arya:

Sandor Clegane lifted her onto Stranger's back as if she weighed no more than a doll.

Sansa and Sweetrobin:

I could carry him myself, Alayne thought. He is no heavier than a doll.

Perhaps SR be obnoxious at the the tourney and she'll use Sandor's Guaranteed Discipline MethodTM bean SR in the back of the head with an axe. Not too hard tho, he is a lord.

:)

<snip>

Bookie, you had me laughing throughout, you even quoted Elvis! :lol:

And we can also say Myranda made it pretty damn clear who she wants and doesn’t want.

Myranda says, My Harry.

Before Sansa called Joffrey my prince, a betrothal her father arranged. And now she repeats Myranda's "my Harry" and calls it "a betrothal that was my father's doing."

Ruh roh.

In La Belle et la Bete, Beauty calls the Beast, my Beast! I always figured we'd get a "my Hound" from Sansa, too. So maybe some setup for that. And perhaps a hint, GRRM signed Rory McCann's books, "To My Hound"...

“You’ll hunt and hawk together, and she’ll give you her favor to wear in tournaments. Before long, you will have forgotten me entirely.”

Oh, God, I thought in that instant: Sansa, like you and HIM could take that advice yourselves. Sound advice, but not working for either of you. You know it’s not that easy. You have not forgotten him and Sandor hasn’t forgotten you. Very poignant moment right there.

I thought the same thing. She thinks Sandor has forgotten her. I wouldn't bet on it, kiddo.

In comparison, at the Hand's Tourney, Sansa places a comforting hand on Sandor's shoulder as he tells her the tale of his burns and this is the true, genuine favour she has given. I have also always thought of Sandor telling Sansa the story of his burns, the story he has never told anyone, as the SandorSpeak

equivalent of crowning Sansa as his Queen of Love and Beauty (but let's keep that quiet from Stranger). I feel it is very significant that he then goes on to win that tourney.

Oh, this is beautiful. Me likey...

Enjoyed the political discussion, Wizz the Smith, LongRider, Mad Madam Mim. Of course I'm hoping she'll break free of Littlefinger soon for several reasons, but mostly because I'm losing interest! Something's got to give, and soon, for this reader. I want the same thing for Arya, too. I think he's gone on a bit too long with Alayne and No One.

'' Oh it's in there'' - Agreed, it does seem to be. I miss these subtle clues, but Le Cygne seems to be tuned in to them [ her list for the Alayne chapter is cool ] So I'm with you, all these things are there, and there for a reason.

Like with him, when he said to Arya, at least you can look me in the face, you knew he was talking about Sansa.

I have another. Randa mentioned to Alayne that she's wild about Harry so, using the formula above, could one Randy Randa find herself in a ~

cough cough~ 'compromised' position with Horrible Harry? What fun that would be! LF told Sansa to watch out for her, in addition to being a delightful gossip is she a beau stealer as well? Ah tourneys, where knights act all knightly and ladies all lady like and murder, stolen kisses (and more) and much courtly drama ensues. What's not to like?

Love it! Such potential! Randy Randa! :lol:

Also to go with the stuff I wrote before, foreshadowing for kids, at the same point in the story it's called out that Sandor is "fathering" Arya, it's called out that Sansa is "mothering" Sweetrobin and there's this:

Sandor and Arya:

Sansa and Sweetrobin:

Yeah, and I love the multi-faceted Sansa stuff that Sandor sees in her and receives from her. She is both maiden and mother in most respects. Translation: He knows she is the total package. A good one and a keeper. lol. He doesn't just see the lovely maid, he sees all the other great qualities too. For every compliment he pays her to Arya and at the inn during his drinking bout when he almost gets his ass killed, we can only imagine the positive things he thinks but hasn't said out loud.

Oh, sorry, I was happily adding more. :)

Sandor calls Arya "the little sister" (because she's Sansa's little sister) but that's also what Jon calls Arya, little sister. And he gives her a dagger, to hold the place of Needle until she finds it again: "The Hound hefted the knife in his hand, then flipped it toward Arya. She caught it by the hilt, slid it through her belt, and felt a little better. It wasn’t Needle, but it was steel."

Some Catelyn things, he says, "It’s going to be me who hands you over to that mother of yours." And then, "Do I look like your bloody mother?" which is just throwing it out there again. And when Catelyn is dying, she worries about her children, and when Sandor is dying, he has been taking care of Arya and worries about Sansa.

(The show had him hold the Valyrian steel blade when defending Arya, like Catelyn did when defending Bran.)

When she backs into him, Sansa thinks he's her father at first (of course, that's very Beauty and the Beast with them, a hand off there). He looks after her when Ned dies. And people think he's Arya's father. "Get her a dog, she'll be happier for it" and "I wish I had a good mean dog" and there he is, looking out for both of them.

Little things, but his story is very much focused on helping the two Stark daughters in the absence of their family.

