TTTNE 450: One Thread to Rule Them All

HexMachina

Morning one, morning all!

Fool's Fate spoiler:

Please tell me Fitzy gets his Skill back. :bawl: :crying:

That's sad :( I am going to worldcon, since it's so close to my house (relatively speaking), so I thought I should come back and re-connect. I've missed my spammy friends. So now, that's you guys! I declare it, you'll all my friends starting right now.

Well I am glad to hear that. :D

I'm sorry I missed this.

Most people do find out the hard way, but you know I've had this idea that there should be like . . . I don't know? Instructions with this thread? Most important really for new people to know is there are restrictions here about topics of discussion. As you well know, having been here longer than me, the friendly supportive atmosphere of this place doesn't happen by accident. The mods with your help and Nog's (as Queen & King of the Spamperial Court) direct certain types of contentious discussions to GenCat. I think it's worth letting people know that before it becomes a problem. Unless you are looking for opportunities to take out the whip of propriety?

I do enjoy greeting people in introductions, and have made some good friends that way. And if a new poster mentions they are looking for friendly conversation and getting to know fellow ASOIAF fans a little better, yes, I point them here. Maybe it's just me, but I feel like it's good to have as many friendly faces in the spamily as possible - new, old and steady.

There are. In the pinned thread with the title Forum Games Information, which is the first thing anybody stumbling into FG should read, IMO. If you happen to click on FG, and skim over the thread titles on the first page, why would you first click on the one that you do absolutely not know what it means? If somebody completely new comes into TTTNE and asks "What does TTTNE mean?", my first impression will be they are both stupid and lazy.

And I am pretty sure anybody who reads a few pages before they post will realise what topics are talked about here and nobody would just come here and start discussing politics. ;) And no, I am not looking for opportunities to whip anybody. ;)

Well, we do not really discuss much ASOIAF here. :P

I mostly enjoy seeing old faces because they are trusted and known. Every new person who comes might be somebody one actually knows from RL or a troll or they might not even want to stay around or something. If they are friendly and trustworthy and going to stay around, they will find us themselves. :) If not, no need to invite trouble IMO.

I just prefer a smaller group of friends that I know I can completely trust over a whole bunch of people who occasionally pop in, say hi, and then disappear for the next half a year.

Who are the spam royalty for this year? Did it just swap?

*curtsey* On your service, my lady.

If anybody is interested in revising history for a bit, here is a whole list of the spam rulers up to date:

HRH Jagged – Former Spam Lord 2006

HRH Ghosts Companion – Former Spam Queen 2006

HRH Colder Hands – Former Spam Lord 2007

HRH Turinqui-Calima – Former Spam Queen 2007

HRH Space Bandito – Former Spam Lord 2008

HRH Pebble that Hides – Former Spampress 2009

HRH Silverstar – Former Spampress 2010

HRH BlueRose – Former Spampress 2010

HRH Benionwa – Former Spam Lord 2011

HRH Jade – Former Pharaoh 2011

HRH Ser Lany Cassandra – Former Spam Queen 2012

HRH Mlle. Zabzie – Former Spam Queen 2012

HRH SalomeSandWitch – Former Spam Queen 2012

HRH ICE CROW – Former Spam King 2013

HRH Zar Lannister – Former Spam King 2013

HRH the maid of woodlynne – Former Spam Queen 2014

HRH King Tyrion I – Former Spam King 2014

TheCrannogDweller and Buckwheat, this years royalty hails from Southeastern Europe.

If you were not US American, you would almost deserve the whip for that. :P Our geography school books say otherwise.

Eira, we'd ceased trading at the cafe, so this week we are emptying the shop and moving all our stuff out and disputing methods of disposal.

Tom wants to sell some stuff online, I want to send it all to auction and not have the stress (or the stuff hanging around forever!!)

He will go back to fly-in fly-out work within a month, and I dont want to be stuck with a cluttered patio waiting for it all to sell. So I might have to negotiate that anything that doesn't sell by a week before he goes back, goes to auction, or charity.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do! :)

Just read a few pages back as if you were a newbie. Would it make you feel this was a comfortable place? Not really IMO.

Hello Starky, hope you're feeling better :grouphug:

Gillio, it must be hard to get all the stuff sold. Sending good vibes :grouphug:

Good day folks.

