The Riverlands Web V.6

Booknerd2

I did, but after I found my chapter.   In fact, your search function gave me a piece of news I have to work out.   I have been thinking Reynald Westerling was Robb's squire, but the way it's worded maybe Rollam is the squire and Reynald is older?    Great research tool thanks for suggesting it.  

And I agree it's entirely possible the QI & Meribald were previously working together and more currently with the BWB.   Honestly every time I research the BWB the scope gets larger and deeper.    I'm trying to piece out how Sandor will reemerge in the story.   It would all click a lot more if I knew for sure that LSH knows Arya is alive.  TBH, that's sort of where it all started, how will Arya become a human again?   Seems to me The Hound taught her a great deal about her own humanity, but I don't think she grasps it yet.   I believe Thoros is unhappy with LSH.  Lem wearing the Hound helmet is just gross.   He was a very cool good guy. Members have left them, though it seems as though 10 new supporters show up for every 1 that leaves.    It bothers me that so many of the core group we became acquainted with are missing in Feast.   I'll be using your search function to find other characters with their descriptions.   For any one who hasn't used it, the thing is quite fast.    It beats the heck out of reading entire chapters on a phone.  

I think it is probably likely the Blackfish makes a play to rescue Edmure, too. This ties him in to the story of the Tullys. I think family comes first with them. So who is there, that he knows about, there's Edmure, and likely there will be Lady Stoneheart, who is not the Catelyn he knew. But he also knows about Sweetrobin, and he needs rescuing badly. I think Sandor will come back to the story in connection with Sansa, there is just too much setup there for it to be anything else. The next thing is for them all to find out about Littlefinger. And with the developments in Sansa's last chapter, that should create some necessary movement along those lines.

At 10,000+ posts Le Cygne, your opinion carries considerable weight.  I've never read a story like this.  I've read it enough times to know it's not going in any direction I think it should, but at least I can try to piece it together now.   That's something.  The comparisons to Beauty and the Beast are compelling and I've picked out small "tropes" from other classic tales.   My biggest problem is in this story not giving anyone a break.   This is the guy who killed Ned and had Brienne's face eaten.   He's not a nice man.   As clear as Sandor rejoining the story through Sansa is, I can't forget who's writing it.   Except when I'm here with you folks, it's easier to hope.  

The post count means I probably said too much. :)

I agree, he's not a very hopeful author, and that's not realism, in reality, finding a little happiness in life is not such a rare thing. But he does set things up, so if you spot a bunch, it seems likely he will use it. Like he says here:

"You know, I don't like to give things away." says Martin, a grin spreading across his face. "But you don't hang a giant wolf pack on the wall unless you intend to use it."

http://mashable.com/2014/11/16/george-rr-martin-charity-event/

I did, but after I found my chapter.   In fact, your search function gave me a piece of news I have to work out.   I have been thinking Reynald Westerling was Robb's squire, but the way it's worded maybe Rollam is the squire and Reynald is older?    Great research tool thanks for suggesting it.  

And I agree it's entirely possible the QI & Meribald were previously working together and more currently with the BWB.   Honestly every time I research the BWB the scope gets larger and deeper.    I'm trying to piece out how Sandor will reemerge in the story.   It would all click a lot more if I knew for sure that LSH knows Arya is alive.  TBH, that's sort of where it all started, how will Arya become a human again?   Seems to me The Hound taught her a great deal about her own humanity, but I don't think she grasps it yet.   I believe Thoros is unhappy with LSH.  Lem wearing the Hound helmet is just gross.   He was a very cool good guy. Members have left them, though it seems as though 10 new supporters show up for every 1 that leaves.    It bothers me that so many of the core group we became acquainted with are missing in Feast.   I'll be using your search function to find other characters with their descriptions.   For any one who hasn't used it, the thing is quite fast.    It beats the heck out of reading entire chapters on a phone.  

Glad to be of help.

I think it is probably likely the Blackfish makes a play to rescue Edmure, too. This ties him in to the story of the Tullys. I think family comes first with them. So who is there, that he knows about, there's Edmure, and likely there will be Lady Stoneheart, who is not the Catelyn he knew. But he also knows about Sweetrobin, and he needs rescuing badly. I think Sandor will come back to the story in connection with Sansa, there is just too much setup there for it to be anything else. The next thing is for them all to find out about Littlefinger. And with the developments in Sansa's last chapter, that should create some necessary movement along those lines.

"I will permit you to take the black. Ned Stark's bastard is the Lord Commander on the Wall."