Also he has similar Sandorspeak lines for the sisters, when he's trying to help, and they just don't understand! :lol:

To Sansa (the bird peeps): "Now fly away, little bird, I’m sick of you peeping at me.”

To Arya (the wolf snaps): "And so do you, she-wolf. So stop whimpering and snapping at me, I’m sick of it."

Oh, "the sister", "little sister" always cracked me up. It is like the point you made with Sansa thinking "he" in regard to Sandor. It is like something he says without saying the word Sansa because it has such meaning to him. It is almost used sweetly as a sort of euphemism-like manner. Wish I could explain this better but I always found it funny. It is like his way of addressing Arya, a different individual, but he still gets to make a Sansa reference, so he can hear him say it out loud. lol! Maybe that's better.

And the bottom line is Sandor and Gendry did take good care of the Stark girls, are genuine, tried to help them, befriend them, support them, etc. They both met Ned, Sandor knows both girls well, Gendry is with the mother….which the irony still kills me, because we first meet him with Ned. And I am sure Sandor will meet LS.

I will never forget when he snaps her the dagger without a blink of an eye or hesitation, like nothing. I laughed out loud. Because they were partners in crime for sure after the tavern take-down brawl, and this sealed it. It was so funny! Still is.

I remember on a first read how effective the writing is. You feel as a reader Sansa and Arya's isolation, loneliness, and the tension so deeply. They have nobody for a long time or it seems that way. And Sandor and Gendry coming into their story was such a relief. How my view changed when it was obvious they had their backs and then some. And by the time we get to the story of the Webbers, they have no idea how many are looking for them and want to help despite anything. A good feeling. I can't wait until the girls realize how much help is really out there. It will be a lovely part of the next books.

Yeah, and I love the multi-faceted Sansa stuff that Sandor sees in her and receives from her. She is both maiden and mother in most respects. Translation: He knows she is the total package. A good one and a keeper. lol. He doesn't just see the lovely maid, he sees all the other great qualities too. For every compliment he pays her to Arya and at the inn during his drinking bout when he almost gets his ass killed, we can only imagine the positive things he thinks but hasn't said out loud.

Good point, and agree. He sees everything. The total package. Her qualities, her potential, her good, her bad, everything. He's the one who really sees her for who she is. And she serves the same role in the story for him.

And the bottom line is Sandor and Gendry did take good care of the Stark girls, are genuine, tried to help them, befriend them, support them, etc. They both met Ned, Sandor knows both girls well, Gendry is with the mother….which the irony still kills me, because we first meet him with Ned. And I am sure Sandor will meet LS.

That is interesting, first we meet Gendry through the father, now he's with the mother. Everyone needs a little help, and they tried to help. And it wouldn't be much of a story without meaningful connections...