Welcome back BlueRose! We've met here, since I've been around for a while. Nice to see you again :)

Gillio, good luck with the negotiations with hubby :fencing: Be tough!

Congrats on getting snow, Starky :D It's still snowing here, but it's very pleasantly just a few degrees below freezing.

Bucky, I'd say southern Central Europe for you, is that what your books say too?

I agree with you in part btw, about people finding their own way here just fine. We usually get a wave of new spammers every show season, and that is nice, but as you say, they find their way here. Or are encouraged to come by the people they interact with regularly here on the other forums. It's good to have a feeling for the board and this forum, how it works, what is ok, etc. I do like that new spammers find their way here though. People drop away all the time.

TheCrannogDweller and Buckwheat, this years royalty hails from Southeastern Europe. :D

If you were not US American, you would almost deserve the whip for that. :P Our geography school books say otherwise.

Honestly, Walrus, it's Eastern Europe, not South Eastern. Duh.

Bucky, I'd say southern Central Europe for you, is that what your books say too?

I agree with you in part btw, about people finding their own way here just fine. We usually get a wave of new spammers every show season, and that is nice, but as you say, they find their way here. Or are encouraged to come by the people they interact with regularly here on the other forums. It's good to have a feeling for the board and this forum, how it works, what is ok, etc. I do like that new spammers find their way here though. People drop away all the time.

Yeah, our geography books would say Slovenia is central Europe. And Bulgaria would be ... uh, I honestly do not remember if southern or eastern. I think eastern.

Yes, that. You said it much better than me. :) I did not want to sound that harsh as I did. New people are welcome. Though sometimes one wishes old people would not drop away. :( *shakes fist* You hear that, Zar, Liar, ned, Killer Cacti, Chelly, CROW HAR HAR HAR? :P

ETA: It is still snowing, very thickly. :wub:

Both Slovenia and Bulgaria are South eastern from a UK perspective :P But yeah, in a general sense I would say Slovenia is central.

Hello Starky, hope you're feeling better :grouphug:

Hey Adara, thanks. It's gradually getting better :grouphug:

Good day folks.

Congrats on getting snow, Starky :D It's still snowing here, but it's very pleasantly just a few degrees below freezing.

It hasn't settled though unfortunately :( I wanna build a snowman!

Both Slovenia and Bulgaria are South eastern from a UK perspective :P But yeah, in a general sense I would say Slovenia is central.

Hey Adara, thanks. It's gradually getting better :grouphug:

Snow dinosaurs are way better. :cool4:

:P

I do hope your neck gets better. :)

I am procrastinating with my learning ... have an exam on Thursday. This is the last one this semester. And I feel like the pile of things to arrange is going to bury me and it is making me moody. <_< I cannot wait to be over with the paperwork and can actually go somewhere. I am both excited and worried.

Hi abby :D

Nogg, I would place in Eastern Europe but Bucky is definitey in Central :P

Yeah, our geography books would say Slovenia is central Europe. And Bulgaria would be ... uh, I honestly do not remember if southern or eastern. I think eastern.

Yes, that. You said it much better than me. :) I did not want to sound that harsh as I did. New people are welcome. Though sometimes one wishes old people would not drop away. :( *shakes fist* You hear that, Zar, Liar, ned, Killer Cacti, Chelly, CROW HAR HAR HAR? :P

ETA: It is still snowing, very thickly. :wub:

Not according to the EU. :devil: http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/a/aa/European_sub-regions_%28according_to_EuroVoc%2C_the_thesaurus_of_the_EU%29.png

Hey Adara, thanks. It's gradually getting better

Good to hear you are getting better!

Let it gooo :leaving:

Snow dinosaurs are way better. :cool4:

:P

I do hope your neck gets better. :)

I am procrastinating with my learning ... have an exam on Thursday. This is the last one this semester. And I feel like the pile of things to arrange is going to bury me and it is making me moody. <_< I cannot wait to be over with the paperwork and can actually go somewhere. I am both excited and worried.

This time it will go smoothly and everything will be great! :commie: I have spoken, and thus it shall be.

The EU is being a silly old fart :smug: That is the old political map, even if it is still in use. And yes, I know you know this and I'm pretty sure we already had this discussion :D but really it should change imo.

Good to hear you are getting better!

Let it gooo :leaving:

This time it will go smoothly and everything will be great! :commie: I have spoken, and thus it shall be.