The Blackfish narrowed his eyes. "Did your father arrange for that as well? Catelyn never trusted the boy, as I recall, no more than she ever trusted Theon Greyjoy. It would seem she was right about them both. No, ser, I think not. I'll die warm, if you please, with a sword in hand running red with lion blood."  

If Blackfish doesn't think highly of Jon, which Stark is he holding Riverrun for?  I can't help but wonder if Baelish is in communication with the Blackfish and he knows that Sansa is safe in the Vale.

Little Finger hasn't seemed interested in the Riverlands at all.   Though I bet he has some evil score board for every awful thing that happens there.  I imagine LF remembers Black Fish from his childhood at River Run, but can't imagine he would reach out to him for anything. I've wondered why the Lords Declarant never sent for him and that is exactly the connection I couldn't see before.  Maybe one of them has communicated current events in the Vale?  BF has an indisputable reputation for nobility and fearlessness.  If that same guy served in my hometown for 20 years that's just the guy I would send a raven to.    I still think BF has to get Jeyne & Edmure to safety before he does anything else.   That's based on his reputation and his own words.   In another thread someone asked why Ned didn't lie to Cat about Jon being Lyanna and some random guy's baby.   Someone mentioned that if Cat had been accepting of Jon Snow she would have been viewed as unSouthron?   Is that a thing?  Maybe it is a thing to stick by whatever your niece says and maybe he continued to fly Stark banners over River Run because he believed in his great nephew.  That part was always strange. 

My new schedule stinks….that is all.

No wait, that is not all. I do have a some more Stranger stuff to make up for my lack of a decent presence. So aggravated, believe me…I read the posts and there are so many. Really great stuff. So I am going to try and come back tomorrow and get to it.

But Stranger can take the reigns until I do.

When Stranger and Sandor argue over Gregor and other things:

Hour 3...

Stranger: You are a Clegane not me. Just because we have the same last name... that's your brother. Not mine. I'm not related by any type of blood or psychosis, thank you very much. All you. You deal with him. I will help where I can.  I am the personal and only horse of the guy, that means you, that is the bodyguard of the King of Westeros. I'm kind of a big deal. Remember that. Or I'll just have to keep reminding you.

Sandor: He will cut you in half. Stop nagging. Are you my horse or my wife?

Stranger: Ok, let's back it up. Forget that. You deal with him then. And that last part was not funny, but I will admit that we do argue like we're married. I like to think I keep you on your toes. 

Sandor: Don't you get anything out of it? I do take care of you.

Stranger: Oh, square meals, some half-assed grooming, and aggravation. Counts for something, I guess. You know, that one family almost bought me,a noble House with pretty decent social standing too. I really hope the grass isn't greener on the other side...

Sandor: Shut up, Stranger.

Stranger: Fine. Make that two apples and I'll stop.  For now….

Sandor: You never let it go.

Stranger: Neither do you. Especially with that girl that hates your guts. How about three then? Feeling generous?

You're totally channeling Stranger! :lol:

I can't wait for book 6. You know we will all be cheering when he appears and the minute he does something funny again like when he "got lost" the thread will die laughing. lol!

The minute he appears off that Isle too will be hilarious.

I can only imagine the "excuses" for how he got lost back there. LOL!

I can't wait for book 6. You know we will all be cheering when he appears and the minute he does something funny again like when he "got lost" the thread will die laughing. lol!

The minute he appears off that Isle too will be hilarious.

I can only imagine the "excuses" for how he got lost back there. LOL!

Oh, that's true. I hope GRRM knows how much we like him! He gave him such a personality, he has to know.

Arya even liked him! Which really means she liked Sandor. "She was a good enough horse, but Arya couldn't love a coward. Stranger would have fought."

I want Stranger and Sansa to meet again, most of all, will they accept each other for Sandor's sake? He can love both of them.

Stay tuned for another episode of... As The Horse Turns.

I rather doubt he meant that about Jon...

So what was the point of all that conversation with Jaime?

Little Finger hasn't seemed interested in the Riverlands at all.   Though I bet he has some evil score board for every awful thing that happens there.  I imagine LF remembers Black Fish from his childhood at River Run, but can't imagine he would reach out to him for anything. I've wondered why the Lords Declarant never sent for him and that is exactly the connection I couldn't see before.  Maybe one of them has communicated current events in the Vale?  BF has an indisputable reputation for nobility and fearlessness.  If that same guy served in my hometown for 20 years that's just the guy I would send a raven to.    I still think BF has to get Jeyne & Edmure to safety before he does anything else.   That's based on his reputation and his own words.   In another thread someone asked why Ned didn't lie to Cat about Jon being Lyanna and some random guy's baby.   Someone mentioned that if Cat had been accepting of Jon Snow she would have been viewed as unSouthron?   Is that a thing?  Maybe it is a thing to stick by whatever your niece says and maybe he continued to fly Stark banners over River Run because he believed in his great nephew.  That part was always strange. 