Enjoyed the political discussion, Wizz the Smith, LongRider, Mad Madam Mim. Of course I'm hoping she'll break free of Littlefinger soon for several reasons, but mostly because I'm losing interest! Something's got to give, and soon, for this reader. I want the same thing for Arya, too. I think he's gone on a bit too long with Alayne and No One.

~~~~snip~~~~

Preach it Sistah! Enough with the LF and the HoBW already! There needs to be some Stark asskicking and taking names right quick.

A tourney is a great place to start, no?

Oh, "the sister", "little sister" always cracked me up. It is like the point you made with Sansa thinking "he" in regard to Sandor. It is like something he says without saying the word Sansa because it has such meaning to him. It is almost used sweetly as a sort of euphemism-like manner. Wish I could explain this better but I always found it funny. It is like his way of addressing Arya, a different individual, but he still gets to make a Sansa reference, so he can hear him say it out loud. lol! Maybe that's better.

I will never forget when he snaps her the dagger without a blink of an eye or hesitation, like nothing. I laughed out loud. Because they were partners in crime for sure after the tavern take-down brawl, and this sealed it. It was so funny! Still is.

You do actually explain the sister reference well. She's not just anyone's sister, she's the sister of his little bird, and that's important.

When he throws Arya the dagger she had moved beyond 'little bird's sister' to 'little bird's sister Arya', as he had moved from the Hound to Sandor, for her. That's how I read it anyway.

Great posts! Giggles at Randy Randa!

Sandor really does care and have the best interests of the girls. I love the bolded comment!

Re. the Hand's Tourney and upcoming events in the Alayne chapter...

I completely missed this double entendre from Sansa....

“You are comely enough, I grant you. When Lady Anya first told me of this match, I was afraid that you might look like your father.”

“Little pointy beard and all?” Alayne laughed.

“I never meant… “

“I hope you joust better than you talk.”

For a moment he looked shocked. But as the song was ending, he burst into a laugh. “No one told me you were clever.”

Jousting, thrusting, phallic lance's agggghhhhhhhhhh can't believe I missed it!

So not only has Sansa made the connection to Sandor's reference to 'singing' but seems to have also grasped the meaning of the knife and sword to her throat and the flirt-o-bot is using this against Harry.

It is also setting up an opportunity for comparison between Harry and Sandor and their "jousting" prowess. Sandor has already proved himself, however considering Harry has already been described as "nowise skilled enough", I don't fancy his chances at erm....jousting :leer:

So not only has Sansa made the connection to Sandor's reference to 'singing' but seems to have also grasped the meaning of the knife and sword to her throat and the flirt-o-bot is using this against Harry.

It is also setting up an opportunity for comparison between Harry and Sandor and their "jousting" prowess. Sandor has already proved himself, however considering Harry has already been described as "nowise skilled enough", I don't fancy his chances at erm....jousting :leer:

Since I'm rather obsessed by such references in the series, I have already given that much thought. :leer:

There's also the time that she defended Sandor's "jousting", when the women were gossiping about Sandor and Kettleblack. It was so cute, she was just blindly, how can this be? Nobody does it better than Sandor... Cue this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy-c8aAntWA

And later, she said she'd dream a sweet dream and there would be women gossiping at the well and swords ringing, and then in this chapter, she notes the same thing. (The dogs bark when ooh la la happens, Lysa's singing set the dogs to barking, that didn't happen in this chapter.)

Of late Ser Osmund had taken Sandor Clegane's place by Joffrey's side, and Sansa had heard the women at the washing well saying he was as strong as the Hound, only younger and faster. If that was so, she wondered why she had never once heard of these Kettleblacks before Ser Osmund was named to the Kingsguard.

I will dream a sweet dream, and when I wake there will be dogs barking, women gossiping beside the well, swords ringing in the yard.

Outside the window she could hear the laughter of the washerwomen at the well, the din of steel on steel from the ward where the knights were at their drills. Good sounds.

Also, of course, during the jousting at the tourney, she knew the Hound would win. But wants Harry to lose.

And she's supposed to be from Gulltown, there's the Unkiss Song:

Off to Gulltown to see the fair maid, heigh-ho, heigh-ho

I'll steal a sweet kiss with the point of my blade, heigh-ho, heigh-ho

I'll make her my love and we'll rest in the shade, heigh-ho, heigh-ho

Great posts! Giggles at Randy Randa!

Sandor really does care and have the best interests of the girls. I love the bolded comment!

Re. the Hand's Tourney and upcoming events in the Alayne chapter...

Since I'm rather obsessed by such references in the series, I have already given that much thought. :leer:

There's also the time that she defended Sandor's "jousting", when the women were gossiping about Sandor and Kettleblack. It was so cute, she was just blindly, how can this be? Nobody does it better than Sandor... Cue this:

And later, she said she'd dream a sweet dream and there would be women gossiping at the well and swords ringing, and then in this chapter, she notes the same thing. (The dogs bark when ooh la la happens, Lysa's singing set the dogs to barking, that didn't happen in this chapter.)

And she's supposed to be from Gulltown, there's the Unkiss Song:

Also, of course, during the jousting at the tourney, she knew the Hound would win. But wants Harry to lose.

Jousting and long swords, and who is skilled with both?

And what does LF hand out?

Little knives. Hahahaha! Can't get much 'action' with those!

:lol: I will never see James Bond in the same light again...phallic weaponry galore!

My 'saucy' radar must be tuned into the wrong frequency, I'm glad you are on the case.

Great spot about her wishing for Harry to lose compared within knowing Sandor would win. Yet even more evidence that Harry is not the one for her.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! A Littlefinger indeed! :fencing:

Long swords! :lol: She also called Littlefinger a "small man"... and when she saw him naked at the bedding, she had no response... other than to dream of Sandor in bed with her, "bigger than Tyrion"...

On the roof of the Red Keep before the BBW, Sandor did put his longsword against Sansa's neck, and she didn't flinch. He put his knife to her throat and she sang him a song.

Littlefinger hands out daggers to others, not to Sansa. Opps.

On the roof of the Red Keep before the BBW, Sandor did put his longsword against Sansa's neck, and she didn't flinch. He put his knife to her throat and she sang him a song.

Littlefinger hands out daggers to others, not to Sansa. Opps.

She not only didn't flinch, she wanted to pet him!

And then his dagger, that sounds better than knife, d is for... And then she cupped his cheek.

These two are too much.

:lol: I will never see James Bond in the same light again...phallic weaponry galore!

My 'saucy' radar must be tuned into the wrong frequency, I'm glad you are on the case.

Great spot about her wishing for Harry to lose compared within knowing Sandor would win. Yet even more evidence that Harry is not the one for her.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! A Littlefinger indeed! :fencing:

She not only didn't flinch, she wanted to pet him!

And then his dagger, that sounds better than knife, d is for... And then she cupped his cheek.

These two are too much.

I'd say we're doing our own 'gossiping at the well'. You two are cracking me up! :cheers:

• 3 months later...

Archived