The EU is being a silly old fart :smug: That is the old political map, even if it is still in use. And yes, I know you know this and I'm pretty sure we already had this discussion :D but really it should change imo.

Meh, you're all Eastern to us. :P

And you are Eastern to the Irish :P Got to draw the line somewhere right?

We did :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_meridian#International_prime_meridian

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_meridian_(Greenwich)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IERS_Reference_Meridian

So, technically, we're a long way West of Ireland.

:lmao: wonderful.

That makes most of Britain very far east as well though.

hello people. hope you're well.

Morning one, morning all!

There are. In the pinned thread with the title Forum Games Information, which is the first thing anybody stumbling into FG should read, IMO. If you happen to click on FG, and skim over the thread titles on the first page, why would you first click on the one that you do absolutely not know what it means? If somebody completely new comes into TTTNE and asks "What does TTTNE mean?", my first impression will be they are both stupid and lazy.

And I am pretty sure anybody who reads a few pages before they post will realise what topics are talked about here and nobody would just come here and start discussing politics. ;) And no, I am not looking for opportunities to whip anybody. ;)

I mostly enjoy seeing old faces because they are trusted and known. Every new person who comes might be somebody one actually knows from RL or a troll or they might not even want to stay around or something. If they are friendly and trustworthy and going to stay around, they will find us themselves. :) If not, no need to invite trouble IMO.

I just prefer a smaller group of friends that I know I can completely trust over a whole bunch of people who occasionally pop in, say hi, and then disappear for the next half a year.

i dunno bucky , that sounds quite unkind . i mean i was one of those who did not read the information and i came because wally invited me here (much like HC is inviting newcomers ) and i wouldn't consider myself stupid or lazy .i do not think i would've come or noticed at all if it weren't for that invitation , just get bored with Gen ASOIAF and then leave . i see where you're coming from , as in keeping this place cozy and familiar , but if you ask me, if JUST one of those people invited sticks and becomes a "usual familiar member" , that's still a WIN . Trolls and all that are an inevitable risk of an open community , it's the same IRL ; letting new people into your life is scary and not a sure thing but it's the way forward . and i hate to quote Abby but "stagnation is death" :P

i see we're discussing geography ... must resist ... imperialistic urges !

You are us ! Da ? :commie:

I tried.

*curtsey* On your service, my lady.

Well it's not quite as simple as you lay it out.

1) There's your methodical and organized (and laudable, wish I was capable of such a thing) way of approaching TTTNE.

2) There the lazy and stupid way, though I have no idea what qualifies for this distinction.

3) There's stumbling onto the thing and diving in head first like I did.

I had come across the letters TTTNE and asked on the abbreviations thread what they meant. Angalin happened to be the one who answered me and she also provided a link to the current thread at that time (which was something like #392).

So I checked it out and bookmarked it and soon started posting.

Because I was going straight in via a bookmark, I never noticed that TTTNE was in forum games till much later. Not that I paid much attention to which forum I was in. Over time, I've slowly gotten an appreciation for what the different forum titles mean and why it's all organized the way it is. A little appreciation, that is. I rarely pay any attention to the forums themselves.

Otherwise, why can't TTTNE be like other games in this forum where the rules are explained in the O.P. Seems perfectly logical to me?

Eta

I take it back!

I had read this (long ago & I had forgotten)!! It's entirely insufficient. That's why I think there should be some boiler plate in every TTTNE OP to explain certain things.

So here's Sophelia's paragraph on TTTNE:

"TTTNE (The thread that never ends)

The original TTTNE was started by OsRavan in General Chatter when this board was new, with the idea of making the longest thread ever. It got to around 21k posts before being deleted, much of it pure spam, mixed with whimsy and humour. The thread is now allowed to continue, in the form of never-ending threadlets. Each threadlet is 1000 posts long. There are no constraints on content, though cheese, spam and alcohol are always popular topics. It has been described as a sort of very slow version of a chatroom."

It's very nice but leaves out some critical information:

- there's no mention of the race. Iirc, the formalization that it starts at 950 happened after I joined - and long after Sophelia posted this.

- there's no mention that certain topics are off limits here, like politics, race, and religion (both allowed in GenChat however).

- you don't necessarily want to dwell on the thread that must not be named, but there should be an awareness that certain behaviors aren't tolerated in TTTNE that might be OK elsewhere on site.

- an explanation of what and how to spoiler tag certain subjects would also be ideal.

Archived