A New Look At Guessing Games: Tragic Couples

PancakeMountainThatRides

I want to send one but I don't find it that easy. Tragedy is such the order of the day in Westeros I can't even recognise it. I just think That's life!

Here's the list I put together for a potential Elimination Game based on the tragic couples topic. I would understand if you want to come up with your own list, but maybe you could use this as a jumping off point to get some ideas. There's 34 couples here and admittedly, some are far fetched - they are more potential than real. Also, the list that I submitted to Pancake has some names on it that don't appear here.

most tragic couple (by hc)

1) Lyanna/Rhaegar

2) Lyanna/Robert

3) Elia Martell/Rhaegar

4) Lysa/LF

5) Catelyn/LF

6) Lysa/Jon Arryn

7) Jon Snow/Ygritte

8) Tyrion/Shae

9) Tyrion/Tysha

10) Tyrion/Sansa

11) Tyrion/Penny

12) Ned/Ashara

13) Ned/Catelyn

14) Cersei/Jamie

15) Tywin/Joanna

16) Brandon Stark/Catelyn

17) Brandon Stark/Lady Dustin

18) Sansa/the Hound

19) Dany/Drogo

20) Jorah/Lynesse

21) Margaery/Renly

22) Loras/Renly

23) Stannis/Melisanre

24) Stannis/Selyse

25) Asha/Tristifer Botley

26) Arya/Gendry

27) Jamie/Brienne

28) Brienne/Renly

29) Arianne/Aerys Oakheart

30) Quentyn/Dany

31) Margaery/Joffrey

32) Robb/Jeyne

33) Edmure/Roslin

34) Emmon Frey/Genna Lannister

^ That's basically everyone/everyone, whether they're really tragic or not. ;) And it also does not include non-romantic and non-married couples.

My own list will probably be coming this evening or tomorrow, I've almost finished, I'm just not sure of the order.

I want to send one but I don't find it that easy. Tragedy is such the order of the day in Westeros I can't even recognise it. I just think That's life!

lol That's very true. It might be easier to try and focus on something in particular. Focus on romances or certain tragic characters who inevitably have tragic relationships or exclude characters who aren't present in the actual books. You'll certainly leave out some, but it at least helps you narrow down the massive list of tragic pairs. :P There isn't really a wrong way to make your list.

Thanks for letting me know, Annara and Lyanna! And thanks, Sapna. I'll send out some messages sometime today. :)

Hello, guessers, and welcome to the 8th Edition of the New Guessing Game! :commie:

Some shout-outs:

• Congratulations to a shadow for winning the last game! :cheers:

A big thanks to Lord Sapna for hosting the last game!

And, of course, thank you to Bustard for creating the game!

The topic for this round is: Tragic Couples

• This will NOT be limited to romantic relationships, but please use your best judgment and use pairs that have some relationship with each other. Arya and Merrett Frey are not a tragic couple because she never got the chance to kill him herself. ;)

No animals, please.

Normally, the list is restricted to from the beginning of Aerys II's reign to the present. This will still mostly apply, but I am willing to accept couples from The Princess and the Queen, The Rogue Prince, and the Dunk and Egg novellas.

I forgot to ask - are we allowed historical couples who are mentioned in the main books and TWOAIF (and is it a problem if we don't get the name of one of them or the full story except in TWOAIF)?

Looking over my preliminary list, I've got some 15 romantic ones, 6-7 non-romantic ones (friendly, familial etc.) and one that could be either, depending on the source... so I'm going to have to chuck some out. But I really want to include some of those historical ones that are really heartbreaking.

Yes if they're mentioned in the main books. No if they're just in TWOIAF, just because it has so much. And it's ok if you don't know one's name (like if someone said Victarion and his wife). :)

I do know the names, it's just that her name and backstory is, I think, only revealed in TWOAIF, although they and what happened to them are mentioned multiple times in the main books.

Archived