Not interested even though he is the Lord Paramount of the Riverlands??? Baelish has plans for the Riverlands. Oh I agree that BF is going to rescue Edmure in the prologue of TWOW.  BF was like a father to Baelish was a kid.  If Baelish has plans for the Riverlands I think he would want the help of the Blackfish.  Also the Blackfish was the the Knight of the Gate for like 15 years. He was likely highly respected by the Lords of the Vale, especially the ones who wanted to join the war on the side of the Starks and Tully's.

So what was the point of all that conversation with Jaime?

Not interested even though he is the Lord Paramount of the Riverlands??? Baelish has plans for the Riverlands. Oh I agree that BF is going to rescue Edmure in the prologue of TWOW.  BF was like a father to Baelish was a kid.  If Baelish has plans for the Riverlands I think he would want the help of the Blackfish.  Also the Blackfish was the the Knight of the Gate for like 15 years. He was likely highly respected by the Lords of the Vale, especially the ones who wanted to join the war on the side of the Starks and Tully's.

LF first has to take control of the Vale. But, I'm sure he does have plans for the Riverlands in the long-run. Gaining control of two contiguous regions would make him enormously powerful.

LF first has to take control of the Vale. But, I'm sure he does have plans for the Riverlands in the long-run. Gaining control of two contiguous regions would make him enormously powerful.

Baelish is well on his way to control in the Vale.

[Spoiler] If the Alayne preview chapters are any indications. [/Spoiler]

I think he has plans to unite the Vale, Riverlands, and North behind Sansa.

Baelish is well on his way to control in the Vale.

[Spoiler] If the Alayne preview chapters are any indications. [/Spoiler]

I think he has plans to unite the Vale, Riverlands, and North behind Sansa.

I don't know if LF has agents with the BWB, but he must know how tenuous the Frey/Lannister position is in the Riverlands. Edmure Tully might be an obstacle to taking control, but I'm sure he's thought of that. As Lord Paramount, he could announce he was confiscating the Twins and Riverrun, due to their owners' crimes, and restoring the latter to House Tully. That would give legitimacy to the likely insurrection in the Riverlands.

Kinda agree but I think there is something more to this than it meets the eye. I don't believe that his intentions towards these regions are good, power or not.

Good or evil Littlefinger's actions benefit Littlefinger that is certainly true.

I don't know if LF has agents with the BWB, but he must know how tenuous the Frey/Lannister position is in the Riverlands. Edmure Tully might be an obstacle to taking control, but I'm sure he's thought of that. As Lord Paramount, he could announce he was confiscating the Twins and Riverrun, due to their owners' crimes, and restoring the latter to House Tully. That would give legitimacy to the likely insurrection in the Riverlands.

Indeed. By turning on the Frey's he would win over a large portion of the Riverlands.  He is waiting for the right moment to make his move.

Good or evil Littlefinger's actions benefit Littlefinger that is certainly true.

I think this is more than simply getting a benefit. I think LF wants the fully destruction of those places because they mean a part of his life he wants to forget. The Vale represents his humble origins; the Riverlands, the place where he was humiliated and the North, the Starks, the ones who "took" Cat away.

That's an interesting thought.  Plus, he's trying to control the export of food from the Vale, a very important bargaining chip.  I'm not convinced he would have infiltrated the BWB, really they're just more bandits in the RL, a region filled chaos and poverty from the wars aftermath.  Why put spies in a small outlaw band when one has the food?  The BWB is hanging Freys an Lannisters, LF's enemies anyway. 

If he were to make a power play, he'd need an army and the Vale has troops.  But with winter arriving it might not be time to make his move.

That's an interesting thought.  Plus, he's trying to control the export of food from the Vale, a very important bargaining chip.  I'm not convinced he would have infiltrated the BWB, really they're just more bandits in the RL, a region filled chaos and poverty from the wars aftermath.  Why put spies in a small outlaw band when one has the food?  The BWB is hanging Freys an Lannisters, LF's enemies anyway. 

If he were to make a power play, he'd need an army and the Vale has troops.  But with winter arriving it might not be time to make his move.

The BWB are more than a small outlaw band. They're the classic insurgency that are the fish swimming among the sea of peasants (and even some gentry) across the Riverlands.

Archived